OT South African Mystery Spheres

Old March 23rd 05, 05:35 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:47:05 -0600, Mary Shafer wrote
(in article ):

ncidentally, let me introduce an entrancing new time-wasting site,
http://20q.net, which will help explain why I'm running so far
behind on Usenet. I actually got behind when I added the StumbleUpon
extension to Firefox and this site added to my woes. I even went to
http://www.20q.com and bought a couple of the little hand-held
version for our god-kids (and one for myself, naturally).

Mary "try 'diagonal cutters (dykes)' at 20q.net"

Heh, My older daughter has a little electronic gadget that plays 20
Questions incredibly well for a device with the processing capability of an
Apollo Guidance Computer.

The site guessed my cell phone within 16 questions, but I had the last laugh.
I fooled it with a certain item my wife likes - after 27 questions it gave
up with the final guess, "Get your mind out of the gutter - but I am guessing
it has something to do with sex!" ;-)

--
Herb Schaltegger, GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 23rd 05, 07:42 PM
Pat Flannery

Mary Shafer wrote:

I still think that nature can produce pretty fancy shapes that would
seem to be man-made. How about cave pearls, for example. Have a look
at http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/virtcave/pearls/madperls.jpg.
I've got a couple of these and they're not particularly fragile.
They're certainly not brittle. They are really cool, though.

Try to dent one and tell me what happens.
These two photos appear to show two different spheres, based on the
differing degree of oblatness:
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids.jpg
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids2.jpg
(unless somebody's been fiddling with the pictures to get the second one
to be more spherical, although you note that the hole in the center of
the dent appears to be off-center in the opposite direction in the
second photo.)
Each has a dent or hole in it...I suspect there is another hole 180
degrees opposite of it, as this is where the string goes through them
when they are made into a necklace or bracelet. I think these are
corroded brass or bronze beads of some sort.
The corrosion visible on them has a whitish or greenish hue, which
suggests copper is a key component of their chemical makeup.

Cave pearls require a lot of free water but sun disks (pyrite suns)
don't and they look about as man-made as they can be. I was sure they
were cast, not grown naturally.

Those are neat; I don't have one, but I've seen them. You should see my
"Fossil Chesire Cat" sometime. I was out rockhounding, and came across a
dark gray rock with a calcite intrusion in it that makes a white toothy
grin on one side.

Incidentally, let me introduce an entrancing new time-wasting site,
http://20q.net,

Yeah, somebody else mentioned that site here a few weeks back; the thing
is scary, isn't it?

Pat
Old March 24th 05, 01:53 AM
Terrell Miller

Pat Flannery wrote:

Try to dent one and tell me what happens.
These two photos appear to show two different spheres, based on the
differing degree of oblatness:
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids.jpg
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids2.jpg

it's too small to be a space station

--
Terrell Miller

"Every gardener knows nature's random cruelty"
-Paul Simon George Harrison
Old March 24th 05, 02:32 AM
OM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:53:25 -0500, Terrell Miller
wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

Try to dent one and tell me what happens.
These two photos appear to show two different spheres, based on the
differing degree of oblatness:
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids.jpg
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids2.jpg

it's too small to be a space station

....I have a bad feeling about this. Chewie, get us out of here!

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 24th 05, 08:18 AM
Pat Flannery

Terrell Miller wrote:

Try to dent one and tell me what happens.
These two photos appear to show two different spheres, based on the
differing degree of oblatness:
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids.jpg
http://www.ufoarea.com/pictures/spheroids2.jpg

it's too small to be a space station

Yeah, but you might be able to do light saber practice with it. :-)