Cheaper Mission to Mars

Old February 19th 04, 11:52 AM
jidi

Default Cheaper Mission to Mars

How much cheaper would it be to send a man to Mars with no option to return?
I'm sure you would be able to get an aging/mad/fed up Professor somewhere to
volunteer. Send him in a capsule with 2 weeks supply of food and some
equipment for experiments.

Old February 19th 04, 02:15 PM
Hallerb

How much cheaper would it be to send a man to Mars with no option to return?
I'm sure you would be able to get an aging/mad/fed up Professor somewhere to
volunteer. Send him in a capsule with 2 weeks supply of food and some
equipment for experiments.

boy is tat a dumb idea, voters would never approve of sending someone off
intentially to their deathj
Old February 19th 04, 04:06 PM
Alan Erskine

"jidi" wrote in message
How much cheaper would it be to send a man to Mars with no option to

return?
I'm sure you would be able to get an aging/mad/fed up Professor somewhere

volunteer. Send him in a capsule with 2 weeks supply of food and some
equipment for experiments.

Just to send someone to Mars, you could send a convict for all the science
you'd get back! Just as likely/practical as your suggestion.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old February 19th 04, 06:41 PM
Brian Gaff

"Hallerb" wrote in message

| How much cheaper would it be to send a man to Mars with no option to
return?
| I'm sure you would be able to get an aging/mad/fed up Professor somewhere
| volunteer. Send him in a capsule with 2 weeks supply of food and some
| equipment for experiments.
|
| boy is tat a dumb idea, voters would never approve of sending someone off
| intentially to their deathj
I'm surprised nobody has suggested we send criminals there and not bring
them back, it sounds just about right for the hang em high brigade to
me....:-)

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 19th 04, 07:44 PM
Derek Lyons

jeff findley wrote:

The astronaut core has lots of post-child raising adults
that would be good candidates

Since you were getting on Hal about his spelling...

That's "corps" not "core"

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old February 19th 04, 08:06 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Derek Lyons wrote:
jeff findley wrote:

The astronaut core has lots of post-child raising adults
that would be good candidates

Since you were getting on Hal about his spelling...

That's "corps" not "core"

I dunno... if you take astronaut cores, they're probably adult and
almost certainly in no state to raise children afterwards...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old February 19th 04, 08:36 PM
Bootstrap Bill

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
"Hallerb" wrote in message

| How much cheaper would it be to send a man to Mars with no option to
return?
| I'm sure you would be able to get an aging/mad/fed up Professor

somewhere
| volunteer. Send him in a capsule with 2 weeks supply of food and some
| equipment for experiments.
|
| boy is tat a dumb idea, voters would never approve of sending someone

off
| intentially to their deathj
I'm surprised nobody has suggested we send criminals there and not bring
them back, it sounds just about right for the hang em high brigade to
me....:-)

It would be cheaper to put them under the rockets than in them

Old February 19th 04, 10:06 PM
R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

In message , "Brian
Gaff" wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has suggested we send criminals there and not bring
them back, it sounds just about right for the hang em high brigade to
me....:-)

That's not such a silly idea, really, if you ask for volunteers and
maintain them for longer than two weeks. I imagine there would be any
number of death row inmates (or even lifers) who would jump at the
chance to serve their sentence on Mars instead of in prison. The only
problem would be finding qualified candidates.
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/