generational markers (was "Disney's Man In Space")

Old July 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Terrell Miller

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Let's see... some day we'll take them up on the Grand Idea and change
the Anthem to "America The Beautiful" with a few politically necessary
changes... It'll start:
"America, America, something may have shed its grace on thee..."

nah, "shed its grace on..." is imperialistic double-speak and perpetuates
the (supposed) supremacy of white males. Use of the word "grace" is
demeaning to the differently-abled who (through no fault of their own)
cannot help but be less graceful than their traditionally-abled peers. And
using the word "beautiful" in the title is demeaning to women who reject the
sexist stereotypes of physical attractiveness.

"America, America, we share our diversity with thee..."

--
Terrell Miller

(you think I'm kidding, but this is the kind of PC **** that entire
departments in your local college are based upon)

Old July 5th 04, 04:56 AM
Neil Gerace

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
"Gordon Davie" wrote in message

Local rumor has it that one of teh German spies/saboteurs who was
landed on the Maine Coast was caught after he sang all 4 verses of the
"Star Spangled Banner" - something that no Proper American can do
without sheet music.

"I say, can you see?"

Australia: "girt by sea" and ****ed by lunchtime.

Old July 5th 04, 11:37 AM
OM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:13:38 -0400, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

"Gordon Davie" wrote in message

Local rumor has it that one of teh German spies/saboteurs who was
landed on the Maine Coast was caught after he sang all 4 verses of the
"Star Spangled Banner" - something that no Proper American can do
without sheet music.

"I say, can you see?"

"My eyes? If you can, then my hair's too short!"

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 5th 04, 02:12 PM
Mike Flugennock

In article , "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Let's see... some day we'll take them up on the Grand Idea and change
the Anthem to "America The Beautiful" with a few politically necessary
changes... It'll start:
"America, America, something may have shed its grace on thee..."

nah, "shed its grace on..." is imperialistic double-speak and perpetuates
the (supposed) supremacy of white males. Use of the word "grace" is
demeaning to the differently-abled who (through no fault of their own)
cannot help but be less graceful than their traditionally-abled peers. And
using the word "beautiful" in the title is demeaning to women who reject the
sexist stereotypes of physical attractiveness.

"America, America, we share our diversity with thee..."

Actually, I always like George Carlin's version: "O Beautiful, for smoggy
skies, insecticided grain..."

--
"All over, people changing their votes,
along with their overcoats;
Old July 12th 04, 08:26 AM
Johnny Garfield

Dale wrote in message . ..
On 24 Jun 2004 05:03:21 -0700, (Johnny Garfield) wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in message ...
Johnny Garfield wrote:

In regards to KING-TV signing off, how did KING-TV signoff message go?

"We are KING-TV,
Do not write to complain to us;
Tonight we show you Neptune,
But we've also seen Uranus."

LOL- I must have fallen asleep and missed that

I see- but what message was said when KING-TV signed off on a typical night?

At that time- just an announcer (recorded) saying something like "This
concludes another broadcast day for KING TV, channel 5, Seattle,
Washington. KING is an NBC affiliate transmitting with a power of
(whatever) from its transmitter located on Queen Anne Hill" etc.
I think it ended with "We will return to the air at 5:30AM (or whenever).
We at KING TV wish you a good night". Something like that. Why,
do you remember exactly what was said?

After that they showed that 8mm quality film of scenes like the Marine Corps
(Iwo Jima) Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, etc as a miltary band played the
National Anthem.

Channel 13 did it better. They started with Morton Downey Sr. singing "The
Bluebird of Happiness", then a dramatic recitation of the Lord's Prayer with
a guy dressed as an Indian Chief translating the words into sign language,
then kinda a Joan Baez-ish rendition of an obscure and peacemongering
verse of the National Anthem

Dale

Speaking of KCPQ, how did that sign-off message go?
Old July 16th 04, 07:04 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
I found the offical movie website: