Earth's inclination relative to the Milkyway center

Old December 11th 07, 10:17 PM posted to sci.astro, alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Earth's inclination relative to the Milkyway center

Hi

I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.

1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way, during
which month will the earth intersect this line? Since this will be
changing over long time, let us take year 2008 as an example.
2. Earth's inclination is 23.5 degrees. What is the relative position
of the tilted rotational axis with respect to the center of the
MilkyWay? For simplicity let us assume that the earth's rotational
plane is exactly same the the plane of the MilkyWay.

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Dipu

Old December 11th 07, 11:09 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy
Androcles[_4_]

wrote in message
:
: Hi
:
: I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
: solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.
:
: 1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way, during
: which month will the earth intersect this line?

Why should it intersect at all?
The universe is three dimensional, not two.
The centre is in Sagittarius.

: 2. Earth's inclination is 23.5 degrees. What is the relative position
: of the tilted rotational axis with respect to the center of the
: MilkyWay? For simplicity let us assume that the earth's rotational
: plane is exactly same the the plane of the MilkyWay.

That's a simplicity we simply cannot assume.

Why not download Google Earth and use the sky feature?
http://earth.google.com/

Old December 11th 07, 11:21 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy

"Androcles" wrote in message . uk...

wrote in message
:
: Hi
:
: I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
: solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.
:
: 1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way, during
: which month will the earth intersect this line?

Why should it intersect at all?
The universe is three dimensional, not two.
The centre is in Sagittarius.

Last I checked the universe has four dimensions, not three.

Old December 11th 07, 11:30 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy
Androcles[_4_]

wrote in message
. net...
: "Androcles" wrote in message
. uk...
:
: wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : Hi
: :
: : I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
: : solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.
: :
: : 1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way, during
: : which month will the earth intersect this line?
:
: Why should it intersect at all?
: The universe is three dimensional, not two.
: The centre is in Sagittarius.
:
: Last I checked the universe has four dimensions, not three.

Well, actually it has 6.
Three for dimensional analysis, being mass, length and time,
and three for spatial geometry being x,y, and z. That's 6.
I'd check again if I were you. Or learn to count.

Old December 11th 07, 11:57 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy

"Androcles" wrote in message . uk...

wrote in message
. net...
: "Androcles" wrote in message
. uk...
:
: wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : Hi
: :
: : I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
: : solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.
: :
: : 1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way, during
: : which month will the earth intersect this line?
:
: Why should it intersect at all?
: The universe is three dimensional, not two.
: The centre is in Sagittarius.
:
: Last I checked the universe has four dimensions, not three.

Well, actually it has 6.
Three for dimensional analysis, being mass, length and time,

Those first two aren't dimensions you airhead.

Old December 12th 07, 12:19 AM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy
Androcles[_4_]

wrote in message
. net...
: "Androcles" wrote in message
. uk...
:
: wrote in message
: . net...
: : "Androcles" wrote in message
: . uk...
: :
: : wrote in message
: :
: : :
: : : Hi
: : :
: : : I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
: : : solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.
: : :
: : : 1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way,
during
: : : which month will the earth intersect this line?
: :
: : Why should it intersect at all?
: : The universe is three dimensional, not two.
: : The centre is in Sagittarius.
: :
: : Last I checked the universe has four dimensions, not three.
:
: Well, actually it has 6.
: Three for dimensional analysis, being mass, length and time,
:
: Those first two aren't dimensions you airhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis

Oh yes they are, you dumb**** stooopid arsehole.
Go spam someone else.
*plonk*

Old December 12th 07, 03:32 AM posted to sci.astro, alt.astronomy
gb6726

Why not download Google Earth and use the sky feature?
http://earth.google.com/

Because Google is guilty of crimes against humanity for stolen works
of arts.
Why not download things from the mafia or from the White House,
speaking
of 'explain to black people that racism is necessary while 80-90
percent
of Arabs think statistically negatively of Americans as a result of
the Iraq
war'.

Other than that, I don't know the answer to your question. You just
don't.
Old December 12th 07, 11:13 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy
John Schutkeker

wrote in news:605b9956-3937-47f7-b296-52bc40d0f6c8
@b1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

Hi

I have two questions on the relative position of the Earth and the
solar system with respect to the center of Milkyway.

1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way, during
which month will the earth intersect this line? Since this will be
changing over long time, let us take year 2008 as an example.

As has been mentioned, the center of the galaxy is in Sagitarius, and
earth intersects this line 180 degrees (ie six months) from when the sun
is in that constellation. You can look up whatever sign is six months
awaw from it in your newspaper's astrological charts.

2. Earth's inclination is 23.5 degrees. What is the relative position
of the tilted rotational axis with respect to the center of the
MilkyWay? For simplicity let us assume that the earth's rotational
plane is exactly same the the plane of the MilkyWay.

Thanks a lot for your help.

When you go outdoors on a clear night and look at the Milky Way, you are
seeing the galactic plane, with center in Sagitarius, as has been
mentioned. When you look at the north star, you are seeing the
rotational axis of the earth. That should help you to orient the line
and the plane in your mind.

To measure the angle between the two, you need a sextant. Put one axis
onto the north star and the other onto Sagttarius, and the reading on
the sextant is your answer.

To do the math, you'll need spherical trigonometry, which I can't do in
my head. However, the people in sci.math are quite astute about doing
such calculations, and I'll bet that one of the geniuses in there might
able to quickly scribble the answer onto the proverbial napkin.
Old December 14th 07, 04:49 PM posted to sci.astro, alt.astronomy
Steve Willner

On Dec 11, 5:17 pm, wrote:
1. If we draw a line from the sun to the center of Milky way,

This direction is (0,0) in Galactic coordinates.

during
which month will the earth intersect this line?

In Galactic coordinates, the north ecliptic pole is at approximately
(96,30). Ecliptic coordinates (266,0) correspond to Galactic
(4.4,3.5), about as close to the Galactic center direction as the
ecliptic plane comes. Solar longitude 86 occurs in mid-June, which is
the best month to ask for telescope time if you want to observe the
Galactic center.

Since this will be
changing over long time, let us take year 2008 as an example.

A complete cycle takes about 26000 years.

2. Earth's inclination is 23.5 degrees. What is the relative position
of the tilted rotational axis with respect to the center of the
MilkyWay?

The north celestial pole has Galactic coordinates about (123,27).

For simplicity let us assume that the earth's rotational
plane is exactly same the the plane of the MilkyWay.

As you can see, this "assumption" is nowhere close to reality.