ASTRO: Nova Vulpecula 2007 revisited Repost

Old September 9th 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Nova Vulpecula 2007 revisited Repost

I got two email from folks who saw Stefan's comments on this post but
didn't get the post. I was going to refer them to Replayer but that
didn't pick it up either. See it is missing all of Joel Warren's
planetary images. It seems to be slipping.

So here's a repost in hopes this reaches their server.

Some nova fade slowly, some rapidly. This appears to be a slow nova.
Some stay blue as they fade but those that throw out hydrogen turn red
as they fade. It appears this is a slow, hydrogen rich nova. I've tried
to match my August 10 shot to the one I grabbed last night just before
the clouds cut me off. Seeing was much better which has had an effect
on the star colors and size. Not to mention that I used 2 minute subs
for this shot and only 1 minute ones for the August shot. So they
aren't as comparable as I'd like. I discovered my error just as the
clouds rolled in so couldn't retake it to match. The far better seeing
also made a difference. Still the change from blue to red is quite
evident. It has faded from Mag 9.4 to 10.1. Only a 0.6 drop in nearly
a month. The Mira variable SS Vulpecula to the upper right faded as
well from 9.4 (same as the nova) to 9.7.

I'va also attached the DSS plates showing the star in its pre nova days
in first red then blue light.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version