Version of the Atlas II with no sustainer?

Old October 28th 04, 05:31 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Do any such films exist of the S-IV interstage blowouts?

I thought the S-IV was generally a pretty good distance away before it
went up to full thrust- it was in that separation film from the Saturn 1B.

Pat

Old October 28th 04, 05:47 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Yup. Been some nice footage of the interstage turning into sheet
scrap when the 2nd stage fired off. Almost as interesting as the Atlas
half-stage falling off and catching fire.

I've never seen that one.
Here's a good one...go to this page:
http://www.geocities.com/atlas_missile/videos.htm
Download the video of the Atlas launch explosion, and see if you can
figure what goes flying up in the air at the 47 second mark of the
video...it almost looks like somebody's hat

Pat

Old October 28th 04, 09:39 PM
Derek Lyons

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:
...Yup. Been some nice footage of the interstage turning into sheet
scrap when the 2nd stage fired off. Almost as interesting as the Atlas
half-stage falling off and catching fire.

I suspect it's not actual fire, but incandescent outgassing in the
heat of the exhaust.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.