An Acronym?

Old April 24th 09, 03:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Al[_5_]

Default An Acronym?

Is there an acronym for 'Terraforming?
I mean a technical sounding one?
No silly stuff.
Old April 24th 09, 04:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Al" wrote in message
Is there an acronym for 'Terraforming?
I mean a technical sounding one?
No silly stuff.

Never heard of one and doesn't make much sense for a single word. Acronyms
are typically made up of the first letter of multiple words, not a single
one.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old April 24th 09, 04:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Al wrote:
Is there an acronym for 'Terraforming?
I mean a technical sounding one?
No silly stuff.

That's a good one.
I can't actually remember ever hearing or reading one.
"TF"?
Used in a conversation or newsgroup posting discussing the concept, I'm
sure that would be understood.

Pat
Old April 24th 09, 05:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Never heard of one and doesn't make much sense for a single word.
Acronyms are typically made up of the first letter of multiple words,
not a single one.

Yeah, but "terraforming" itself is sort of a contraction; when I first
read the term decades ago it was "To Terra-form", then it quickly
mutated into "Terra-forming" and finally into "to terraform" or
"terraforming".
Who originally came up with the term "Terra-form" in regards to
modifying a planet to make it more acceptable to human life?
I still think it would be fun to shoot some sulfur-eating anaerobic
bacteria into the upper atmosphere of Venus just to see what would happen.
I think we can be pretty sure there's no life on Venus...and if there
_is_ life that can live in those horrible conditions, we don't want any
possibility of it ever getting anywhere near Earth - particularly Italy:
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/ymir/ymir8.jpg
If those things ever get on the loose, you can kiss a decent bottle of
Chianti to have with your pasta goodbye.
So Venusian life, to put it politely, may have to end up "sleeping with
the fishes": http://www.badmovies.org/movies/ymir/ymir1.jpg
....so that great Italian cuisine can survive.
This isn't about any hate of Venusian life on my part.
This is about the human "family's" business.

Pat
Old April 24th 09, 11:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Al" wrote in message
Is there an acronym for 'Terraforming?
I mean a technical sounding one?