ASTRO: Thor's Helmet

Old February 15th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Thor's Helmet

Seeing was awful but transparency was good after the storm past that so
hit the eastern half of the country yesterday. We got nothing from it
but clouds extreme cold (-32C) and bad seeing. I reduced it a third due
to file size and bad seeing that really distorted the stars even after
some deconvolution. The deconvolution seems to have wiped out most star
color. Good transparency this low isn't common. I decided to take it
even with the bad seeing just to get the transparency. Interesting mix
of pink and blues in the nebula itself even if the stars are mostly
white. Since I'm in Minnesota maybe I should call it Viking's Helmet
but they played so poorly the last couple years they don't deserve it.

14" LX200R@f/10, L=10x5', RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	THORS_HELMETL10X5RGB3x5_67%.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	443
Old February 15th 07, 08:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Seeing was awful but transparency was good after the storm past that so
hit the eastern half of the country yesterday. We got nothing from it
but clouds extreme cold (-32C) and bad seeing. I reduced it a third due
to file size and bad seeing that really distorted the stars even after
some deconvolution. The deconvolution seems to have wiped out most star
color. Good transparency this low isn't common. I decided to take it
even with the bad seeing just to get the transparency. Interesting mix
of pink and blues in the nebula itself even if the stars are mostly
white. Since I'm in Minnesota maybe I should call it Viking's Helmet
but they played so poorly the last couple years they don't deserve it.

14" LX200R@f/10, L=10x5', RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount
ME

Rick

Like always in awe with this kiind of photographs .... bad seeing or not, I
love it!!!

Menno

Old February 16th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Andy G

Awesome! as always

Mr Andrew R Green B.Sc(Hons) FRAS. Director & Resident Astronomer,
www.stardome-planetarium.com
www.stardomeplanetarium.co.uk

Old February 17th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Menno and Andy,
Thanks for the comments
Rick

Andy G wrote:
Awesome! as always

Mr Andrew R Green B.Sc(Hons) FRAS. Director & Resident Astronomer,
www.stardome-planetarium.com http://www.stardome-planetarium.com
www.stardomeplanetarium.co.uk http://www.stardomeplanetarium.co.uk

"TheCroW" wrote
in message ...

14" LX200R@f/10 mailto:LX200R@f/10, L=10x5', RGB=3x5' all binned

Old February 18th 07, 10:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful picture Rick. I never got around to imaging this object because it
is so low...

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Menno and Andy,
Thanks for the comments
Rick

Old February 18th 07, 03:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It was below my -15 cut off but transparency was so good that night and
it isn't far below the cut off so gave it a try figuring now or never.
Seeing down there is never very good however. Normally that low over
the lake at winter I am imaging through ice crystals that really fog the
image. For some reason I can't figure out my flats don't work with such
shots. Donuts that flat out perfectly otherwise over do it and come out
bright. The vignetting also doesn't flat out right. Must be something
to do with the distance of the reflecting crystals being out of focus or
something. I even tried taking flat through the crystals in early
evening, didn't help. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyway no
crystals that night, high winds blew them away I suppose.

Rick