WRC-15

Old November 2nd 15, 09:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default WRC-15

There will never be a greater mockery of human endeavor worse than what began today -

" Universal time (UT) is the general designation of time scales based on the rotation of the Earth." ITU

http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/Documents/ITU-R-FAQ-UTC.pdf

The 24 hour system and the divisions of hours,minutes,seconds or any smaller division is Not founded on the rotation of the Earth - it is an extension of the calendar framework which formats the close proximity of 1461 rotations for four orbital circuits into a framework of three cycles of 365 rotations and one cycle of 366 rotations.

The normal progression of 24 hour days from Monday into Tuesday, Tuesday into Wednesday and so on keep in tandem with rotations yet this was challenged for so long by a contrived 'solar vs sidereal' fiction which inserted a belief that one more rotation accumulates than 24 hour days across an orbital period.

Not content to do this to astronomy for well over two centuries they now want to create a new fiction this month based on a non cyclical assertion of 'slowing rotation' .
Old November 2nd 15, 11:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 2:59:38 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

The 24 hour system and the divisions of hours,minutes,seconds or any smaller
division is Not founded on the rotation of the Earth

That's overstating it. The Earth's rotation takes 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4
seconds, but it is also responsible for the fact that we have the 24-hour solar
day.

it is an extension of the calendar framework which formats the close
proximity of 1461 rotations for four orbital circuits into a framework of
three cycles of 365 rotations and one cycle of 366 rotations.

And the length of the year, although it does cause the four-minute difference
between the Earth's rotation and the day - if the year were longer, the
difference would be smaller - doesn't really impinge on the length of the day.
Whatever the day is, we would make our clocks correspond to it, no matter how
many of them were in a year.

John Savard
Old November 3rd 15, 08:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:06:50 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:
Whatever the day is, we would make our clocks correspond to it, no

matter how
many of them were in a year.

Even if we lived on Mercury? On Mercury one day is two years.

We can also imagine living on a planet with bound rotation so that it
always turned the same side towards its central star. On such a
planet one day would have infinite length.
Old November 3rd 15, 10:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

It is quite an amazing experience to have my own research thrown back at me in the most careless way by people who never visited this forum.

To explain the seasons requires splitting the Earth's two day/night cycles into separate causes and focus on the surface rotation that causes the polar day/night cycle.In other words, aside from daily rotation, the entire Earth will turn once to the Sun across an orbital circuit with the North and South poles acting like a tiny window into that surface rotation as a function of the orbital motion f the planet.

The Earth varies in orbital speed as it moves through space hence the intrinsic surface rotation causing the polar day/night cycle varies with it. This emerges as variations in the natural noon cycles where it combines with daily rotation for the variation is global and doesn't rely on hemispherical differences. The Equation of Time correction which is born of this dynamical cause is the same for Sydney,Australia as it is for New York, London or anywhere else on the planet.

The North and South poles are always 23 1/2° above and below the fully illuminated face of the Earth as seen from the orbital plane and the North and South poles will be seen to turn in a circle and parallel to the orbital plane during the course of an annual cycle.

Again, quite an experience to see others in the academic community now try to promote what first emerged on this forum without knowing anything about the original innovation much less the person who first demonstrated it.

Old November 4th 15, 07:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

The observational fact is that the Earth's surface rotation both slows down and speeds up as it moves through space and around the Sun in response to the variable orbital speed of the planet,of course, I am referring to the surface rotation as a function of the orbital motion and not daily rotation.

The idea of 366 1/4 rotations per orbital circuit was once based on the notion that the Earth completes a rotation 3 minutes 56 seconds shy of 24 hours and this difference accumulates across an orbital circuit to give one more rotation than days . In recent years as more and more outsiders accept that aside from daily rotation the Earth has a single rotation once a year in not keeping the same orbital face to the Sun, they now use this surface rotation to still argue for one more rotations than 24 hour days.

So, if outsiders are concerned about a slowing Earth such as those presently attending the conference in Geneva, remind them that the Earth's rotation does speed up and slow down within each orbital circuit with huge differences observed with each noon cycle as the orbital component of the surface rotation responds to the Earth's orbital motion through space.

I have no problem with the chameleon-like adoption of the single rotation responsible for the polar day/night cycle in isolation and the seasons where it mixes with daily rotation, for me it was the challenge of extracting that rotation as it is visibly swamped by daily rotation apart from the North/South poles. That was such a wonderful Saturday afternoon when the insight broke open for a split second,an eternity in creative terms as it eases the heavy load that weighs upon a mind when something just doesn't sit right.