Venus at noon

Old October 16th 15, 07:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Venus at noon

The dawn spectacle of Venus and Jupiter should draw even the unknowing observer to look out as the glare of common Sun for these planets and ours swamped observations of all the other stars at dawn.

http://www.edaugusts.com/wordpress/w...10-09-2015.jpg

Putting the Earth's position and motion between those two planets is a joyous endeavor but is never really practiced since the heliocentric principles emerged 500 years ago. Nowadays there are so many visual supports to help the observer move beyond mere identification bounded from horizon to horizon and move their perspectives into the expanse of space which connects our motion and those of the other planets to our massive parent star.

People who are astronomers would draw attention to the busy celestial arena in their neighborhood while those who are not astronomers only draw attention to themselves.
Old October 17th 15, 10:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

When Galileo first commented on sunspots in an agenda he demonstrated a method to observe the phenomena in a fairly safe way via his pupil -

" I shall now describe the method of drawing the spots with complete accuracy. This was discovered, as I hinted in my other letter, by a pupil of mine, a monk of Cassino named Benedetto Castelli. ... The method is this: Direct the telescope upon the sun as if you were going to observe that body. Having focused and steadied it, expose a flat white sheet of paper about a foot from the concave lens; upon this will fall a circular image of the sun's disk, with all the spots that are on it arranged and disposed with exactly the same symmetry as in the sun. The more the paper is moved away from the tube, the larger this image will become, and the better the spots will be depicted. Thus they will be seen without damage to the eye, even the smallest of them -- which, when observed through the telescope, can scarcely be perceived, and only with fatigue and injury to the eyes." Galileo

The sentiment at that time that sunspots were satellites of the Sun rather than intrinsic is well known insofar as doctrinal demands were for a perfect Sun however what is less known was the argument that the Sun's rotation ( now confirmed by the motion of sunspots) imparted orbital motion on the planets and ,by turn, the planet's rotation imparted motion on their satellites -

"The Sun and the Earth rotate on their own axes...The purpose of this
motion is to confer motion on the planets located around them;on the
six primary planets in the case of the Sun,and on the moon in the case
of the Earth.On the other hand the moon does not rotate on the axis of
its own body,as its spots prove " Kepler

The flow of astronomy is far more dynamic than merely identifying objects ,even sunspots, so the original few heliocentric astronomers put observations to work and that is why they are still so enjoyable. It is easy to be critical of Galileo in that his complaints about priority and indifference are really part of the contemporary scenery whether 400 years ago or today -

"How many men attacked my Letters on Sunspots, and under
what disguises! The material contained therein ought to have
opened to the minds eye much room for admirable speculation;
instead it met with scorn and derision. Many people disbelieved
it or failed to appreciate it. Others, not wanting to
agree with my ideas, advanced ridiculous and impossible opinions
against me; and some, overwhelmed and convinced by
my arguments, attempted to rob me of that glory which was
mine, pretending not to have seen my writings and trying to
represent themselves as the original discoverers of these impressive
marvels" Galileo

http://web.stanford.edu/~jsabol/cert...eo-Assayer.pdf

In the 21st century, the promotion of innovative perspectives may be roughly the same but there is less a chance of being isolated from groups with different and less productive agendas. Nothing is achieved by trying to make oneself feel better than trying to make others feel worse, all that really can be done is to keep topics front and center and hope some spark of recognition occurs.