Aurora Cruise

Old July 30th 04, 04:49 AM
Wobser

Default Aurora Cruise

A friend of mine is retiring and he mentioned that he's contemplating going
to Fairbanks, Alaska to see the Aurora Borealis, but he'd be doing it alone
since his wife would not accompany him to such a cold and remote place. I
told him I thought I saw an Alaska cruise with an aurora theme in Sky &
Telescope and he said that he might get his wife to join his aurora quest if
it were from the deck of a cruise liner. I came home and looked through
several recent S&T issues, but I could not find an add for such a cruise.
Was I mistaken? Do any of you know of an Alaska cruise specifically geared
for aurora sighting?

Thanks,

Mike

Old July 30th 04, 06:02 AM
VicXnews

"Wobser" wrote in
:

A friend of mine is retiring and he mentioned that he's contemplating
going to Fairbanks, Alaska to see the Aurora Borealis, but he'd be
doing it alone since his wife would not accompany him to such a cold
and remote place. I told him I thought I saw an Alaska cruise with an
aurora theme in Sky & Telescope and he said that he might get his wife
to join his aurora quest if it were from the deck of a cruise liner.
I came home and looked through several recent S&T issues, but I could
not find an add for such a cruise. Was I mistaken? Do any of you know
of an Alaska cruise specifically geared for aurora sighting?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.tq-international.com/Icel...celandHome.htm

Until recently, the wonders of Iceland went largely unnoticed. Today,
this small North Atlantic island is blossoming into a destination noted
for its wealth of natural wonders — explosive geysers, gurgling mud
pools, snakelike lava flows, majestic waterfalls, towering glaciers, and
steaming thermal baths. TravelQuest International and Sky & Telescope
invite you to join a very special exploration of this exotic land of the
Vikings, September 16–23, 2004, as we discover nature’s magnificence by
day and marvel at the elusive aurora borealis, or northern lights, by
night.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...icle_901_1.asp

--
If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that
matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen
Old July 30th 04, 08:02 PM
Mike Bennett

At the risk of sounding a bit commercial, the non-profit Astronomical
Society of the Pacific is also putting together an aurora-viewing trip
to Iceland in February of '05. Check it out at
http://www.astrosociety.org
Mike Bennett
Executive Director
ASP