Spectacular Aurora Observation

Old November 5th 03, 10:37 AM
Photoking

Default Spectacular Aurora Observation

Last week I was in Vermont and observed the most unimaginable Aurora. I had
never seen an Aurora Borealis. And pictures always showed it to be dancing
curtains of red, white or green lights. On Thursday at about 7 pm I stepped
outside near Grafton Vermont, to what was supposed to be a dark sky. I
noticed a spectacular cloud-like object straight overhead. It was large,
burnt orange-pink and red. It was directly overhead, and had rays of light
shooting in a northeasterly and northwesterly directions.

The glow looked eerie against the background of brightly shining stars. I
could clearly see the Pegasus square above what appeared to be the center of
this bright glow. There were no dancing lights as I had imagined an Aurora
would look. It looked more like an explosion overhead with the streaking
lights pointing toward the northeastern and northwestern horizons.

Slowly the object drifted to the West. Throughout the next couple of hours,
I saw remnants of this aurora lower on the Northern horizon.

I think this may have been the mother of all auroras. Interested in whether
others observed this phenomena.

Andre

Old November 5th 03, 01:53 PM
Tom Rankin

YES!

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://jump.to/mhaa

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.
Old November 5th 03, 04:02 PM
JBortle

I think this may have been the mother of all auroras. Interested in whether
others observed this phenomena.

Yes, it was a very nice aurora but certainly it paled before the one I saw back
in, I believe, 1989 which filled the entire sky from my latitude (+41*) for two
nights running and was seen south almost to the Earth's equator.

JB
Old November 6th 03, 02:42 AM
Tom Rankin

The Guiness Book of World Records does in fact state that an Aurora
Borealis was viewed from 2 degrees SOUTH Latitude.