CEV to be made commercially available

Old October 16th 05, 05:26 AM
Scott Lowther

Default CEV to be made commercially available

Breaking news...

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-b...ic.php?t=31504

--
"The only thing that galls me about someone burning the American flag is how unoriginal it is. I mean if you're going to pull the Freedom-of-speech card, don't be a hack, come up with something interesting. Fashion Old Glory into a wisecracking puppet and blister the system with a scathing ventriloquism act, or better yet, drape the flag over your head and desecrate it with a large caliber bullet hole." Dennis Miller
Old October 16th 05, 01:07 PM
John Savard

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:26:11 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote, in part:

Breaking news...

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-b...ic.php?t=31504

LOL!

Now, if only your subject line were literally true... and there were
private companies that had a rational reason to have personnel flown to
the Moon, or even to experience springtime on Mars...

I suppose we shall have to content ourselves with what the song suggests
that might mean in other words...

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 16th 05, 10:09 PM
jonathan

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message
news
Breaking news...

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-b...ic.php?t=31504

Ever see this spectacular kit of the space station?
I've been tempted to order one.

http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/issphoto01.htm

Old October 17th 05, 12:46 AM
Invid Fan

In article , jonathan
wrote:

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message
news
Breaking news...

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-b...ic.php?t=31504

Ever see this spectacular kit of the space station?
I've been tempted to order one.

http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/issphoto01.htm

I picked one up when the first station segments were sent up. It's a
bitch to put together, with unlabled parts and somewhat unclear
directions. Or my model skills had just failed me

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
Old October 17th 05, 01:03 AM
Pat Flannery

jonathan wrote:

"

Ever see this spectacular kit of the space station?
I've been tempted to order one.

http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/issphoto01.htm

I've got one.
It comes in a fairly small (and very heavy) box.
I had no idea just how big the ISS was until I built that model- it
dwarfs my Mir, Skylab, and Salyut models in the same scale.
The model is made out of a tough plastic that doesn't seem to be
styrene, which means that if you are going to glue stuff together,
superglue is a better choice than model cement.
It's prepainted and decaled, but some of the parts are not the color
they are on the actual station (the docking nodes are silver, not white
as the kit has them). It's easy to damage the decals during assembly.
Most of it is designed to be snapped together, and theoretically you
can assemble it in any configuration that the ISS goes through during
its assembly process, and then change it to reflect the current
configuration as ISS assembly continues.
If you get one, follow the directions _very_ carefully, and don't start
sticking things together to see how they fit- they fit very well- so
well, that some will never come apart again once stuck together!
Also make sure you use the correct rectangular pins in the correct
places- they are not all the same size.
A more reasonable priced alternative is the Revell Of Germany ISS kit:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/real/jc_iss.htm
http://www.ehobbies.com/mo-rvl-04841.html
It's in the same scale, and the truss assemblies are cut-away, unlike
the Intermountain Railway one (painting the cutouts black on the IMR
main truss is a royal pain in the rear).
If you do get the IMR one, you can get extra detailing parts for it
he http://www.realspacemodels.com/html/isspg.htm
....I imagine that these could also be used on the Revell one.
About the only real problem with assembling the IMR one is where to put
the parts you've finished as you move along- the thing's shape is so odd
and complex that it's hard to find places to put the subassemblies.
I made my own stand to save money.

Pat
Old October 17th 05, 01:23 AM
Pat Flannery

Invid Fan wrote:

I picked one up when the first station segments were sent up. It's a
bitch to put together, with unlabled parts and somewhat unclear
directions. Or my model skills had just failed me

I'd been building models for around 35 years before I built mine, and it
kept me very busy, let me tell you.
The detail on that main mechanical arm is really something, isn't it?
http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/images/iss46.jpg
http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/images/iss45.jpg
(it's all articulated...and fragile)
On the upside, it looks downright spectacular when finished.
This particular upgrade from Realspace Models would add a very nice
touch, but might be fragile:
http://www.realspacemodels.com/html/iss_photoetch.html
Wasn't that some of the oddest plastic you ever ran into? It's very high
quality and tough, but it's not normal model kit plastic.
I think it's what they make model trains out of. The whole kit gives the
feeling of something designed for NASA publicity purposes. When I talked
to the company over the phone, they mentioned grade schools assembling
these as class projects to improve teamwork skills on the part of
students (by the time this truly extraordinary woman was done talking,
it sounded like the model would single-handedly eliminate poverty and
crime in inner cities. "Buy This Kit....Save The World!")
I get a sneaking suspicion that these kits were being sent to inner city
schools free of charge as part of a NASA/aerospace industry publicity
ploy. Let's hope the kids weren't driven to despair by the kit's complexity.

Pat
Old October 17th 05, 03:17 AM
Scott Lowther

jonathan wrote:

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message
news

Breaking news...

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-b...ic.php?t=31504

Ever see this spectacular kit of the space station?
I've been tempted to order one.

http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/issphoto01.htm

It's nice, but the accuracy fo the space station model is in some
serious doubt. There's no toroidal artificial-g section. And without
that, it's not a space station. It's just an overgrown space capsule
with a really ineffective re-entry protection system.

Old October 17th 05, 03:56 AM
Invid Fan

In article , Pat Flannery
wrote:

Invid Fan wrote:

I picked one up when the first station segments were sent up. It's a
bitch to put together, with unlabled parts and somewhat unclear
directions. Or my model skills had just failed me

I'd been building models for around 35 years before I built mine, and it
kept me very busy, let me tell you.

I found I had glued something in the wrong place, with no way to
recover. The partly completed mess is still in a box in the closet

On the upside, it looks downright spectacular when finished.

Oh, yes. Anyone want to sell a finished one cheaply?

This particular upgrade from Realspace Models would add a very nice
touch, but might be fragile:
http://www.realspacemodels.com/html/iss_photoetch.html
Wasn't that some of the oddest plastic you ever ran into? It's very high
quality and tough, but it's not normal model kit plastic.
I think it's what they make model trains out of.

Well, when the model company has "Railway" as part of it's name on the
box...

The whole kit gives the
feeling of something designed for NASA publicity purposes.

It definitly was something not meant for the general public. Almost
like they had the molds, and decided to see if they could make some
extra cash by tossing the pieces in a box and overcharging for them.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
Old October 17th 05, 05:36 AM
Pat Flannery

Invid Fan wrote:

I'd been building models for around 35 years before I built mine, and it
kept me very busy, let me tell you.

I found I had glued something in the wrong place, with no way to
recover. The partly completed mess is still in a box in the closet

Do what I did: Saw it apart and put it in the right place. I ended up
doing that after I stuck the wrong end on one of the cylindrical modules
while fiddling around to see how things fit together. That was the only
model I ever used a rubber mallet to assemble parts of- some of those
rectangular pegs were a very tight fit, and got hammered into the holes
in the modules!
I thought the plastic might crack, but that stuff is really tough.

On the upside, it looks downright spectacular when finished.

Oh, yes. Anyone want to sell a finished one cheaply?

The model has so many fragile things sticking off of it that it would be
almost impossible to pack in a way that would let it survive even if
partially disassembled.

This particular upgrade from Realspace Models would add a very nice
touch, but might be fragile:
http://www.realspacemodels.com/html/iss_photoetch.html
Wasn't that some of the oddest plastic you ever ran into? It's very high
quality and tough, but it's not normal model kit plastic.
I think it's what they make model trains out of.

Well, when the model company has "Railway" as part of it's name on the
box...

Yeah, that's just what I thought- this was a very odd choice of a
product for them, and there's a story of some sort behind this that I
don't know.

The whole kit gives the
feeling of something designed for NASA publicity purposes.

It definitly was something not meant for the general public. Almost
like they had the molds, and decided to see if they could make some
extra cash by tossing the pieces in a box and overcharging for them.

Revell of Germany model company made a model of the offshore North
Cormorant Oil Platform and a Krupp bucket-wheel excavator:
http://www.internethobbies.com/inter...e1offshoi.html
http://www.toys-n-cars.com/images/images2/bwe1.jpg
.....and I always suspected that there was some connection between the
companies that made those things and those two models- that they were
used as publicity items in some way, as these wouldn't be obvious
choices for big-selling models.
And then there's this:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_n9462724
For those who want to build a model of a Finnish nuclear reactor with
3,175 parts.
And since it is a card model, you get to cut all those 3,175 parts out.
So after buying around 100 X-Acto #11 knife blades... :-)

Pat
Old October 17th 05, 06:07 AM
Matthew Ota

Don't jump the gun on this CEV model. That is what Revell did back in
the 1960s with their 1/72 scale CSM molds, which were forever locked
into the incorrect Apollo Block 1 configuration.

Matthew Ota