Kliper meets Star Trek

Old February 27th 04, 09:03 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Kliper meets Star Trek

This is funny enough to post separately (it was part of a thread on
..history)
New Russian "Kliper" spacecraft cutaway: http://kp.ru/upimg/logo_17242.jpg
Bow capsule of Zefram Cochrane's "Phoenix" cutaway:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...ix-cockpit.jpg
I'm now worried...do we buy some of these from the Russians for use as
escape vehicles on the ISS and Shuttle?
If we do, I'm going to start digging a fallout shelter...

Pat

Old February 27th 04, 07:51 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:03:43 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

This is funny enough to post separately (it was part of a thread on
.history)
New Russian "Kliper" spacecraft cutaway: http://kp.ru/upimg/logo_17242.jpg
Bow capsule of Zefram Cochrane's "Phoenix" cutaway:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...ix-cockpit.jpg
I'm now worried...do we buy some of these from the Russians for use as
escape vehicles on the ISS and Shuttle?
If we do, I'm going to start digging a fallout shelter...

Pat

Well they had to cope *something* ;-)
Old February 27th 04, 08:59 PM
Dr. O

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
This is funny enough to post separately (it was part of a thread on
.history)
New Russian "Kliper" spacecraft cutaway: http://kp.ru/upimg/logo_17242.jpg
Bow capsule of Zefram Cochrane's "Phoenix" cutaway:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...ix-cockpit.jpg
I'm now worried...do we buy some of these from the Russians for use as
escape vehicles on the ISS and Shuttle?

Hell no. The Klipper can *replace* the Shuttle.

Old February 28th 04, 03:01 PM
Richard Schumacher

Pat Flannery wrote:

New Russian "Kliper" spacecraft cutaway: http://kp.ru/upimg/logo_17242.jpg

Note how nicely this would fit atop a SpaceX FalconV:

http://www.spacex.com/falcon_overview.php

Old February 29th 04, 02:25 AM
Richard Schumacher

I wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

New Russian "Kliper" spacecraft cutaway: http://kp.ru/upimg/logo_17242.jpg

Note how nicely this would fit atop a SpaceX FalconV:

http://www.spacex.com/falcon_overview.php

Agghh, sorry: it may fit, but it's about 12 tonnes too massive for the Falcon V
to lift.

Old February 29th 04, 10:43 AM
Remy Villeneuve

Richard Schumacher wrote in message ...
I wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

New Russian "Kliper" spacecraft cutaway: http://kp.ru/upimg/logo_17242.jpg

Note how nicely this would fit atop a SpaceX FalconV:

http://www.spacex.com/falcon_overview.php

Agghh, sorry: it may fit, but it's about 12 tonnes too massive for the Falcon V
to lift.

"For contracts completed in 2004, Falcon I is offered for $6 million
and Falcon V for $12 million plus modest range fees that vary by
launch location"

Wow... That's cheap... I mean, to get 4.2 metric tons to LEO for 12
millions...

It's about the mass range of Gemini if I remember correctly, right?