SpaceX CRS-5 Scrub Till Jan 9th

Old January 6th 15, 12:31 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

Default SpaceX CRS-5 Scrub Till Jan 9th

Issue with 2nd stage according to last Livestream report.
Countdown hold called at T -1:21.

Next launch attempt will be this Friday. Will reply back when I have a time.

Dave
Old January 6th 15, 03:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Some kind of actuator issue. is this the flight where they want to test
recovery of a stage?
Brian

Email:

Old January 6th 15, 05:19 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:35:24 AM UTC-5, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some kind of actuator issue. is this the flight where they want to test
recovery of a stage?
Brian

Yes, but the actuator issue was on the second stage not the first stage, which is the one they will try to recover.

With the new launch time being bumped up by 1 hour, it will make the launch and recovery effort take place in pre-dawn darkness. Not sure how easy it will be to observe the landing attempt should it be video streamed.

Dave
Old January 6th 15, 06:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:57:58 AM UTC-5, JF Mezei wrote:
On 15-01-06 11:19, David Spain wrote:

Yes, but the actuator issue was on the second stage not the first stage,
which is the one they will try to recover.
With the new launch time being bumped up by 1 hour, it will make the launch and recovery effort take place in pre-dawn darkness. Not sure how easy it
will be to observe the landing attempt should it be video streamed.

Note that this flight, Dragon is returning cargo and is to land and be
recovered in the Pacific.

Just to be be clear I was referring to the attempt to recover the first stage on the SpaceX autonomous drone ship out in the Atlantic off the coast of Jacksonville Fla. Not the Dragon capsule.

Dave
Old January 7th 15, 04:02 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"David Spain" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:57:58 AM UTC-5, JF Mezei wrote:
On 15-01-06 11:19, David Spain wrote:

Yes, but the actuator issue was on the second stage not the first stage,
which is the one they will try to recover.
With the new launch time being bumped up by 1 hour, it will make the
launch and recovery effort take place in pre-dawn darkness. Not sure
how easy it
will be to observe the landing attempt should it be video streamed.

Note that this flight, Dragon is returning cargo and is to land and be
recovered in the Pacific.

Just to be be clear I was referring to the attempt to recover the first
stage on the SpaceX autonomous drone ship out in the Atlantic off the coast
of Jacksonville Fla. Not the Dragon capsule.

I was wondering about lighting conditions. How far east is the recovery?

Dave

Old January 7th 15, 07:43 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:02:33 PM UTC-5, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
I was wondering about lighting conditions. How far east is the recovery?

Quite a bit, but not enough. The original landing site was given as this:

/quote
According to data from maritime tracking websites, the Marmac 300's [SpaceX ASDS platform] tug [ELSBETHIII] and its control ship [Global Quest] were nearing the landing zone early Monday.

Information released in notices to pilots, mariners and in a federal regulatory filing show the ships will be positioned near 30.8 degrees north latitude and 78.1 degrees east longitude.
/end-quote

from this cite:

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/01/05...ocket-landing/

Both ships seem to be back in JAX now, but not sure about the ASDS. It would be weird I think to burn ASDS fuel station keeping for this long and it takes a day to sail out to the landing site. It would seem likely that if both ships are back in port, so is the ASDS. I predict that if they are back in JAX they will set sail again tonight or early tomorrow.

The landing zone for the next attempt might be different, depending on launch inclination etc. for the next try. But if it's close to the old site, that would put it approximately 200 km east of the launch site, 250 km due east of Jacksonville by my rough approximation on my computer screen.

Sunrise prediction for 1/9 in Jacksonville Fla is 7:24 AM, so beginning of twilight at 1 hour earlier put us at 6:24 AM and launch is scheduled for 5:09AM. This isn't far enough east to make a difference. It will be landing in the dark if the landing site remains unchanged.

Dave

Old January 7th 15, 07:49 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:43:33 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:02:33 PM UTC-5, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
I was wondering about lighting conditions. How far east is the recovery?

Quite a bit, but not enough. The original landing site was given as this:

Information released in notices to pilots, mariners and in a federal regulatory filing show the ships will be positioned near 30.8 degrees north latitude and 78.1 degrees east [west] longitude.

This is obviously wrong in the original article. It is 78.1 degrees west.

Dave
Old January 7th 15, 07:53 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:49:02 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:43:33 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:02:33 PM UTC-5, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
I was wondering about lighting conditions. How far east is the recovery?

Quite a bit, but not enough. The original landing site was given as this:

Information released in notices to pilots, mariners and in a federal regulatory filing show the ships will be positioned near 30.8 degrees north latitude and 78.1 degrees east [west] longitude.

This is obviously wrong in the original article. It is 78.1 degrees west.

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words:

http://spaceflightnow.com/wp-content...ecoverymap.png

Old January 7th 15, 08:57 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:43:33 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
/quote
According to data from maritime tracking websites, the Marmac 300's [SpaceX ASDS platform] tug [ELSBETHIII] and its control ship [Global Quest] were nearing the landing zone early Monday.

[Global Quest] = [Go Quest] *sigh*

Dave
Old January 8th 15, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"JF Mezei" wrote in message
eb.com...

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

Does the stage one have any flashing light as it falls back to earth and
floats ? I assume that once close enough, recovery ships would have
large floodlights to illuminate the "worksite". But flashing lights
might be all that is needed for the ships to get close enough.

Close enough to what?

You do realize the stage is intended to LAND on the barge, not float in the
ocean.

CRS-3 Scrub David Spain Space Station 21 April 21st 14 01:47 PM
SpaceX and NASA Host Teleconference Today on SpaceX 2 Mission to Space Station Jeff Findley[_2_] Policy 5 March 4th 13 10:40 PM
Scrub! Gareth Slee Space Shuttle 8 September 8th 06 09:36 PM
SCRUB again!!! Erik Gunnes Space Shuttle 1 September 8th 06 04:33 PM
SCRUB! Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 10 September 8th 06 01:51 AM