ASTRO: Poor attempt at Minkowski's Butterfly -- M2-9

Old March 20th 13, 06:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Poor attempt at Minkowski's Butterfly -- M2-9

Minkowski's Butterfly, M2-9, is an interesting bipolar planetary nebula
whose form is the result of two tubular jets created by interaction with
its companion star. Most central stars are blue and that is likely the
case here but the companion is a much brighter reddish star and that's
what dominates. This one is too low in my skies for good seeing at my
latitude. At least with the seeing I had most of 2012. So other images
posted on the net are far better as they were taken from more southern
latitudes and also areas known for better seeing on average. See:
http://picasaweb.google.com/11008167...06934343055826
and http://www.pbase.com/jshuder/image/146351218/original for narrow
band images without the seeing bloated LRGB stars in mine.

For more info see the HST image at:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/opo9738a/

The jet is precessing as shown in the Wikipedia image at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M2...vo_corradi.gif

Only one galaxy with redshift data is in the image. It is a small round
galaxy partly hiding behind a star near the southern edge of my image
near the centerline. It is a bit over a half billion light-years
distant by redshift light travel time measurement. Southeast of the
planetary is the flat disk galaxy 2MFGC 13673. These galaxies from the
2 micron survey don't have to be as flat as those from the optical Flat
Galaxy Catalog. There are a few other 2 micron survey galaxies in the
field but none even have a magnitude estimate let alone a distance one
so I didn't prepare an annotated image.

Conditions were so poor in June I tried many different nights and still
only captured one usable blue frame so my color is suspect as even that
night was poor compared to some of the other nights I got red and green
data. I took over 30 frames to get the 9 barely usable ones.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RG=2x10' B=1x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M2-9L4X10RG2X10B1X10.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	4536  Click image for larger version

Name:	M2-9L4X10RG2X10B1X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	4537