BE-4 test firing

Old October 21st 17, 01:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default BE-4 test firing

Blue Origin just sent a jolt through the aerospace industry
"As Joe Biden would say, this is a BFD for the space industry."

ERIC BERGER - 10/19/2017, 3:31 PM

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-successfully-
tested-its-powerful-be-4-rocket-engine/

tiny url for above link:
https://tinyurl.com/y73ufpp6

This is yet another game changer in the US launch industry. LOX/methane
oxygen rich staged combustion engine.

This engine is a good compromise between LOX/kerosene and LOX/LH2. Plus
LOX/methane has the added bonus that you can make it on Mars from the
CO2 in the atmosphere (if you bring your own hydrogen with you).

Jeff
Old October 24th 17, 12:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Water on Mars

http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/onlin...esources27.pdf

With a solar or nuclear power source, you don't have to bring the hydrogen either. When my friend Bob Zubrin first wrote his Mars Direct plans in 1990 for bringing hydrogen to Mars he didn't know for certain water would be available. Today we know water is abundant!

https://www.wired.com/2013/04/mars-direct-1990/

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/1...-plan-and.html

What is very interesting is the possibility of water on Diemos, because the delta-vee to get to it, if its there, is far smaller than the change of speed needed to get to the surface of Mars.

http://www.spacefuture.com/archive/t..._company.shtml

Aldrin's cycler is also very interesting;

http://buzzaldrin.com/files/pdf/2002...ajectories.pdf

http://buzzaldrin.com/files/pdf/2005...RepeatTime.pdf

Bigelow's inflatable habitat can be adapted to a number of roles; cycler, mission module, space station, landed base.

Expandable Module Technologies. Direct download PDF (24 pages)

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...HPtlpS3SU_p9FA

The BE-4

http://www.ulalaunch.com/uploads/doc...eb_Final_2.pdf

https://www.blueorigin.com/be4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BE-4

ULA's New Vulcan Rocket: Direct download PDF.

https://phys.org/pdf354351319.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_(rocket)

New Glenn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glenn

* * *

Nine BE-4 thrust chambers, and pump-sets, placed into an aerospike engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Y0FS8Z1Qk

Oxidizer Density: 1.140 g/cc. Oxidizer Freezing Point: -219 deg C. Oxidizer Boiling Point: -183 deg C.
Fuel Density: 0.424 g/cc. Fuel Freezing Point: -184 deg C. Fuel Boiling Point: -162 deg C

BE-4:
Thrust: 2,450.00 kN (549,630 lbf).
Unfuelled mass: 3,950 kg (8,690 lb).
Specific impulse: 363 (3,559.8 m/sec).

9xBE-4
thrust 22,050 kN (4,946,670 lbf)
Unfuelled mass: 35,550 kg (78,210 lb).
Specific impulse 363 (3,559.8 m/sec).

Thrust/Weight: 1.28 gee at take off.

Flight Element: 1,756.62 metric tons (3,864,586 lb)
Structure Budget: 79.04 metric tons (173,900 lb)
Liquid Natural Gas: 335.52 metric tons (738,137 lb)
Liquid Oxygen: 1343.10 metric tons (2,952,549 lb)

Length: 44.5 m (145.8 ft)
Diameter: 8.0 m (26.2 ft)

* * * *

A seven element system 806 metric ton, 1,773,200 lb payload.

1,756.62 Total MT
1,677.58 Propellant MT
79.04 Structure MT
3.5598 km/sec Ve

806.00 MT Payload

* * * *

Take off, draining four of the seven propellant tanks.

13,102.34 TOW MT
6,710.32 S1 MT Propellant
0.5121 u1 fraction
2.5550 V1 km/sec

Those four jettisoned tanks are empty, and then we drain two of the remaining three tanks.

6,075.86 S2 W MT
3,355.16 S2 MT Propellant
0.5522 u2 fraction
2.8601 V2 km/sec
5.4151 Total V2 km/sec

We jettison the two empties, and burn the final central tank;

2,562.62 S3 W MT
1,677.58 S3 MT Propellant
0.6546 u3 fraction
3.7846 V3 km/sec
9.1997 Total V3 km/sec

Payloads:

Solar Power Satellites: (boosted from LEO using ion rocket engines)

17.64 GW Solar Power Satellites 5 km diameter thin film concentrator (at Earth).
7.60 GW Solar Power Satellites 5 km diameter thin film concentrator (at Mars).
33.77 GW Solar Power Satellites 5 km diameter thin film concentrator (at Venus).
117.86 GW Solar Power Satellites 5 km diameter thin film concentrator (at Mercury).

1,000 power satellites launched over a 3 year period, transforms life on Earth. 1 power satellite dedicated to interplanetary transfer, L3 and 4 satellites surrounding the moon - L1, L2, L4, L5 - serving primarly the moon, and lunar travel.

Laser Powered Ion Rockets: 54 km/sec Ve. Each power satellite beams energy to an ion engine, that propels an 806 MT stage.

17.64 GW -- 12.1 kg/sec -- 653,400 Newtons, 66,628 kgf, 146,582 lbf (0.81 m/s2) Earth
7.60 GW -- 5.2 kg/sec -- 281,576 Newtons, 28,712 kgf, 63,168 lbf.. (0.35 m/s2) Mars
33.77 GW -- 23.1 kg/sec -- 1,250,740 Newtons, 127,540 kgf, 280,580 lbf (1.55 m/s2) Venus
117.86 GW -- 80.8 kg/sec -- 4,365,185 Newtons, 445,125 kgf, 979,275 lbf (5.42 m/s2) Mercury

Cycler Satellites

A 6 person BE-330 weighs 20 MT. 600 MT with a 206 MT ion stage - that's 30 units - a total of 180 people. Twelve satellites in orbit around Earth provide a transfer every 2.3 days.

Transfer satellites to Mars, Venus, Mercury.