Is Space a Void?

Old August 6th 03, 05:16 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Is Space a Void?

I have seen many references to space being/not being a void. What are the
current theories?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old August 6th 03, 05:30 PM
Mason Verger

On [GMT+0100=CET],
BenignVanilla thought hard and spewed:

I have seen many references to space being/not being a void. What are
the current theories?

Dark matter/energy.

Old August 7th 03, 12:21 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
:

I have seen many references to space being/not being a void. What are
the current theories?

Well, it is a fact that space is filthy with radiation, magnetic fields,
neutrinos and various other junk (some travelling at extremely high
speeds). It is also a theory that there is a certain amount of so called
"dark matter" and "dark energy" out there.

L.

Old August 7th 03, 12:25 AM
wb8pid

If by 'Void' you mean devoid of matter, even one Hydrogen atom per cubic
centimeter means that space is not void. Hydrogen has been found to be
ubiquitous in the visible universe; therefore, in this sense, space is not
void.

Another approach is that particle/antiparticle pair spontaneous
creation/annihilation is occurring everywhere; therefore, space is filled
with these 'virtual particles.'

Neal

Old August 7th 03, 07:18 PM
wb8pid

Space is a vacuum because it contains less gas than a reference point, such
as the surface of the earth. But it is not a perfect vacuum: it still
contains atoms, albeit few. I would fill in the blank with ". . .at least
one atom per cubic centimeter." This would in the overwhelming majority of
cases be atomic hydrogen (not molecular, H2).

Does this help?

"wb8pid" wrote in message
If by 'Void' you mean devoid of matter, even one Hydrogen atom per cubic
centimeter means that space is not void. Hydrogen has been found to be
ubiquitous in the visible universe; therefore, in this sense, space is

not
void.

Another approach is that particle/antiparticle pair spontaneous
creation/annihilation is occurring everywhere; therefore, space is

filled
with these 'virtual particles.'

snip

I guess I am confused by void and vacuum. Space is a vacuum in that there

is
no air, but it is not empty as it contains __________?

BV.

Old August 7th 03, 07:43 PM
BenignVanilla

"wb8pid" wrote in message
Space is a vacuum because it contains less gas than a reference point,

such
as the surface of the earth. But it is not a perfect vacuum: it still
contains atoms, albeit few. I would fill in the blank with ". . .at least
one atom per cubic centimeter." This would in the overwhelming majority

of
cases be atomic hydrogen (not molecular, H2).

snip

Yes, very much. I wonder then, if the toroid theory is correct. There are
areas of the universe that are more dense, and some that are more not-dense?

BV.

Old August 7th 03, 08:37 PM
Brandon Siegel

Old August 8th 03, 04:10 AM
wb8pid

I don't think that that is what you're asking, but the answer is 'yes',
galaxies and components thereof are denser, and intergalactic space is less
dense. This seems to hold even out to the Great Wall galactic cluster. Of
course, this begs the question of how the primordial plasma of the Big Bang
developed anomalies within that led to the development of galaxies. . .

Old August 8th 03, 02:52 PM
Ian W

In article ,
says...

I guess I am confused by void and vacuum. Space is a vacuum in that there is
no air, but it is not empty as it contains __________?

BV.

Hi BV,
Void literally means 'nothing' that is completely unoccupied. For a long
time space was thought to be devoid of any particle material, this
however as we all know just isn't the case.

Vacuum may be defined as the complete emptyness of a given volume. It is
impossible to obtain a complete vacuum, however it is possible to obtain
a level of vacuum, defined as a pressure above absolute zero pressure.

Now for the fun stuff vbg

As other posters have pointed out, typical interstellar vacuum comprises
about 1 atom/molecule per cubic centimeter of volume. This might sound
like a lot, but it's not. Given that most cosmologists give the
interstellar regions a 50/50 mixture of atomic hydrogen (H2) and
molecular hydrogen molecules (H2) and neglecting for ease the other 1% of
interstellar material that isn't hydrogen based we can do a few simple
equations to show you just how hard the space vacuum really is.

At a 50/50 ratio of H to H2 hydrogen 1 mole of hydrogen material occupies
a volume of 397,320,000 cubic kilometers, or a cube with sides of
735.16km in length. (456.82 mile sides).

If however we made it pure atomic hydrogen the volume would be
602.000,000 cubic kilometers or a cube with 844.37km sides.

Hope this helps to explain how void the interstellar vacuum really is.

Ian
Old August 8th 03, 03:29 PM
Greg Neill

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Ian W" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Void literally means 'nothing' that is completely unoccupied. For a long
time space was thought to be devoid of any particle material, this
however as we all know just isn't the case.

Vacuum may be defined as the complete emptyness of a given volume. It is
impossible to obtain a complete vacuum, however it is possible to obtain
a level of vacuum, defined as a pressure above absolute zero pressure.

snip

So if we could create a complete vacuum. What would happen if we fired a
single photon through it?

Look up the Casimir Effect for some relevant info.
If we could create a perfect vacuum, devoid even of
quantum vacuum fluctuations, then your photon would
likely traverse the space at slightly greater than c
due to altered permittivity and permeability.