Light Pollution

Old August 9th 03, 12:59 PM
Philip

Default Light Pollution

Can anyone please give me some information, on turnung street lights off.
How do the streets lights without photocells turn on and off? Thanks for you
help.

Old August 9th 03, 02:08 PM
Dale

Philip wrote:

Can anyone please give me some information, on turnung street lights off.

12-gauge!

Old August 9th 03, 02:22 PM
Mick

"Philip" wrote in message
Can anyone please give me some information, on turnung street lights off.
How do the streets lights without photocells turn on and off? Thanks for

you
help.

Glock with a silencer and a car with your best buddy at 3 AM...

Old August 9th 03, 02:48 PM
Cathy

With a baseball.

Old August 9th 03, 06:07 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:59:53 +1000, "Philip" ...reflected:

Can anyone please give me some information, on turnung street lights off.
How do the streets lights without photocells turn on and off? Thanks for you
help.

Buy a "BB" rifle.

Alan

Old August 9th 03, 07:16 PM
L.C.

Just academically, you understand, this could be
accomplished with a mechanical device that actuates
a can of spray paint at the end of a long pole. :-)

-An anonymous guy using Larry Curcio's account

Old August 9th 03, 08:39 PM
William Hamblen

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:21:34 GMT, Alex Kilpatrick
wrote:

I remember a long time ago that street lights would shut off sometimes
when a car drove by and the headlights hit it just right. However, I
don't see that anymore. They may have timer/calendar chips on them so
they are not sensitive to light coming in. In that case, you are out of
luck.

Lights have a photocell and a relay to turn them on at dusk and off at
dawn. There's a capacitor in the circuit to add a little delay so a
brief flash of light won't turn them off. The ones that turn off from
the headlights of a passing car probably are defective. If you can
shine long enough a light bright enough the streetlight goes out. I
think this really is a bad idea. Instead go to a dark location or
watch the moon and planets, which are bright enough for streetlights
not to be a bother.

Old August 10th 03, 01:14 AM
Geoff

wrote:

Instead go to a dark location or
watch the moon and planets, which are bright enough for streetlights
not to be a bother.

What kind of locations do you look for when seeking a dark sky site?
I tried once throwing my scope in the car and driving out to the
country. I found farmers fenced off properties everywhere and not a
single open publicly accessable area to be found

I have also considered the BB gun option, but my neighbours know I
have a telescope and they would know who to look for
Old August 10th 03, 02:27 AM
William Hamblen

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:14:02 +1000, Geoff wrote:

What kind of locations do you look for when seeking a dark sky site?
I tried once throwing my scope in the car and driving out to the
country.

You need friends or relations in the country. The real problem is
that the lights follow you. Everything is fine and then suddenly
there is a subdivision all around you.

Your friendly local astronomy club probably has sites already arranged
for. Go join up. Now. Uncle Al wants you!