12-10-2006 Conjunction

Old December 10th 06, 01:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Edward Erbeck

Default 12-10-2006 Conjunction

Here's what I got out my front window.
Jupiter in the lower bright "star", Mercury is above and Mars is to
the right of them.
Camera - Nikon D50, Shutter Speed 1 Second, ISO 400 and FL 210mm

Crazy Ed

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-10-2006 Dawn.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	218
Old December 10th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Edward Erbeck" wrote in message
Here's what I got out my front window.
Jupiter in the lower bright "star", Mercury is above and Mars is to
the right of them.
Camera - Nikon D50, Shutter Speed 1 Second, ISO 400 and FL 210mm

Crazy Ed

So what is the dim point of light just above Mercury? I assume it is a
star.

George

Old December 10th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Edward Erbeck" wrote
Here's what I got out my front window.
Jupiter in the lower bright "star", Mercury is above and Mars is to
the right of them.
Camera - Nikon D50, Shutter Speed 1 Second, ISO 400 and FL 210mm

Ed,

Cool image and cool sight! The star to the upper left of Mercury is Beta
Scorpii. It was easy to see in my 7x50's.

I was standing outside my house in the snow and cold with my wife's electric
deer (thankfully turned off) wondering where the planets were when they
started popping up over the trees of the ridge I have to the east of my
house. TheSky sez that they were only about 3 degrees in altitude and I had
a hard time seeing Mars at first. After a quick look with 7x50 binocs I got
it and then could see it naked-eye. The show was over in about than 20
minutes when some long stringy clouds moved in. I got no images since I had
no film. At lease I have your picture and some great memories.

Clear skies,

George N

Old December 10th 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"George" wrote in

So what is the dim point of light just above Mercury? I assume it is a
star.

George it's Beta Scorpii - a double star. I saw it in my 7x50's, but not
naked-eye.

George N

Old December 11th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message
"George" wrote in

So what is the dim point of light just above Mercury? I assume it is a
star.

George it's Beta Scorpii - a double star. I saw it in my 7x50's, but not
naked-eye.

George N

Thanks, George. I didn't get a chance to view the conjunction, so I didn't
bother checking the star field.

George

Old December 11th 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Edward Erbeck

George Normandin wrote:

Cool image and cool sight! The star to the upper left of Mercury is Beta
Scorpii. It was easy to see in my 7x50's.

I was standing outside my house in the snow and cold with my wife's electric
deer (thankfully turned off) wondering where the planets were when they
started popping up over the trees of the ridge I have to the east of my
house. TheSky sez that they were only about 3 degrees in altitude and I had
a hard time seeing Mars at first. After a quick look with 7x50 binocs I got
it and then could see it naked-eye. The show was over in about than 20
minutes when some long stringy clouds moved in. I got no images since I had
no film. At lease I have your picture and some great memories.

Clear skies,

Glad you enjoyed the image. I didn't quite rough it like you did as I
took it through my front window.
But if you were here you could have seen Live Deer sharing the morning
sky with you. They come in to eat Bird Seed and drink water.

Crazy Ed

Old December 11th 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Florian[_3_]

I was standing outside my house in the snow and cold with my wife's electric
deer (thankfully turned off)

Ok, what's an electic deer?

Nice picture Edward!

..Florian

Old December 11th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Edward Erbeck

Florian wrote:

Nice picture Edward!

Thanks Florian.

Crazy Ed

Old December 11th 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Florian" wrote
I was standing outside my house in the snow and cold with my wife's
electric
deer (thankfully turned off)

Ok, what's an electic deer?

It's part of my wife's annual celebration of deer and pine trees that some
people call "Christmas"! It's a metal gizmo with lights and motors that
lights up at moves - a part of Christmas decorations.

George N

PS: I was going to put blinking lights on my Obsession 20 and leave it out
for Christmas, but then I thought better of it!

Old December 11th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Edward Erbeck" wrote

Glad you enjoyed the image. I didn't quite rough it like you did as I
took it through my front window.
But if you were here you could have seen Live Deer sharing the morning
sky with you. They come in to eat Bird Seed and drink water.

Ed,

My live deer are all in the backyard. Since it's "bear sleepy time" I don't
have to worry about those guys this time of year.

George N