Space Solar Power Gets A Boost

Old October 13th 07, 03:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Space Solar Power Gets A Boost

The U.S. military is backing a major venture to build solar-power
generating satellites. See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-9e243b6f8237

Old October 13th 07, 04:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

wrote:
The U.S. military is backing a major venture to build solar-power
generating satellites. See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-9e243b6f8237

My guess is that the military are interested in beaming the power down
to people who are not expecting it.

Sylvia.
Old October 13th 07, 07:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...

My guess is that the military are interested in beaming the power down
to people who are not expecting it.

Sylvia.

Well, I was at White Sands a few months ago, and I spoke with folks
there. There is about 2 milion acres of military lands, and there are
another 8 million or so call-up areas. I proposed ringing the
military bases with solar panels in order to stop encroachment. Also
spoke briefly about the potential of building a 12 million acre array
between the US and Mexico along the 2,500 mile border.

This much acreage would provide America the ability to export synfuels
made from sunlight to the rest of the world, as well as ending our
reliance on middle east oil. this would do a lot of good things for
America and the world.

It would also require building a large fleet of reusable launch
vehicles which have other uses, and also have weapons applications I
suppose.

Another thing is that it creates a space based capability, similar to
GPS in its scope - that allows you to beam power to aircraft, seacraft
land craft and spacecraft from orbit - and forward bases - resolving a
major supply chain issue. Replacing all those fuel shipments with
food and bullets. Making folks more effective.

Of course a global broadband would permit remotely controlled robot
soldiers - controlled by soldiers back at home base - which would put
our enemies in harms way and our men and women out of harms way. -
powered from space - and end the need for food. (though oil and spare
parts might be called for)

Regenerating laser energy could also be used for advanced rayguns
instead of traditional guns would end the need for bullet supply
chain. - which combined with missile deployment capabilities would
allow instant reponse anywhere in the world - in response to space
basedsensing and so forth.

That is space power has important industrial and commercial
applications that help secure the US for the long term, as well as
immediate tactical benefits for the military, and long-term strategic
benefits as well.

Old October 13th 07, 01:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

Sylvia Else wrote:

My guess is that the military are interested in beaming the power down
to people who are not expecting it.

Whether they are or not, the public perception that they might be
makes this expression of interest a wash if not a net negative for the
over-all prospects of space solar power.

SPsats already face a long uphill battle in terms of sheer cost
accounting vs. other big-ticket energy investments...

And another against the conviction in some quarters that small, green,
local, appropriate etc. is inherently preferable to *any* high-tech,
big-infrastructure energy solution (which is seen, no matter how
clean, as "more of what got us into this mess")...

So why make things even harder by enhancing the "OMG, death rays from
orbit!" factor? You're going to have to prove in any case that your
SPsat design physically *cannot* zap ground targets, and some won't
believe you anyway. The more military involvement in the project's
genesis, the harder that becomes.
Old October 13th 07, 03:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Oct 12, 8:57 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
wrote:
The U.S. military is backing a major venture to build solar-power
generating satellites. See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...

My guess is that the military are interested in beaming the power down
to people who are not expecting it.

Sylvia.

They'll first try zapping our Willie.Moo/William Mook, then used for
keeping all other missions from getting too close to our hocus-pocus
moon, or especially from taking up any station-keeping at the moon's
L1. Trust me, it's another Zion/Yiddish plot of global domination.

Such nifty SBLs are just the kind of StarWars tactic that'll work.
- Brad Guth -

Old October 13th 07, 03:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

wrote:
[...]

It looking much like I'm the one and only Willie.Moo supporter you've
got. My LSE-CM/ISS tether dipole element can brovide your battery of
SBLs with not only the unlimited cache of clean energy but also the
tether termination platform from which to operate near to Earth, and
there's so much more where that came from.

Still think those pesky Zion Yids in charge of your private parts and
otherwise global fossil and yellowcake energy don't have it in for
anything Willie.Moo?
- Brad Guth -

Old October 13th 07, 03:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
Jonathan

wrote in message
ups.com...
The U.S. military is backing a major venture to build solar-power
generating satellites. See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-9e243b6f8237

"Ten Billion over ten years"
"Practical in the next couple of decades"!
"No technology showstoppers"!

Brings a tear to my eye~

With c02 levels around 300 ppm, rising at over
2% per year, and 345ppm considered the tipping
point, NASA needs to step up to the plate.

Instead of a guilded safari to the moon.
NASA needs to prepare to completely
redesign its purpose for existing.

NASA needs to do more than simply watch
the world while it melts-down. It needs to
be the agency dedicated to do nothing less than
..... Saving the World.

When a single project has the potential to unite
the war-machine and tree-huggers alike...
that's telling us something important.

Universal appeal means universal benefits.
Optimizing one means optimizing the other.

When that happens it can't fail to 'take on a life of its own'
and produce the capability for humanity to at last
control our own destiny.

Al Gore for President...someday!

Jonathan

Old October 13th 07, 04:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Monte Davis" wrote in message
Sylvia Else wrote:

[...]

China shouldn't have launched that asat.

I think laser transmission is the future and
doubt you could prevent the dual use of SSP
anymore than with, say, aircraft or satellite
communication.

Our military complex certainly has taken on
a life of its own long ago. So there's no stopping
the military from taking the next logical step
in its drive to militarize space.

First SSP as a convenient energy source
for the troops, to someday another step
into a weapon.

It's up to NASA to piggyback and develop this
for civilian use.

The train is starting to move out of the station.
NASA needs to jump on board.

Old October 13th 07, 04:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
Jo Schaper[_2_]

Jonathan wrote:

Al Gore for President...someday!

Jonathan

I'd rather have Emily for President.
Old October 13th 07, 06:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Monte Davis wrote:

:Sylvia Else wrote:
:
:My guess is that the military are interested in beaming the power down
:to people who are not expecting it.
:
:Whether they are or not, the public perception that they might be
:makes this expression of interest a wash if not a net negative for the
ver-all prospects of space solar power.
:

You folks are acting like fuming loonies. If the military wanted an
'orbital death ray', that's what they'd be talking about.

As it is, it's all jawboning and not exactly news. DoD doesn't have
the $10 billion investment and neither does anyone else.

--
You have never lived until you have almost died.
Life has a special meaning that the protected