Oh my God....new Battlestar Gallactica Season a commentary on Iraq!

Old October 8th 06, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Doubledown

Default Oh my God....new Battlestar Gallactica Season a commentary on Iraq!

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Pat Flannery wrote in news:12ii3v61a1007a1
@corp.supernews.com:

William Elliot wrote:

US baiting Korea, just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor. US leave, N.Korea
invades S.Korea and US nukes the hell out of NK from off shore in full
fulfillment of US promise to protect SK.

China protests U.S. action by stopping exports to U.S. and terminates
buying of U.S. government bonds to finance U.S. national debt; U.S.
economy collapses, dollar is worthless, world switches to Euro as new
currency of choice.
Not a good scenario.

China depends much more on exports to the US than the US depends on
imports
from China. China will suffer much more than the US under that scenario.

That's not to say that China wouldn't do it. But it would be a mutual
suicide pact, not unilateral retaliation, and the Chinese government
understands that quite well.

Is there a case where a Korean conflict is economically beneficial to the
U.S.? I would imagine the U.S. military has war-gamed many scenarios where
NK has attacked SK. The North Koreans probably have done the same.

Old October 8th 06, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Jorge R. Frank

"Doubledown" wrote in
ink.net:

Is there a case where a Korean conflict is economically beneficial to
the U.S.? I would imagine the U.S. military has war-gamed many
scenarios where NK has attacked SK. The North Koreans probably have
done the same.

I would imagine the only such scenarios would be the ones where NK
aggression is so blatant that China chooses to sit out the war rather than
retaliating against the US, either economically or militarily.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old October 8th 06, 11:42 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Henry Spencer

In article m,
William Elliot wrote:
...just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor.

Uh, where else would it have been put? Pearl Harbor was its *base*. And
it wasn't "stood down", indeed it was on alert -- albeit a fairly low
level of alert -- as a result of having been warned by Washington about
ten days earlier that war was considered imminent. Despite it being a
Sunday morning in home port, essentially all the fleet's antiaircraft guns
were manned and firing within about 7 minutes of the start of the attack.
(The *Army* AA guns, which nominally had the main responsibility for
harbor defence, were another story...)

A careful analysis, unblinkered by conspiracy theories, puts the blame for
the mess firmly on the local commanders, who failed to coordinate a proper
local defence and largely disregarded repeated warnings from Washington.

US leave, N.Korea
invades S.Korea and US nukes the hell out of NK from off shore in full
fulfillment of US promise to protect SK.

Uh, precisely how does this protect SK? The invading army is still there,
indeed it now has all kinds of incentive to succeed, since its retreat is
cut off. Moreover, nuking NK will kill a lot of civilians but will do
much less damage to the NK military, which in the last half-century has
gone in *very* heavily for putting crucial facilities underground. To say
nothing of side effects from fallout -- in SK, Japan, and China -- and the
political backlash (e.g., loss of all US basing rights in Japan -- nuclear
weapons are anathema there).

Really, really dumb idea.
Old October 9th 06, 03:49 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
William Elliot

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Pat Flannery wrote:
William Elliot wrote:

US baiting Korea, just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor. US leave, N.Korea
invades S.Korea and US nukes the hell out of NK from off shore in full
fulfillment of US promise to protect SK.

China protests U.S. action by stopping exports to U.S. and terminates
buying of U.S. government bonds to finance U.S. national debt; U.S.
economy collapses, dollar is worthless, world switches to Euro as new
currency of choice.

Not a good scenario.

On the contrary, most excelled, no US, everybody's happy. Immigrate to
Canada, Mexico, Venezulea, Cuba, France, now before it's too late.
Old October 9th 06, 05:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Joseph Hertzlinger

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 22:21:32 -0400, jonathan wrote:

With Coalition Occupation Authority, insurgents, suicide
bombers, the whole works.

And we're the fraken cylons.

Strange... I thought we were the Borg.

It's over, time to begin planning our withdrawal from Iraq.

US out of Hollywood.

--
http://hertzlinger.blogspot.com
Old October 9th 06, 05:54 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Joseph Hertzlinger

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 09:49:09 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

William Elliot wrote:

US baiting Korea, just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor. US leave, N.Korea
invades S.Korea and US nukes the hell out of NK from off shore in full
fulfillment of US promise to protect SK.

China protests U.S. action by stopping exports to U.S. and terminates
buying of U.S. government bonds to finance U.S. national debt; U.S.
economy collapses, dollar is worthless,

.... and we undersell everybody.

--
http://hertzlinger.blogspot.com
Old October 9th 06, 10:22 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
William Elliot

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Joseph Hertzlinger wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:
William Elliot wrote:

US baiting Korea, just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor. US leave, N.Korea
invades S.Korea and US nukes the hell out of NK from off shore in full
fulfillment of US promise to protect SK.

China protests U.S. action by stopping exports to U.S. and terminates
buying of U.S. government bonds to finance U.S. national debt; U.S.
economy collapses, dollar is worthless,

... and we undersell everybody.

But all US will have left to sell to foreigners is thousands of soon to be
foreclosed houses, some less attractive not yet sold US companies, the
service industry including the military and of course, US citizens.
Old October 9th 06, 10:56 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Jordan[_1_]

jonathan wrote:
With Coalition Occupation Authority, insurgents, suicide
bombers, the whole works.

And we're the fraken cylons.

It's over, time to begin planning our withdrawal from Iraq.

Yes, obviously if a science fiction series disapproves of our war
effort, we're doomed.

- Jordan

Old October 9th 06, 10:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Jordan[_1_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
William Elliot wrote:

US baiting Korea, just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor. US leave, N.Korea
invades S.Korea and US nukes the hell out of NK from off shore in full
fulfillment of US promise to protect SK.

China protests U.S. action by stopping exports to U.S. and terminates
buying of U.S. government bonds to finance U.S. national debt; U.S.
economy collapses, dollar is worthless, world switches to Euro as new
currency of choice.
Not a good scenario.

Especially not for China, which has just choked off the majority of
_her own_ trade. Rather a self-sacrificing thing for the Chinese to do
to merely "protest" an American action. Furthermore, I don't think
that China's boycotting US government bonds would be enough to collapse
the whole American economy, though I do see why it would be _bad_ for
our economy.

- Jordan

Old October 9th 06, 11:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Alex Terrell

Henry Spencer wrote:
In article m,
William Elliot wrote:
...just like US baited Japan putting our stand downed
battle fleet within tempting distance at Pearl Harbor.

Uh, where else would it have been put? Pearl Harbor was its *base*. And
it wasn't "stood down", indeed it was on alert -- albeit a fairly low
level of alert -- as a result of having been warned by Washington about
ten days earlier that war was considered imminent. Despite it being a
Sunday morning in home port, essentially all the fleet's antiaircraft guns
were manned and firing within about 7 minutes of the start of the attack.
(The *Army* AA guns, which nominally had the main responsibility for
harbor defence, were another story...)

A careful analysis, unblinkered by conspiracy theories, puts the blame for
the mess firmly on the local commanders, who failed to coordinate a proper
local defence and largely disregarded repeated warnings from Washington.

Is it true, as portrayed in one of the older films, that the British
had supplied a radar installation, but the operators thought that the
dots they were seeing were a mistake, and didn't pass on the warning.

Makes you wonder what would have happenned all the US planes had gotten
airborne. Especially if they all flew like Ben Affleck.