Slow Death for Real Science

Old March 10th 06, 04:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Slow Death for Real Science

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1691_1.asp
At least science done by the US.
As much as I like my country, I'm glad there's a "Rest of the World"
right now. Really depressing.

Shawn
Old March 10th 06, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Shawn wrote:
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1691_1.asp
At least science done by the US.
As much as I like my country, I'm glad there's a "Rest of the World"
right now. Really depressing.

Shawn

On the other hand, we can embrace the idea that we are one global
community sharing a planet and its resources... including progress
in scientific understanding... and amateur observing.

Old March 10th 06, 05:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Shawn wrote:
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1691_1.asp
At least science done by the US.
As much as I like my country, I'm glad there's a "Rest of the World"
right now. Really depressing.

Shawn

I get a lot of my news from foreign sources. The domestic stuff is to
focused on titilation, sensationalization of the mundane, selective
omission of facts which might upset large advertising accounts and
bowing to the powers that be rather than risk losing access to official
bullsh!t briefings.

Old March 10th 06, 05:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Shawn" sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet a écrit dans le message de
. ..
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1691_1.asp
At least science done by the US.
As much as I like my country, I'm glad there's a "Rest of the World"
right now. Really depressing.

Shawn

Dear newsgroup

I don't see Nasa as a Science institution.
Naca was an intitution aiming at improving the knowledge in one specific
field.
For me Nasa is more like Hollywood or Disney in space, helping the White
House internal and abroad propaganda since the 60'.
Nasa used to discover and rediscover every fall, probably to prepare the
next budget discussion :-)
- Water on the moon
- Life in Mars
- Origin of life on Earth coming from Mars, and many other astonishing
marvels!

Nasa also had two great shuttle catastrophes involving bad seals and launch
in winter time (Challenger).
Nasa was aware that bad material was used to insulate the Shuttle, Nasa
knows that debris of large size was in orbit around Columbia.
Apollo 1...
Nasa mixed imperial units with SI units for Mars Observer...
Hubble had a spherical mirror...
And many other micro facts...

This is NASA and it never changed since the beginning.

Don't worry there still good universities and institutes (at least some of
them) in US, most of the documents that I read come from US :-)

JP

Old March 10th 06, 06:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

JP LR wrote:
[...]

Based on my experiences working with university professors, iIf
universities had built the shuttle, it would have cost $875 billion per
copy, would not have exploded, but would not have stood upright on the
pad either.

They many be great at writing, but can't actually produce for their
lives.

Austin

Old March 10th 06, 06:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 10 Mar 2006 10:10:07 -0800, "AustinMN"
wrote:

Based on my experiences working with university professors, iIf
universities had built the shuttle, it would have cost $875 billion per
copy, would not have exploded, but would not have stood upright on the
pad either.

They many be great at writing, but can't actually produce for their
lives.

Nonsense. The [comparative] capabilities of university professors are
not unlike that you would find in any cross section of society. A high
percentage of the PIs for scientific missions are professors.

You are painting your generalization with far too broad a brush.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 10th 06, 09:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

That's right Sam, let the theorists deal with the weighty stuff while
the observers take pretty pictures.

Astronomy proper still exists under 3 centuries of empirical garbage
but it is such a subtle language and withers in contact with careless
people.

If Nasa wishes to evolve into an organisation beyond its technical
accomplishments,it has to focus on things closer to home rather than
entertaining cartoon notions emerging from theortical minds such as the
verification of H.G. Well's science fiction narrative -

'Scientific people,' proceeded the Time Traveller, after the
pause required for the proper assimilation of this, 'know very well
that Time is only a kind of Space.

http://www.bartleby.com/1000/1.html

Maybe participants would prefer the Nasa/Stanford version -

" QUESTION 42 - What does the word 'spacetime' mean?

It means that in our universe, 3-dimensional space and time form a
single indivisible new physical object which has 4 dimensions. All
physical laws and phenomena seem to require thinking about space and
time as this blended object. That's what Einstein's relativity theories
were all about. "

http://einstein.stanford.edu/

Old March 10th 06, 09:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

To Chris

What can be said for people who think the Earth's annual orbit should
be based on 3 years of 365 days and a seperate orbit containing 366
days -

http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615477...real_Time.html

I do not blame Encarta nor indeed any existing organisation from Nasa
down but goodness me,before they spend another billion on chasing
conceptual rainbows perhaps they should spend a few million getting to
grips with basic astronomy and less attension payed to mathematical
theorists.

The sidereal framework or Newtonian working principles assume that the
return of a star to the same position represents the rotation of the
Earth on its axis in 23 hours 56 min 04 sec.This occurs in the 3 years
of 365 days and the leap year of 366 days indicating that the
calendrically driven clockwork system which is convenient for the
Ra/Dec system is unsuitable for investigating the annual orbital motion
of the Earth and the relationship with axial rotation within that
closed orbit.

Keeping axial and orbital motion seperate for respective purposes is
essential so drop the pretense of the sidereal justification as being
anything other than a 17th century misjudgement based on fixing
terrestial longitude to the return of a star to a meridian using the
calendar system of 365/366 days.

Apolitical is a level which does not even measure up to the level of
being cunning or clever much less productive and unfortunately this is
where you and your colleagues exist.

It is said that no snowflake feels responsible for a destructive
avalanche and indeed no individual here feels responsible for
continuing with a 17th century misjudgement or misconduct but the
effects of consensus are pretty much the destructive equivalent of an
avalanche.

Old March 10th 06, 11:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

AustinMN plants his lips at the anus of NASA and sucks:

Based on my experiences working with university professors, iIf
universities had built the shuttle, it would have cost $875 billion per
copy, would not have exploded, but would not have stood upright on the
pad either.

Such gratitude. A bunch of "university professors" managed to build a
bomb that won you a war. What your ilk did to Oppenheimer ("Thanks a
bunch, now **** off and die") was _the_ reason I avoided working for
the government (and I'm probably not alone in this). But hell, even in
the NASA context, most of the research is directed by "university
professors", or did you forget this?

They many be great at writing, but can't actually produce for their
lives.

Kill all the humanities graduates and their teachers, and hardly anyone
would notice (those who would notice would likely be amoung the dead).

Kill all the math, physics, chemistry, and related engineering
graduates and their teachers, and civilization as we know it would fall
apart within months, perhaps weeks. You think that toilet just flushes
on its own, bozo?

Basically, AustinMN, you are full of ****. Try suckling at the font of
knowledge instead of the posterior of the demented bureaucrats you are
cheerleading. Nitwit.

Old March 11th 06, 02:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Kill all the humanities graduates and their teachers, and hardly anyone
would notice (those who would notice would likely be amoung the dead).

Ahem... As one of them humanities profs, I gotta point out that if you
killed all of our graduates off, nobody would write the next episode of
"Lost" or "CSI." I don't think you'll find many BS's in engineering or
biochem among the producers. So they'd notice. Tonight.

You may have the guns, but we got the numbers. ;7)

Basically, AustinMN, you are full of ****.

And here we're in agreement.

Academically-
Chris