Skeptical view on 'Blackstar'

Old March 13th 06, 03:18 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Default Skeptical view on 'Blackstar'

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Somebody else's opinion (and he has LOTS of those grin),
but lots of good points....

In other words, it's full of his usual "SSTO isn't possible because X-33
shows us it's impossible" drivel. ;-)

His points on unreliable sources and on fuels with boron seem to be on firm
ground though.

Jeff

Old March 13th 06, 10:45 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Another thing to be looking at is any usual sightings of a satellite
whose orbital elements match up with that of the alleged Blackstar
orbiter's potential launch inclinations out of the sites mentioned in
the AvWeek article, and most in particular, any sightings of an unknow
satellite that could not be attributed to any know rocket launch, and
that appeared to launch smaller satellites from it, then "disappeared".

It just seems odd that with all the spooky sat observers out there that
not a one has reported something like this over the last 15 years.

Oh yeah, given that it's pretty hard to hide a vehicle as it reenters
the atmosphere, what with a bright ionization trail and glow, has any
credible observer seen anything like that which could be attributed to
the Blackstar orbiter?
-Mike

Old March 14th 06, 07:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Patty Winter wrote:
Hey, quick question. In his article, Jeffrey Bell says, "In the 1980s
and 1990s AvWeek ran lurid pictures of hypersonic 'Aurora' vehicles."
Does anyone here know what ever happened to that plane? I was living
in San Diego in late 1991 and early 1992 when something was generating
sonic booms over Southern California on many Thursday mornings. The
last report of it on the Federation of American Scientists website
(http://www.fas.org/irp/mystery/aurora.htm) was from 1996.

The "Aurora" became partly declassified in the early 90's and articles
appeared in various science and aviation magazines. As I recall, it
was built to be a bomber but Congress didn't want to fund it.

Hopefully, the technology has been preserved.

tomcat

Old March 14th 06, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Not a new theory, of course; it's championed by Henry Spencer in a thread
over in sci.space.policy.

The fact that someone of Henry Spencer's credibility believes it makes me
more likely to believe it.

The fact that someone of Jeffrey Bell's credibility believes it makes me
less likely to believe it.

What about someone of Dwayne Day's credibility?

http://thespacereview.com/article/576/1

Chris Manteuffel

Old March 14th 06, 08:09 PM posted to sci.space.history

On 14 Mar 2006 11:50:29 -0800, "Chris Manteuffel"
wrote:

What about someone of Dwayne Day's credibility?

....These days, right down there with Bell's. Primarily because he's
become an egotistical prick with delusions of moral superiority.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old March 14th 06, 11:46 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

"Chris Manteuffel" wrote in
oups.com:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Not a new theory, of course; it's championed by Henry Spencer in a
thread over in sci.space.policy.

The fact that someone of Henry Spencer's credibility believes it
makes me more likely to believe it.

The fact that someone of Jeffrey Bell's credibility believes it makes
me less likely to believe it.

What about someone of Dwayne Day's credibility?

http://thespacereview.com/article/576/1

More likely. With Bell agreeing with Spencer and Day, phrases involving
stopped clocks and blind squirrels come to mind.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old March 15th 06, 03:39 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Like in their letters section.

When I worked in aerospace from 1976 to 1991 I had a subscription, and
read it voraciously.

Haven't seen it much lately and I guess they have lowered thier
credibility since the old days.

Matthew Ota

Just and Old test technician

Old March 15th 06, 04:18 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:46:13 -0600, in a place far, far away, "Jorge
R. Frank" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

The fact that someone of Henry Spencer's credibility believes it
makes me more likely to believe it.

The fact that someone of Jeffrey Bell's credibility believes it makes
me less likely to believe it.

What about someone of Dwayne Day's credibility?

http://thespacereview.com/article/576/1

More likely. With Bell agreeing with Spencer and Day, phrases involving
stopped clocks and blind squirrels come to mind.

Great (or whatever) minds think alike:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...06.html#006606
Old March 15th 06, 09:03 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 04:18:49 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

Great (or whatever) minds think alike:

....Nah, you and the other two egotistical turdballs are simply
mimicking Henry.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] OMBlog -
Old March 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Matthew Ota wrote:
Like in their letters section.

When I worked in aerospace from 1976 to 1991 I had a subscription, and
read it voraciously.

Haven't seen it much lately and I guess they have lowered thier
credibility since the old days.

Aviation Week thrived during the Cold War. Its decline
seemed to begin when the Berlin Wall fell.

- Ed Kyle