Energia pictures of Klipper mockup posted to web

Old December 2nd 04, 11:18 PM
Pat Flannery

Allen Thomson wrote:

Also, now that I think of it, if Kliper (turns out to have one "p",
though it's a borrowing of Clipper. Oy.) is intended for accomodating
multi-person crews for up to two weeks of independent flight, a
separate compartment for day-to-day functions might be a good idea.

That is where you eat on a Soyuz.
That is also where you crap on a Soyuz.
Go figure.
Which led to an interesting problem on the Soyuz TM-5 flight:
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/mir_close_calls.html

Details of the life-support system will be interesting to learn.

On Soyuz the main air scrubbers are also located in the orbital module;
you can check it out on this page:
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz.html

BTW, a question on FPSpace returned a reply indicating that the
"electrochemical generator" in the nose is a fuel cell.

Another strange translation- my cutaway illustrations of Mir in "The
Space Station Handbook" refer to the stabilizing gyrodynes on Kvant 2 as
"Power stabilizers of liquid fuel by hydrogenation".
Shades of the dread "Ion plotters of the direction of the ship's
velocity vector" on Voskhod.

Pat

Old December 3rd 04, 01:15 AM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:
I was primarily referring to the antennae end of things when I was
talking about commonality with Soyuz; obviously new software will be
needed for this use on the Klipper.

One would have to look closely at the configuration. My gut feeling
is, no. The Kliper seems to have a pretty 'clean' moldline.

I wonder about the side hatch on the orbital module; does that get
removed, or is it lined up with a hatch on the exterior of the Klipper
so that EVA's can be done from it without opening the main hatch in its
side? Assuming that it really will have that rectangular entry door on
the flight version. It looks odd, and I wonder if it's just to allow
easy access to the mockup.

Why would you need to perform an EVA from a taxi?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old December 3rd 04, 02:02 AM
Neil Gerace

(Derek Lyons) wrote:

Why would you need to perform an EVA from a taxi?

If it's a bad neighbourhood and the driver won't stop where you want him to?

Old December 3rd 04, 03:59 AM
OM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:15:43 GMT, (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

Why would you need to perform an EVA from a taxi?

....To either change the tires and/or go around the corner and talk to
the pimp about which hooker you're going to pick up and take home.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 3rd 04, 04:04 AM
Derek Lyons

(Explorer8939) wrote:

Hmmm ... it looks like someone here has no clue how the Kurs-cm
rendezvous system actually works.

Yep. And it's not me.

Here's a clue, the 20 ton FGB used the same Kurs-cm active box that
is used on 7 ton Progress vehicles.

Here's a clue for you; Examine these diagrams:
http://www.shuttlepresskit.com/exped...yuz_launch.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/s/sotmacut.jpg (From:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/soyuztma.htm)

Note the antenna positions. Then examine the diagrams of the Kliper,
and note not only a lack of antenna on the diagram, but a lack of
places to *put* the antennas.

So much for the eyes and brain.

Yah, when you use them, you note the difference between Soyuz and
Kliper. But you have to get your head out of your ass first.

D.