Ion engines and He3

Old December 14th 04, 09:51 AM
Nick Hull

Default Ion engines and He3

I was reading in Popular Mechanics about a harebrained scheme to mine
the He3 from the moon to provide nuclear electricity for the earth. The
rough guesses were that mining 1 sq mile of the moon might yield 200# of
He3 which should provide electricity for Detroit for a year.

Thinking back on the idea, it might be too expensive for earth power but
might be ideal for a spaceship, especially a large manned spaceship.
Unlimited electrical power would make ion drive practical and the lack
of a rrequirement for a heavy radiation shield would be a huge bonus.

How well researched is the He3 reactor idea? Is there enough He3 on
earth to build a working He3 reactor? Is the reactor laser activated?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Old December 14th 04, 03:44 PM
Burnham Treezdown

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:51:53 -0500, Nick Hull wrote:

I was reading in Popular Mechanics about a harebrained scheme to mine
the He3 from the moon to provide nuclear electricity for the earth. The
rough guesses were that mining 1 sq mile of the moon might yield 200# of
He3 which should provide electricity for Detroit for a year.

Why not just build the power plant on the moon & feed the energy to Detroit with
long wires? The wires could also help control the moon's orbit becuase I here
it's drifting away from us?

Sometimes the simpleest ideas are the best.
Old December 14th 04, 10:44 PM
Damon Hill

Burnham Treezdown wrote in
:

wrote:

I was reading in Popular Mechanics about a harebrained scheme to mine
the He3 from the moon to provide nuclear electricity for the earth.
The rough guesses were that mining 1 sq mile of the moon might yield
200# of He3 which should provide electricity for Detroit for a year.

Why not just build the power plant on the moon & feed the energy to
Detroit with long wires? The wires could also help control the moon's
orbit becuase I here it's drifting away from us?

The power losses would be excessive, among other things. Ahem.

Sometimes the simpleest ideas are the best.

That's certainly simple-minded.

--Damon
Old December 15th 04, 02:34 AM
Ian Woollard

Nick Hull wrote:
How well researched is the He3 reactor idea?

After 50 years, you can say it's *well* researched :-)

Is there enough He3 on
earth to build a working He3 reactor?

Yes. To build 'a' reactor. And if it doesn't work you're in trouble :-)

Is the reactor laser activated?

No. Normal tokomak style reactor- you know, the one nobody can get to
work after 50 years of research- only He3 needs it hotter, which makes
it even more difficult...
Old December 15th 04, 06:33 AM
Alan Erskine

"Burnham Treezdown" wrote in message
But with the wires in the freedom of space & with no gravity to resist
currant flow I'd think the losses would be much less. Why not string
solar collectors along the wires too for a power boost?

Current flow has nothing to do with gravity.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old December 15th 04, 11:27 AM
John Doe

Alan Erskine wrote:
Current flow has nothing to do with gravity.

How do you know this ? most wires on earth are perpendicular to earth's gravity.

But if you had a long electrical wire running from moon to earth, perhaps the
electrons would be accelerated by earth's gravity and impact earth at
tremendous speeds :-)

Seiously though, in a theoretical scenario with power production on the moon
with a long wire back to earth, would the wire absolutely have to be 2
conductors, or could they devise a way to send the charged electrons on a one
way trip to earth ?
Old December 15th 04, 05:56 PM
Burnham Treezdown

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:27:22 -0500, John Doe wrote:

Alan Erskine wrote:
Current flow has nothing to do with gravity.

How do you know this ? most wires on earth are perpendicular to earth's gravity.

Yes, I don't think a long enough wire has ever been built on earth know if it
does.

But if you had a long electrical wire running from moon to earth, perhaps the
electrons would be accelerated by earth's gravity and impact earth at
tremendous speeds :-)

Maybe thats the answer to cold fusion?

Seiously though, in a theoretical scenario with power production on the moon
with a long wire back to earth, would the wire absolutely have to be 2
conductors, or could they devise a way to send the charged electrons on a one
way trip to earth ?

What happens when the moon runs out of electrons?

Without electrons there cant be no more atoms, right? So would this destroy the
moon?