a riddle

Old March 3rd 11, 11:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

Default a riddle

A short diversion, which I hope you'll enjoy.

*****

I spy, all too faint, when I look to the East,
A spangled display for the Glorious Fourth;
And a frightening sight is the Eye of the Beast,
Though rendered defunct, when I peer to the North.
I hide in the multitudes, cloaked in the dark,
But found on the sly by the night's neat patrols.
I streak through the heavens--a darting skylark--
Yes! fly to the river, the course of the souls.

*****

I think it would be fair to use Google; in fact, I'd be
much impressed if anyone were to get it without any
on-line aid. If someone does try it, please provide
spoiler space for your answer (or otherwise obscure
it).

--
Brian Tung (posting from Google Groups)
The Astronomy Corner at http://www.astronomycorner.net/
Old March 3rd 11, 11:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_39_]

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
|A short diversion, which I hope you'll enjoy.
|
| *****
|
| I spy, all too faint, when I look to the East,
| A spangled display for the Glorious Fourth;
| And a frightening sight is the Eye of the Beast,
| Though rendered defunct, when I peer to the North.
| I hide in the multitudes, cloaked in the dark,
| But found on the sly by the night's neat patrols.
| I streak through the heavens--a darting skylark--
| Yes! fly to the river, the course of the souls.
|
| *****
|
| I think it would be fair to use Google; in fact, I'd be
| much impressed if anyone were to get it without any
| on-line aid. If someone does try it, please provide
| spoiler space for your answer (or otherwise obscure
| it).

"Glorious Fourth" , "spangled", "streak through the heavens",
"peer to the North"...
A paranoid American patriot expecting Armageddon from an ICBM
over the pole from Russia.
What is your drug of choice? It must be some good ****...

Old March 3rd 11, 11:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

Androcles wrote:
"Glorious Fourth" , "spangled", "streak through the heavens",
"peer to the North"...
A paranoid American patriot expecting Armageddon from an ICBM
over the pole from Russia.
What is your drug of choice? It must be some good ****...

A glass of pinot noir once in a while. And (when I can afford
it), it is sometimes pretty good, yep.

I believe your thinking (on this riddle, at least) is a bit off base.
This is SAA; the riddle is astronomical, not military.

Old March 3rd 11, 11:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

Usenet may have eaten my first attempt at a response.

Androcles wrote:
"Glorious Fourth" , "spangled", "streak through the heavens",
"peer to the North"...
A paranoid American patriot expecting Armageddon from an ICBM
over the pole from Russia.
What is your drug of choice? It must be some good ****...

A glass of pinot noir, once in a while. And (if I can afford it),
it can be pretty good, yep.

I believe your thinking (on this riddle, at least) may be a bit

Old March 4th 11, 12:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_39_]

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
| Androcles wrote:
| "Glorious Fourth" , "spangled", "streak through the heavens",
| "peer to the North"...
| A paranoid American patriot expecting Armageddon from an ICBM
| over the pole from Russia.
| What is your drug of choice? It must be some good ****...
|
| A glass of pinot noir once in a while. And (when I can afford
| it), it is sometimes pretty good, yep.
|
| I believe your thinking (on this riddle, at least) is a bit off base.
| This is SAA; the riddle is astronomical, not military.

Jesus said "Come forth", but it came fifth and he lost all his beer money.

Since the riddle is astronomical, perhaps you're a Martian and you
imagine the fourth planet is glorious; to we British it's a cold desert.
Or was I right about a paranoid parochial American baseball player,
"a bit off base"?
Stay off the pinot when attempting poetry.

Old March 4th 11, 12:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

Androcles wrote:
Since the riddle is astronomical, perhaps you're a Martian and you
imagine the fourth planet is glorious; to we British it's a cold desert.
Or was I right about a paranoid parochial American baseball player,
"a bit off base"?
Stay off the pinot when attempting poetry.

Ahh, so I can be as coherent as you? Thanks for the kind
suggestion, but I decline.

Old March 4th 11, 12:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_39_]

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
| Ahh, so I can be as coherent as you?

As you proved by attempting an incoherent riddle.

| Thanks for the kind
| suggestion, but I decline.

At least I played your silly game for fun.

Old March 4th 11, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

Androcles wrote:
As you proved by attempting an incoherent riddle.

Oh, I thought you'd have a higher opinion of yourself.

The riddle is not incoherent; it has a definite astronomical
object as an answer, clues to which are in the riddle.
Perhaps you'd like to try identifying it, instead of this petty
banter?

Old March 4th 11, 12:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_40_]

"Brian Tung" wrote in message

Yes it is incoherent. Perhaps you could leave it in place instead of
playing this petty snipping game.

Annie, get your gun (Rodgers and Hammerstein)

I'm superior, you're inferior
I'm the big attraction, you're the small
I'm the major one, you're the minor one
I can beat you shootin', that's not all

/ C - Dm - / G7 - C - / - - D7 - / G - Cdim7 G7 /

Anything you can snip, I can snip better
I can snip any thing better than you
No you can't, Yes I can, No you can't, Yes I can
No you can't, Yes I can, yes I can

/ G7 C G7 C / / / Dm7 G7 - - /

Anything you can be I can be greater
Sooner or later, I'm greater than you
No you're not, Yes I am, No you're not Yes I am
No you're not, Yes I am, yes I am

I can shoot a partridge with a single cartridge
I can get a sparrow with a bow and arrow
I can do most anything
Can you bake a pie? No. Neither can I

/ Em - Em6 - / Dm - Dm6 - / D7Am7 D7Am7 D7 - / G7 - Dm7 G7 /

Anything you can snip I can snip louder
I can snip anything louder than you
No you can't....

Anything you can snip, I can snip cheaper
I can snip anything cheaper than you
Fifty cents, Forty cents, Thirty cents, Twenty cents
No you can't, Yes I can, yes I can

Anything you can dig, I can dig deeper
I can dig anything deeper than you
Thirty feet, Forty feet, Fifty feet, Sixty feet
No you can't, Yes I can, yes I can

I can drink my liquor faster than a flicker
I can do it quicker and get even sicker
I can live on bread and cheese
And only on that? Yes, So can a rat

Anything you can reach, I can go higher
I can sing anything higher than you
No you can't....

Anyone you can lick, I can lick faster
I can lick anyone faster than you
With your fist? With my feet, With your feet? With an axe
No you can't, Yes I can, yes I can

Any school where you went, I could be master
I could be master much faster than you
Can you spell, No I can't, Can you add, No I can't
Can you teach, Yes I can, yes I can

I could be a racer, quite a steeple chaser
I can jump a hurdle even with my girdle
I can open any safe
With out being caught? Yes, That's what I thought, you crook

Any note you can hold I can hold longer
I can hold any note longer than you.
No you can't, Yes I ca-a-a-a-an, Yes you ca-a-an