Car Fund Update

Old September 6th 03, 07:53 PM
Starlord

Default Car Fund Update

Just to bring this up to date, as of this next tuesday when I can get the
dial-a-ride to take me to the bank, the car fund will have $200.00 in it. Not
from Donational either, but from the following:

Sale of old caddy for parts.

Sale of storys I've writen.

My share (Royalies payment) of my 2003 Canna Intro Tiki Torch by canna grower
back east.

Fees for copying and placing on one of my web sites the web page for a Dahlia
grower/seller.

last load of soda/beer cans picked up around trailer park.

I have officaly started looking at car ads, but so far anything for $200.00 is
either a pile of rusted junk or it doesn't have a motor/tranny at all.

Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

Dahlia-World
http://dahlia-world.netfirms.com/

Mojave Desert Canna
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna/

http://www.karcheskycanna.com/tikitorch.htm

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Old September 6th 03, 09:20 PM
Mike Simmons

I can help out a little, Dennis. If even a small fraction of those
interested in promoting sidewalk astronomy sent a small donation you'd
be able to get something to haul your scope back and forth.

Are there any amateur astronomers in Lancaster or Palmdale reading this
that might have an old car they could donate or sell cheap?

Mike Simmons

Old September 6th 03, 11:24 PM
Starlord

I've never seen anything from the ones in this area on here, and as I didn't
join the Big Boys with all their fancy CCD gear back in 98 when I first moved
here, as far as I know, none of them have ever stopped by when I was set up.
They must know about the Babylon 8, after all it and me where in a major
newspaper artical last year. So I've relyed on what I coud do myself and when
building my scope, the great many good folks here and on my lists too. Right now
the scope is tied down on the wagon, my brefcase is under it and my
stand/sitting box is in front of it upside down so I can put my water jug and
astronomy magazines I give away in it.

Oh, btw, I have taken advanage of a print company who offers 250 personal cards
for just shipping, and then if you want more it'll cost. But when I get them I
can hand them out to anyone while set up. they'll ID me as a Sidewalk
Astronomer.

--

"Mike Simmons" wrote in message
I can help out a little, Dennis. If even a small fraction of those
interested in promoting sidewalk astronomy sent a small donation you'd
be able to get something to haul your scope back and forth.

Are there any amateur astronomers in Lancaster or Palmdale reading this
that might have an old car they could donate or sell cheap?

Mike Simmons

---

Old September 7th 03, 01:57 AM
Rod Mollise

I've never seen anything from the ones in this area on here, and as I didn't
join the Big Boys with all their fancy CCD gear back in 98 when I first moved

Hi Dennis:

I cannot HELP but think that there must be an astronomy club somewhere in your
area that would be willing to give you aid and comfort...

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old September 7th 03, 08:29 AM
Starlord

Hi all, just got back from my corner about 20 mins ago, whew what a time, will
post about it in am. In this area,(awefull big empty wide area) there's two
clubs I know of, one is up in Ridgecrest, clost to something like 75 miles away,
don't know them at all, just hear about them from time to time. The other is the
AV club which meats down in Palmdale at the new planetium, they are the ones who
I went to two meetings when I first moved out here. The 2nd meeting I took the
Stargazer Steve Dob I had been given, and while it wasn't said out right it was
like 'look at the little dob' and as I don't realy do astro photos, I just
didn't have a commond ground with them. So threw the good and the bad, it's been
the folks on S.A.A. and my e-mail lists that have helped out at times with
advice, hardware, etc.

Old September 7th 03, 08:34 AM
Starlord

Palmdale = 28 miles & in L.A. County

Lancaster = 15 miles & in L.A. County (Land of LAWS and RULES for EVERYTHING)

Mojave = 15 miles & in Kern County

Rosamond,(Kern County) Middle of Nowhere 100 miles from anywhere! Has a Libery
known more for the books it DOESN'T have, than for the ones it Does have.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"
Rosamond is some miles from Lancaster and Palmdale (must be some
astonomers there), and not far from the town of Mojave. It is a tad
remote .. maybe two hours from Los Angeles or a bit less depending on
traffic.

Phil

---

Old September 7th 03, 02:21 PM
Moontan13

Hang in there. People often get frustrated with a car, then sell it to the
junkyard because of a minor problem. Car dealers often have "back lot" cars
for cheap too. Me: Spent less than $7,000 total on cars and trucks since
1976.

Old September 7th 03, 04:40 PM
Chris.B

"Starlord" wrote in message ...

. The other is the
AV club which meats down in Palmdale at the new planetium, they are the ones who
I went to two meetings when I first moved out here. The 2nd meeting I took the
Stargazer Steve Dob I had been given, and while it wasn't said out right it was
like 'look at the little dob' and as I don't realy do astro photos, I just
didn't have a commond ground with them.

I find it very hard to believe that every member of an astro club or
society is into photography and has expensive equipment. My memories
of 2 widely seperated astro clubs were much like this newsgroup. Each
member has a particular interest within the discipline of astronomy.
The equipment ranges from absolutely nothing to a very few high end
owners.
Even fewer would have the guts to go out with their scopes onto the
street and show people the night sky. Ask the secretary or contact
person for the number of members in their club. See if anyone lives
fairly local to you who isn't too shy to get together for a chat now
and then. Get the contact person to do the ground work for you rather
than cold calling. An introduction to the club via a member would open
many more doors to you. Inhibitions fall away rapidly if the "new boy"
is known and introduced by a member. It means he's probably "safe" if
he's been "vetted". It's the same in every walk of life.

Chris.B
Old September 7th 03, 08:38 PM
Rod Mollise

Ask the secretary or contact
person for the number of members in their club. See if anyone lives
fairly local to you who isn't too shy to get together for a chat now
and then. Get the contact person to do the ground work for you rather
than cold calling. An introduction to the club via a member would open
many more doors to you.

Hi:

Dennis, I urge you to do this...I think it would really help you resource wise.
I'm guessing that in ANY club--any club I've ever been a member of,
anyway--there would be SEVERAL people willing to get out there with you on the
sidewalk on a regular basis.

Old September 7th 03, 10:00 PM
Joe S.

[...]

Allow me to relate my one experience with sidewalk astronomy -- or should I
say, parking lot astronomy.

Our club scheduled several nights of Mars viewing. A lady with whom I
work -- divorcee with a precocious 6th-grade daughter -- was not able to
make any of them because she works two jobs. I live in an apartment about
1/4 mile from an abandoned K-Mart strip mall -- the mall still has a couple
of occupants but it's mainly empty -- and the parking lot lights are turned
off.

I told her to be in the parking lot last Friday night, 2130 hours, and we
would look at Mars. I hauled my 8-inc Dob to the parking lot around 2045,
checked collimation, and started checking out a few objects. Mars was
already putting on quite a show, although there was some low haze. I split
the Epsilon Lyrae double-double, split Mizar, checked out Arcuturus and
Vega, found M31 (very weak because of light from a shopping center across
the street). The moon was just over 1/2 and it was spectacular.

About this time, the two stores in the old mall closed and their employees
came out to the parking lot. Three of them wandered over to check me out --
I think they were planning to call the cops and report a terrorist with a
mortar. After convincing them that I was harmless, I offered to let them
look through the scope. We started with the moon. I had them compare the
colors of Vega and Arcuturus and explained to them about old stars and young
stars. Then we went to Mars -- the polar cap was barely visible but it was
visible and there was a big, dark surface mark across much of the center and
lower (upper) third of the planet.

I really can't describe their reaction. All three of these folks were
fairly dancing with excitement -- they had never looked at the sky.

Two of these guys were brothers. When one proclaimed how amazed he was at
the craters of the moon, the other told him that he should have paid
attention in high school science. So, what did they do? Pulled out their
cell phone, called their old high school science teacher and asked him to
come see -- he did. They also summoned up a pickup truck load of their
cousins -- literally, a truckload. By the time these folks got through
calling their friends and neighbors on their cell phones, I had a
well-behaved and enthralled crowd of 50 or so.

This attracted the attention of a patrolling cop who stopped by, took a
look, got on the radio, and we had three police cars at the site.

Then my friend, her father, and her daughter showed up along with a couple
of other of my co-workers and their spouses.

While everyone was amazed at Mars, the real hits were the moon and Mizar.

For the moon, I had them look first through a 32mm Radian (38X), then an
18mm Meade SuperWide (67X), then a 7mm Nagler (171X) -- knocked their socks
off -- they could even see the "mountains" in the midst of craters. For
Mizar, I had them check it out with the naked eye (one star), with 10x 50
binos (two stars), then with the 18mm at (67X) where they saw that one of
the two stars was itself a close double.

Everyone saw the polar cap on Mars and the surface markings and one lady
dragged out her pencils and sketch pad and did a sketch under my red LED
light.

Everyone finally drifted away around 2300 with many of them asking when I
would be there again.

Amazing. Just amazing.

--

----