best space movie?

Old October 3rd 03, 01:22 AM
David Higgins

Default best space movie?

Rocky Top wrote:
*Each* F-1 burned 3,500 gallons of Kerosene *per second*! And there
were FIVE of them lighting up.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm having a hard time
believing this. The burn time of the SI-C stage is given
as 161 seconds (http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/saturnv.htm),
which sounds about right to me.

161 * 3500 * 5 = 2,817,500 gallons of kerosene.

Kerosene weighs around 4.8 pounds per gallon, so we have

2,817,500 * 4.8 = 13,524,000 pounds, which is almost double
the S-V launch weight. It's either 3,500 gallons per second
for all five F-1 engines, or 3,500 pounds of kerosene per
second per engine .. both give about the same result, about
550,000 gallons.

I've tried to find an authoritative reference for the size
of the SI-C's tank, but so far I'm striking out. However,
the 550,000 figure derived above sounds about right to me.

Old October 3rd 03, 01:55 AM
wassup

"Mike Flugennock"
...and I guess that's about it.

From the Earth to the Moon "Mare Tranquilatis" - landing sequence

Space Balls - Pizza the Hut

Old October 3rd 03, 02:26 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
David Higgins wrote:
I've tried to find an authoritative reference for the size
of the SI-C's tank, but so far I'm striking out.

Fuel tank 216,000 gallons, LOX tank 345,000 gallons, according to the
Saturn V Flight Manual, Apollo 8 edition.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old October 3rd 03, 09:22 AM
OM

Default Revellogram Saturn V kits (was - best space movie?)

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:56:00 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

I looked for
larger scale plastic models of Apollo and Gemini like I put together
in those days, and they're not made anymore. The Saturn V is.

Actually Revell-Monogram doesn't list the Saturn V as being made
anymore. I might have been fortunate to find one.

....They're out there, you need to do a google search for them. The US
branch of Revellogram hasn't produced them in quite some years, but
the German branch does a short run of them every few years, then ships
them to the US for a sizeable markup. Average price is between $89 and
$139, depending on where you buy it. Be advised that it's got a
****load of errors on it, the most obvious of which is the fact that
they used the 1/96 CSM stack, which was all Block I and not that
accurate at that. New Wave Models has quite a few corrective sets of
decals and parts in resin, PE brass, and even a vacuformed BPC. I've
seen one refurbished original release Revellogram Saturn V kit that
also replaced the "tube roll" plastic with something a *lot* thicker
and stronger. Kit weight about four times normal. but you could hold
it parallel to the deck without worrying that it would bend and break.

....Also, Rick Sternback, IIRC, had a nice writeup on how to make the
kit as accurate as possible, but I've lost the damn link :-(. He's
probably lurking out there, and might be able to provide it.

Hell, and my parents bitched when they paid, what? $15 at Sears for
one when the kit first got issued in '69? ;-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 3rd 03, 09:27 AM
OM

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:51:39 -0400, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

Silent Running is one of those movies that if you see it when you're 13 you
think it's incredible, but years later you watch it again and are totally
embarrassed.

....You get that reaction with any film where Bruce Dern plays a psycho
or an environmental activist.

Had a very similar experience with Dune. Saw it in teh theater, was blown
away. Rented the DVD recently...gah.

....As I've told everyone for years, the only way to view the first
"Dune" flick is to watch the "Alan Smithee" version aired on TV, with
all the cutscenes restored. The movie *actually* makes some sense
then.

....On a side note, one of the liberties the movie took away from the
book's ending was the final fate of Baron Maxo...er...Harkonnen. In
the book, he simply dies from the Gom Jabbar. In the movie, he meets a
far more fitting end where as he's dying from the poison, he gets
sucked into the mouth of a Shai Halud and is devoured. Even Frank
Herbert admitted he should have done that at the end when he first
wrote the book.

Other way around: got the DVDs of Logan's Run and the original Rollerball
recently expecting them to really suck, but they're pretty good movies.

...."Rollerball" is good only for the game action scenes. The rest of
it is a lousy attempt at corporate dystopia. "Logan's Run", however,
will always rank as one of the three films that sold the nation on why
shopping malls will become known as one of the better inventions of
the 20th Century.

The other two films? The chase scene in "The Blues Brothers", and the
original version "Dawn of the Dead" :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 3rd 03, 09:28 AM
OM

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:45:14 -0400, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...

Come'n lissen to a story about a boy named Luke
A young moisture farmer, so bored that he could puke,,,

[Cue Pat Flannery]

dude, I thought you *are* Pat Flannery

....No, I'm Fat Plannery. There's a difference.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 3rd 03, 10:54 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:27:21 -0600, OM

wrote:

Silent Running is one of those movies that if you see it when you're 13 you
think it's incredible, but years later you watch it again and are totally
embarrassed.

...You get that reaction with any film where Bruce Dern plays a psycho
or an environmental activist.

Had a very similar experience with Dune. Saw it in teh theater, was blown
away. Rented the DVD recently...gah.

...As I've told everyone for years, the only way to view the first
"Dune" flick is to watch the "Alan Smithee" version aired on TV, with
all the cutscenes restored. The movie *actually* makes some sense
then.

Ohh, no, I have to disagree. I have both versions, and lemme tell you,
I think they ruined it. It was a stretch anyway, but they only made it
worse.

Having said that, check out the Sci Fi Channels versions of Dune and
Children of Dune, both filmed in Prague.

I love Children of Dune better than any of the others, because it just
looks and sounds so good..

...On a side note, one of the liberties the movie took away from the
book's ending was the final fate of Baron Maxo...er...Harkonnen. In
the book, he simply dies from the Gom Jabbar. In the movie, he meets a
far more fitting end where as he's dying from the poison, he gets
sucked into the mouth of a Shai Halud and is devoured. Even Frank
Herbert admitted he should have done that at the end when he first
wrote the book.

And not on Sci Fi, but a bit of movie trivia. If you watch Conan the
Destroyer (yeah, yeah), you will see the evil queen use the Gom
Jabbar, and the one of the castles is Castle Caladan.

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old October 3rd 03, 12:35 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 06:02:26 -0600, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:54:28 GMT, Wally Anglesea™
wrote:

Ohh, no, I have to disagree. I have both versions, and lemme tell you,
I think they ruined it. It was a stretch anyway, but they only made it
worse.

...Depends on how fluent you are in the Duniverse.

True. I guess that's one of the shortcomings.

I still preferred
the longer version simply because I prefer 3 hour films with all the
outtakes put back in that work. Most of the outtakes we see these days
clearly show that at least 75% of the cuts made are made only to
reduce the film's length, and not to tighten the story or make it
better. The grand goal, IMHO, is to make all films exactly one hour
long so you can charge $20/hour to see a film. _Men in Black II_ is
what I see the first major step in that direction, as it came in at 88
minutes, IIRC.

Yeah, but with Dune, you get the Bene Gesserit being transported by
Harkonnens, in fact they used the same approach shots several times in
the film IRRC.

Having said that, check out the Sci Fi Channels versions of Dune and
Children of Dune, both filmed in Prague.

...The first mini was excellent with some exceptions, while the second
suffered due to some recasting. Alice Krige may have played a perfect
Borg Queen, but was absolutely putrid as Lady Jessica. Saskia Reeves
should have been brought back, period. On the other hand, Ian McNeice
as the Baron Maxso...er...Harkonnen was a *really* bad casting job as
they basically turned the Baron into TV's Frank from MST3K.

MST3k??

All that
was needed was Trace Bellieu as Piter DeVries and Mike Nelson as Feyd.

...And then there was the major subplot that got dropped in the first
mini - the fate of Fluffy Halfwit...er..Thufir Hawat. Six hours and
they couldn't cut at least a few seconds of the various sex scenes to
show how the Harkonnens had compromised him?

Yeah, but then Alia had the nice bit :-))

And I still like Barbara Kordetova. She's got nice boobs :-))

I just thought it's *style* was nice.

SNIP

...Overall, tho, it wasn't as bad a mini as I feared it was going to
be, considering that the budget was reportedly cut by 10% just prior
to filming - thank you Bonnie Hamner at Sci-Fi Channel, you ignorant
[word deleted to keep Mary Shaffer from removing my head and mounting
it on a pike]. Although I would have probably preferred it if Leto
removed from a ring on his finger a red full-body stillsuit with a
yellow lightning bolt on the chest and donned it before he started
running ;-)

LOL, yeah, I thought something along those lines as well.

Old October 3rd 03, 01:02 PM
OM

wrote:

Ohh, no, I have to disagree. I have both versions, and lemme tell you,
I think they ruined it. It was a stretch anyway, but they only made it
worse.

....Depends on how fluent you are in the Duniverse. I still preferred
[...]

they basically turned the Baron into TV's Frank from MST3K. All that
was needed was Trace Bellieu as Piter DeVries and Mike Nelson as Feyd.

....And then there was the major subplot that got dropped in the first
mini - the fate of Fluffy Halfwit...er..Thufir Hawat. Six hours and
they couldn't cut at least a few seconds of the various sex scenes to
show how the Harkonnens had compromised him?

....And *then* there's the way Alec Newman played Paul Atreidies. In
the DeLaurentis movie, you could easily sympathize with Kyle
McLaughlin's portrayal because he played him as a noble-born without
the pompous prig genes in the mix. Newman played him like a rich
spoiled brat at times, and usually at the *wrong* times.

....Still, the special effects were, for the most part, far superior to
the movie version. Best example is, of course, the large transports.
Beautiful! And while once again the 'thopters looked nothing like what
Herbert described, the design still looked good. And the
Harvesters...well, a Harvester is a Harvester :-)

....On the other hand, some of the set designs were inferior to the
movie's. Best example of this - besides the sand dune sets that were
constructed using techniques refined on "General Hospital" or "Days of
our Lives" with the refinements discarded - were the sets on Giedi
Prime. Not only were they an insult to neodeco stylists, but the
camera angles were so tilted that I fully expected Adam West and Burt
Ward to bust in at any minute in their capes & cowls and after a few
POWs, BAMs and OOFs the Harkonnens would have been off to Salusa
Secundus and Cesar Romero would have been revealed as the Joker behind
this mess.

....And then there's the mini's stillsuits. The movie had these beat
all out, as the minis looked more like leftover uniforms from some
Afrika Korps flick.