Oh my God....new Battlestar Gallactica Season a commentary on Iraq!

Old October 17th 06, 08:45 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
David Spain

Default Oh my God....new Battlestar Gallactica Season a commentary onIraq!

Pat Flannery wrote:
Well, the T-Rex had no small feet either.

All in all,
we're just another T-Rex,
on the wall....

;-)

Dave
Old October 19th 06, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
John Schilling

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 03:38:06 +0800, wrote:

John Schilling writes:

So, an airplane flying at ~200 mph is "too slow" to be destroyed by
aerial cannon fire, while aircraft standing still are sitting ducks?

No, but the AC on the ground have all sorts of guidance features to
help you line up to fire.

Possibly I'm missing something. What sort of "guidance features" do
airplanes parked on the ground have, to facilitate their being strafed?

And they are not likley to pop up on you.

The hypothetical pop-up makes no difference. If the Zero executes a
ten-G maneuver at just the instant the Tomcat pilot decides to pull
the trigger, from ~500 meters range he'll be about three meters from
where he was expected to be when the shells arive. A Zero is rather
more than three meters across, as is the dispersion pattern from the
gun.

A 200kn fighter is a whole different ball of wax. There are no nice
lines painted across the sky for you to follow,

There are nice lines painted on the ground for you to follow? I
assure you, the people who use aircraft guns to conduct strafing
attacks are in no way dependant on their targets providing such
helpful cues. Indeed, they rather expect their targets to be
camoflaged.

They still manage to hit them.

and no ground strikes to correct your aim.

Strafing is not done by correcting aim through observation of ground
strikes. If you need to correct your aim visually, you've got tracer
shells for that, but mostly you use the lead-computing and/or CCIP
functionality of the gunsight. Whether the target is in the air or
on the ground, you know where the shells are going to strike before
you pull the trigger.

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *

Old October 22nd 06, 04:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
Herm

that was the analog story..

In article ,

I suspect a winning tactic for the Tomcats would be the "A Hawk
Among the Sparrows" tactic, a close pass at supersonic speed,
using the jet's shock wave and turbulence as a weapon.

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 03:10:11 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

(Henry Spencer) writes:

In article ,

I seem to recall a Analog story where the Future guy made a supersonic
pass, and the opposition broke apart from the shock wave...

Herm
Astropics http://home.att.net/~hermperez