What if MIR hadnt been de orbited?

Old February 29th 04, 06:22 AM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:23:20 -0800, Mary Shafer wrote:
I know my house will come through any possible earthquake just fine,
because all the wire will hold it together. We've got the Cat-5e,
telephone, two sets of coax, the security system, and the electrical
wiring.

Yes, I know what you mean. There's a lo-voltage integrator in these parts
whose trucks bear the words "structural wiring". I laugh everytime I see
what they no doubt meant to be "structured wiring" but then again...

I'm also going to get a whole-house audio system
installed into seven rooms and the patio and courtyard, leaving out
only the 3.5 baths, the laundry room, and the walk-in closets.

Ah, c'mon Mary, put'em in the bathrooms, you know you want to. G

We put in 8 whole house speakers, my office, my wifes office, the dining
room, the deck, the master bedroom (doubling as rear speakers for the
boudoir mini-home theater), the master bath, the powder room (with a
single dual voice coil speaker), and the exercise room. Only the poor
guest are left out in the guest rooms and the guest bath.
Old February 29th 04, 12:24 PM
Hallerb

single dual voice coil speaker), and the exercise room. Only the poor
guest are left out in the guest rooms and the guest bath.

How about the dogs house?
Old March 1st 04, 12:09 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:22:50 -0500, Rick DeNatale
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:23:20 -0800, Mary Shafer wrote:
I know my house will come through any possible earthquake just fine,
because all the wire will hold it together. We've got the Cat-5e,
telephone, two sets of coax, the security system, and the electrical
wiring.

Yes, I know what you mean. There's a lo-voltage integrator in these parts
whose trucks bear the words "structural wiring". I laugh everytime I see
what they no doubt meant to be "structured wiring" but then again...

They strung the wire before they stuccoed and dry-walled and it really
did look as if the house was held together with wire.

I'm also going to get a whole-house audio system
installed into seven rooms and the patio and courtyard, leaving out
only the 3.5 baths, the laundry room, and the walk-in closets.

Ah, c'mon Mary, put'em in the bathrooms, you know you want to. G

The single biggest flaw of this builder, Del Webb, is the habit of
making the master bath huge and sumptuous and the guest baths tiny and
cramped. I've seen bigger baths in '50s motels. I don't think
there's enough ceiling left, with the vent, fan, and lights, to put
speakers in those baths. We might be able to get a set in the powder
room, though. Oh, and I could put them in the sitting room and
breakfast nook, too.

I can't help but think there should be some sort of wireless sound
system, if I only knew where to look. Ditto intercom. Or systems
that use coax, since I have an extra set throughout the main rooms.

We put in 8 whole house speakers, my office, my wifes office, the dining
room, the deck, the master bedroom (doubling as rear speakers for the
boudoir mini-home theater), the master bath, the powder room (with a
single dual voice coil speaker), and the exercise room. Only the poor
guest are left out in the guest rooms and the guest bath.

Not the living room or kitchen? Here the living room, dining room,
and master bedroom seem to be the absolute minimum, with the kitchen
and breakfast nook coming next. Then it's the outdoor sites and then
the guest rooms.

I have to admit that the house currently has terrible acoustics. It's
very hard and bright and likely to stay that way, with high ceilings,
tile floors in most rooms, and no drapes. The so-called open
architecture won't help, either. I'm pretty sure it would annoy the
socks off me to play heavy metal in there, particularly with serious
speakers.

Mary

Old March 1st 04, 10:01 PM
Ami Silberman

I just finished reading where Mary (talking about her new house) wrote
(concerning wiring her house for sound):
The single biggest flaw of this builder, Del Webb, is the habit of
making the master bath huge and sumptuous and the guest baths tiny and
cramped. I've seen bigger baths in '50s motels. I don't think
there's enough ceiling left, with the vent, fan, and lights, to put
speakers in those baths. We might be able to get a set in the powder
room, though. Oh, and I could put them in the sitting room and
breakfast nook, too.

and then I segued, without noticing, into the conversation about
refurbishing Mir, when she wrote:

Bulkhead fasteners, of course. The same way you take hydraulic lines
through the skin of the pressurized space of an airplane. Submarines
and ships use them, too.

Bulkhead fasteners. You're missing some o-rings and gaskets here and
there and you've left out the fastenings, but you've got the basic
idea.

And I was wondering why someone was recommending using bulkhead fasteners to
attach speakers in the guest baths...

Old March 4th 04, 08:20 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:09:11 -0800, Mary Shafer wrote:

The single biggest flaw of this builder, Del Webb, is the habit of
making the master bath huge and sumptuous and the guest baths tiny and
cramped. I've seen bigger baths in '50s motels. I don't think
there's enough ceiling left, with the vent, fan, and lights, to put
speakers in those baths. We might be able to get a set in the powder
room, though. Oh, and I could put them in the sitting room and
breakfast nook, too.

In the "smallest" rooms, you only need to find room for one speaker. They
make dual voice coil speakers which take both left and right inputs for
just this purpose, that's what we put in the powder room.

And just for giggles, we put a wall phone next to each commode.