How can a universe exist?

Old October 31st 03, 04:06 PM
ck26

Default How can a universe exist?

I'm thinking philosophically here, but scientific explanations would be most
helpful perhaps. Basically the inconceivable part of the big bang theory /
universe / time beginning, etc is how can something just begin to exist. It
must have come from nothing. And can can literally no matter become matter
from out of nowhere. I just can't conceive of the universe expanding at its
edges - what is on the otherside of that edge - nothing? How can something
expand into where nothing is? There's nowhere to go?!

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the universe).

Old October 31st 03, 05:19 PM
Rick

"ck26" wrote in message .. .
I'm thinking philosophically here, but scientific explanations would be most
helpful perhaps. Basically the inconceivable part of the big bang theory /
universe / time beginning, etc is how can something just begin to exist. It
must have come from nothing. And can can literally no matter become matter
from out of nowhere. I just can't conceive of the universe expanding at its
edges - what is on the otherside of that edge - nothing? How can something
expand into where nothing is? There's nowhere to go?!

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the universe).

The problem is that you're thinking in three dimensions, not four.
In a 3D universe every inside has an outside, every "now" has a
"before", etc etc.

It doesn't work that way in reality. Space and time are two
aspects of the same phenomenon -- things happen and exist not
only at a specific point in space but also at a specific point in time.
Both were created in the big bang.

What exists outside the expanding edge of the universe? There
IS no such thing as "outside the expanding edge of the universe".
What existed before the big bang? There WAS no "before the
big bang". Again, these questions are a result of three
dimensional thinking.

Rick

Old October 31st 03, 10:02 PM
Impmon

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:06:38 -0000, "ck26" typed:

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the universe).

That's the problem, we don't know for sure. A few centuries ago, the
very thought Earth wasn't the middle of the universe was blasphemous and
men couldn't conceive the thought that Earth is really round and not
flat.

Some human mind just can't perceive the of universe size when the size
equals infinity.

PS we don't even know if there was anything before the big bang. Like
another universe that had collapsed into one singularity.
--
space for rent.
To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

Old October 31st 03, 11:20 PM
Phyloe

"ck26" wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking philosophically here, but scientific explanations would be

most
helpful perhaps. Basically the inconceivable part of the big bang theory /
universe / time beginning, etc is how can something just begin to exist.

It
must have come from nothing. And can can literally no matter become matter
from out of nowhere. I just can't conceive of the universe expanding at

its
edges - what is on the otherside of that edge - nothing? How can something
expand into where nothing is? There's nowhere to go?!

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the

universe).

The answer is really very simple. Magic. It's all done with Magic.
Phyloe

Old October 31st 03, 11:45 PM
Ariel

"Phyloe" wrote in message

.. .

/
universe / time beginning, etc is how can something just begin to exist.

It
must have come from nothing. And can can literally no matter become

matter
from out of nowhere. I just can't conceive of the universe expanding at

its
edges - what is on the otherside of that edge - nothing? How can

something
expand into where nothing is? There's nowhere to go?!

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the

scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the

universe).

The answer is really very simple. Magic. It's all done with Magic.
Phyloe

LOL!
To the original poster, and to all those who like the topic, I recommend
reading Hawking's "Universe in a nutshell" . Very good, illustrative, and
intelligently written.