Seeing old friends

Old July 12th 05, 09:20 PM
laura halliday

Default Seeing old friends

Maybe it's just me, but I still get a kick out of seeing
things in the morning that I hadn't seen since they
ducked behind the sun in the evening.

My latest was padding out to the back yard at 0400 PDT
the other morning and seeing the Pleiades, just clearing
the trees. Mars was prominent and if it hadn't been getting
light so quickly I would have gone back in and gotten a
telescope. As it was, I settled for binoculars.

Probably my all-time favourite dawn sighting was watching
Orion rise at dawn last year at the Mount Kobau star party
(early August). Magic!

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old July 12th 05, 10:19 PM
Donna and Ian

laura halliday wrote:

Probably my all-time favourite dawn sighting was watching
Orion rise at dawn last year at the Mount Kobau star party
(early August). Magic!

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Hi Laura,

It was in August of 1969 that I first noticed what I later
learned is Orion's Belt - I was fascinated by the line of
three stars rising over the houses towards east in the
dawn sky. I looked at books in the school library, the town's
technical library and a friend showed me Patrick Moore's
Astronomy Yearbook, which had a complete year of monthly
charts showing how to identify the major constellations.
Orion in the dawn was my introduction to Astronomy.

Have you seen this page .. ?
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/qsl-hamsinthesky.htm
... possibly not because you're not there.

73, Ian

--
Ian Stirling, G4ICV, AB2GR, Long Valley, New Jersey, USA.
Email address is not valid: contact details are on that
Old July 13th 05, 07:42 AM
Stuart Levy

In article .com,
laura halliday wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I still get a kick out of seeing
things in the morning that I hadn't seen since they
ducked behind the sun in the evening.

My latest was padding out to the back yard at 0400 PDT
the other morning and seeing the Pleiades, just clearing
the trees. Mars was prominent and if it hadn't been getting
light so quickly I would have gone back in and gotten a
telescope. As it was, I settled for binoculars.

Probably my all-time favourite dawn sighting was watching
Orion rise at dawn last year at the Mount Kobau star party
(early August). Magic!

Oh yes, a Me too from here!

Some of my most persistent memories are from
blearily rising before dawn to see, as you name them well,
old friends... Orion through pine trees at an August summer camp.
Or Arcturus and Leo rising into the brightening October sky.

Stuart in rainy Champaign, IL
(glad for the rain for once though, it's been too dry,
and we did have lovely clear dry weather
just this last weekend...)
Old July 13th 05, 01:48 PM

laura halliday wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I still get a kick out of seeing
things in the morning that I hadn't seen since they
ducked behind the sun in the evening.

My latest was padding out to the back yard at 0400 PDT
the other morning and seeing the Pleiades, just clearing
the trees.

Yes, it's wonderful. Time travel is one of the prerogatives
of stargazing. Even now when the nights are shortest, you
can jump ahead a full season just by staying up until
daybreak.

The first appearance of the Pleiades is particularly
magical, because they usher in the winter sky.
So now, the most vexatious season for astronomy in
the eastern U.S., I can look forward to the long
nights, clear skies, and bug-free comfort of winter.

- Tony Flanders