Metric on Mars

Old January 22nd 04, 07:08 PM
Markus Kuhn

Default Metric on Mars

(Gary W. Swearingen) writes:
(Markus Kuhn) writes:

I wonder how many U.S. readers really find 200 million miles
significantly easier to visualize than 300 million km.

Many. Because they learned in their youth that the sun is 93 million
miles away, so 200 million miles is a little over 2 AU. But given the
unfamiliarity of a huge metric figure, many won't bother with the
initial conversion from km to miles and will have almost no idea how
big 300 million km is.

Does that mean that all that is necessary to feel at home with
a system of units is to memorize just a hand full of reference
values for comparison in each field?

But these could be learned in a few minutes.

I guess in air and space science, these might be in SI units:

Distance pole to equator (Earth): 10 000 km = 10 Mm

Length of the Earth equator: 40 000 km = 40 Mm

Altitude of geostationary Earth orbit: 36 000 km = 36 Mm

Distance Earth-Sun: 150 Gm = 150 million km

Diameter of solar system: 12 Tm

Diameter of our galaxy: 1 Zm

Distance to most distant visible objects: 100 Ym

Speed of sound: 300 m/s

Speed of light: 300 000 km/s

Acceleration of free fall (Earth): 10 m/s²

Atmospheric pressure (Earth): 100 kPa

Density of water: 1000 kg/m³ = 1 kg/L

Cruise altitude of passenger planes: 10 000 m = 10 km

Cruise speed of passenger planes: 600-800 km/h

10 deca da | 0.1 deci d
100 hecto h | 0.01 centi c
1000 kilo k | 0.001 milli m
10^6 mega M | 10^-6 micro µ
10^9 giga G | 10^-9 nano n
10^12 tera T | 10^-12 pico p
10^15 peta P | 10^-15 femto f
10^18 exa E | 10^-18 atto a
10^21 zetta Z | 10^-21 zepto z
10^24 yotta Y | 10^-24 yocto y

[From
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/metric-system-faq.txt ]

Markus

Old January 22nd 04, 07:46 PM
David Ross

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:

(Markus Kuhn) writes:

I wonder how many U.S. readers really find 200 million miles
significantly easier to visualize than 300 million km.

Many. Because they learned in their youth that the sun is 93 million
miles away, so 200 million miles is a little over 2 AU. But given the
unfamiliarity of a huge metric figure, many won't bother with the
initial conversion from km to miles and will have almost no idea how
big 300 million km is.

That is the basic problem: Because there is no effort to make SI
measurements familiar (e.g., in our schools, road signs, retail
stores, weather reports), we can't adopt the SI. It is also a
fallacy. If we adopt the SI, it will become familiar.

My daughter moved to Canada seven years ago. Now, when we compare
weather, she always cites temperatures in Celsius. If she
travels, she even thinks in kilometers. She cooks using metric
measuring spoons and cups.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old January 22nd 04, 07:59 PM
Joona I Palaste

David Ross scribbled the following
on misc.metric-system:
"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
(Markus Kuhn) writes:
I wonder how many U.S. readers really find 200 million miles
significantly easier to visualize than 300 million km.

Many. Because they learned in their youth that the sun is 93 million
miles away, so 200 million miles is a little over 2 AU. But given the
unfamiliarity of a huge metric figure, many won't bother with the
initial conversion from km to miles and will have almost no idea how
big 300 million km is.

That is the basic problem: Because there is no effort to make SI
measurements familiar (e.g., in our schools, road signs, retail
stores, weather reports), we can't adopt the SI. It is also a
fallacy. If we adopt the SI, it will become familiar.

I.e. you can't adopt the metric system because it's not familiar, and
it's not familiar because you haven't adopted it?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ) ------------- Finland --------\
"A bee could, in effect, gather its junk. Llamas (no poor quadripeds) tune
Old January 22nd 04, 11:14 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Ool wrote:
One Polar Lander lost because of unit confusion and Murphy's Law is
probably enough...
Then again, that happened because NASA had already switched to metric
while the company they'd gotten their descent velocity data from
hadn't. They thought they were looking at m/s when the numbers were
ft/s. Thus the thing came in just a little bit to fast...

No, this is confused. :-) The probe that was lost was Mars Climate
Orbiter, which unintentionally entered Mars's atmosphere while trying to
do its orbit-insertion burn. The immediate cause was a small navigation
error, due to the combination of a units error (newtons vs. pounds) in
computing the effects of thruster burns, and a lot of bad luck. The
broader cause, though, was that the error wasn't *caught*, despite
persistent hints that something was not quite right with the navigation.

Mars Polar Lander was lost due to a software error which had nothing to do
with units of measure.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old January 23rd 04, 12:32 AM
Stephen Graham

In article ,
Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
(Stephen Graham) writes:

Nor is 93 million miles a easily comprehensible figure. For most people,
it's BigNumber. No-one really has an understanding of how large the sun
is either, so relative scale isn't going to help.

I easily comprehend 93 million miles as the radius of the Earth's
orbit in the drawings of the solar system I frequently see (regardless
of the out-of-scale sun and planet sizes).

That's not really comprehending the distance. All the diagram gives
you is proportional scale.

Most of us comprehend how far 100 or 1,000 miles are. Those are distances
that we more or less routinely travel in this day and age. Beyond that,
well, it just gets arbitrary.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:34 AM
Stephen Graham

In article ,
John Savard wrote:
That the Sun is 93 million miles away is indeed very well known.

I doubt that more than 10% of the US population can cite that figure.
Have any statistics to back your claim up?