Bush to announce new missions to moon

Old January 9th 04, 02:02 AM
Rusty Barton

Default Bush to announce new missions to moon

Bush to announce new missions to moon

Posted 1/8/2004 8:43 PM

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) — President Bush will announce plans
next week to send Americans to Mars and back to the moon and to
establish a long-term human presence on the moon, senior
administration officials said Thursday night.
Bush doesn't plan to send Americans to Mars anytime soon; rather, he
envisions preparing for the mission more than a decade from now, one
official said.

The president also wants to build a permanent space station on the
moon.

The initiatives are part of a broad, new commitment to manned space
flight, three officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

They said Bush wants to aggressively reinvigorate the space program,
which has been demoralized by a series of setbacks, including the
space shuttle disaster last February that killed seven astronauts.

The officials said Bush's announcement would come in the middle of
next week.

Bush has been expected to announce a major space initiative, and some
thought he do so at the 100th-anniversary celebration of the Wright
brother's first flight last month in North Carolina.

Instead, he only pledged the United States would continue to lead the
world in aviation.

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, has called for an expansion
of the U.S. space program, including a return to the moon.

McClellan spoke with reporters accompanying Bush on a trip to
Tennessee and Florida.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ush-moon_x.htm

Old January 9th 04, 02:54 AM
Joe Strout

In article ,
Rusty Barton wrote:

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) — President Bush will announce plans
next week to send Americans to Mars and back to the moon and to
establish a long-term human presence on the moon, senior
administration officials said Thursday night.

Which "senior administration officials" are these, exactly? The same
ones who said he'd make an announcement at Kitty Hawk, and then a week
later denied that any such announcement was ever under consideration?

The initiatives are part of a broad, new commitment to manned space
flight, three officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Oh. Yes, *those* officials.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old January 9th 04, 04:40 AM
Stephen Souter

In article ,
Rusty Barton wrote:

[...]

Judging from the fine print, I'm not sure everyone will be happy:

"Sources said Bush will direct NASA to scale back or scrap
all existing programs that do not support the new effort."
--http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040107-123930-1532r

I note the word "all".

Would that be including unmanned programs, both mooted and/or inflight
(eg JIMO, Cassini etc), as well as manned ones?

--
Stephen Souter

http://www.edfac.usyd.edu.au/staff/souters/
Old January 9th 04, 04:44 AM
Mike Rhino

"Rusty Barton" wrote in message
Bush to announce new missions to moon

Posted 1/8/2004 8:43 PM

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) - President Bush will announce plans
next week to send Americans to Mars and back to the moon and to
establish a long-term human presence on the moon, senior
administration officials said Thursday night.
Bush doesn't plan to send Americans to Mars anytime soon; rather, he
envisions preparing for the mission more than a decade from now, one
official said.

The president also wants to build a permanent space station on the
moon.

If a lunar space station precedes a manned Mars mission, then the Mars
mission won't occur until many years after Bush leaves office. He can talk
about a Mars mission, but it will be just talk that has no real meaning.

Old January 9th 04, 04:49 AM
Scott Lowther

Mike Rhino wrote:

If a lunar space station precedes a manned Mars mission, then the Mars
mission won't occur until many years after Bush leaves office.

A crash mission to Mars wouldn't come to fruition in any conceivable
Bush administration. At best he has 5 years left; ain't getting there in
that length of time.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old January 9th 04, 05:05 AM
Neil Gerace

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message
Mike Rhino wrote:

If a lunar space station precedes a manned Mars mission, then the Mars
mission won't occur until many years after Bush leaves office.

A crash mission to Mars wouldn't come to fruition in any conceivable
Bush administration. At best he has 5 years left; ain't getting there in
that length of time.

But does he have a son?

Old January 9th 04, 05:26 AM
Alan Figgatt

Stephen Souter wrote:
Judging from the fine print, I'm not sure everyone will be happy:

"Sources said Bush will direct NASA to scale back or scrap
all existing programs that do not support the new effort."
--http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040107-123930-1532r

I note the word "all".

Would that be including unmanned programs, both mooted and/or inflight
(eg JIMO, Cassini etc), as well as manned ones?

My reading of other on-line news reports indicate that the "all" refers to the science
programs for the space station. I would think most of the unmanned efforts - certainly the
Mars probes, the space telescopes, the Discovery missions - would continue, but would they
cut the more expensive deep space missions such as Pluto Express or to Mercury or Jupiter?
I hope not, but we shall see.

The next several weeks will be interesting.

Alan Figgatt

Old January 9th 04, 05:32 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
u:

"Scott Lowther" wrote in
message ...
Mike Rhino wrote:

If a lunar space station precedes a manned Mars mission, then the
Mars mission won't occur until many years after Bush leaves office.

A crash mission to Mars wouldn't come to fruition in any conceivable
Bush administration. At best he has 5 years left; ain't getting there
in that length of time.

But does he have a son?

Two daughters, both too young to run. But he has two brothers, one (Jeb) in
politics (governor of Florida), and Jeb has at least one son.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old January 9th 04, 05:44 AM
Scott Lowther

Alan Figgatt wrote:

My reading of other on-line news reports indicate that the "all" refers to the science
programs for the space station. I would think most of the unmanned efforts - certainly the
Mars probes, the space telescopes, the Discovery missions - would continue, but would they
cut the more expensive deep space missions such as Pluto Express or to Mercury or Jupiter?

I'd hope not... but then, I'd gladly trade a robotic camera to the great
beyond for giving mankind a real future in space again...

Old January 9th 04, 08:15 AM
Dr. O

"Alan Figgatt" wrote in message
Stephen Souter wrote:
Judging from the fine print, I'm not sure everyone will be happy:

"Sources said Bush will direct NASA to scale back or scrap
all existing programs that do not support the new effort."
--http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040107-123930-1532r

I note the word "all".

Would that be including unmanned programs, both mooted and/or inflight
(eg JIMO, Cassini etc), as well as manned ones?

My reading of other on-line news reports indicate that the "all" refers

to the science
programs for the space station. I would think most of the unmanned

efforts - certainly the
Mars probes, the space telescopes, the Discovery missions - would

continue, but would they
cut the more expensive deep space missions such as Pluto Express or to

Mercury or Jupiter?
I hope not, but we shall see.

I would hate to see Pluto Express get scrapped. I would like to see a
close-up snapshot of Pluto in my lifetime.