Minuteman ICBM reaches Mach 1 at 60-ft above launcher?

Old October 22nd 03, 06:30 PM
Rusty B

Default Minuteman ICBM reaches Mach 1 at 60-ft above launcher?

I found a web page on Edwards Air Force Base website that describes
early captive silo test launches of the Minuteman ICBM.

In the article it is claimed that, "a Minuteman passes through Mach
1.0 by the time it travels its own length above the launcher."

A Minuteman I is 55.9-ft tall, A Minuteman III is 59.75-ft tall.

Can anyone verify this claim?

The original article is at this URL:

http://www.edwards.af.mil/moments/do.../59-02-17.html

--
Rusty Barton - Antelope, California |
E-mail - |
Old October 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
James Oberg

If S = 0.5 a t**2,
and V = at,

Then since S = 55 ft, and V = 1100 ft/sec

a t**2 = 110
and
at = 1100

gives t= 1/10 sec
a = 11000 ft/sec/sec
where g = 32.2 ft/sec/sec
hence a = 340 G's

....which strikes me as implausible.

That would mean it reaches its burnout velocity of approx 22,000 ft/sec in
two seconds.

I don't think so.

om...

Old October 22nd 03, 07:16 PM
Pat Flannery

Rand Simberg wrote:

Seems dubious to me. Unless I screwed up the calculation, that means
over 300 g acceleration (zero to 760 mph in sixty feet). I'm pretty
sure its liftoff T/W is nowhere near that...

The only one I can think of that would do that is the Sprint ABM.

Pat

Old October 22nd 03, 07:19 PM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:05:46 GMT, in a place far, far away, "James
Oberg" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

If S = 0.5 a t**2,
and V = at,

Then since S = 55 ft, and V = 1100 ft/sec

a t**2 = 110
and
at = 1100

gives t= 1/10 sec
a = 11000 ft/sec/sec
where g = 32.2 ft/sec/sec
hence a = 340 G's

...which strikes me as implausible.

That would mean it reaches its burnout velocity of approx 22,000 ft/sec in
two seconds.

Actually, it would do much better than that, since the 340 g is just
the *beginning* acceleration, when it's fully fueled. Just imagine
what it would be as it approaches burnout. ;-)

Old October 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
Mary Pegg

James Oberg wrote:

If S = 0.5 a t**2,
and V = at,

Then since S = 55 ft,

Is that the Babylonian foot or the Roman foot?

[ducks and runs]

Old October 22nd 03, 11:05 PM
Allen Thomson

I note in passing that the previous posts in this thread are an
admirable example of the advantages of numeracy. Take a claim that
has numerical implications, crank the numbers, and see if
the claim is plausible.

Would that people did that more often.
Old October 23rd 03, 12:52 AM
R Neutron

(Rusty B) wrote in message . com...
I found a web page on Edwards Air Force Base website that describes
early captive silo test launches of the Minuteman ICBM.

In the article it is claimed that, "a Minuteman passes through Mach
1.0 by the time it travels its own length above the launcher."

A Minuteman I is 55.9-ft tall, A Minuteman III is 59.75-ft tall.

Can anyone verify this claim?

The original article is at this URL:

http://www.edwards.af.mil/moments/do.../59-02-17.html

I've heard similar claims about the shuttle, although not near as much
accelaration, I recall on occasion hearing 100 mph as it clears the
tower does anybody an accurate figure on this? RN
Old October 23rd 03, 03:21 AM
Kim Keller

"R Neutron" wrote in message
om...
I've heard similar claims about the shuttle, although not near as much
accelaration, I recall on occasion hearing 100 mph as it clears the
tower does anybody an accurate figure on this? RN

That figure is accurate.

-Kim-