Chinese do it!

Old October 15th 03, 02:43 PM
Henry Spencer

Default Chinese do it!

In article ,
Allen Meece wrote:
OK! I'm a delireously happy space cadet today. Because the commies are back!
And they're gonna try for the moon which means we'll have to race em again and
spend some money on manned exploration.

Why? There is no Cold War to make this important.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old October 15th 03, 02:46 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
John Penta wrote:
Entrenching the $millions/ton lauch crowd even further won't do good things.

Only if you're fanatically libertarian re space.

No, it suffices to want *sustained* spaceflight. Another race won't
accomplish that, because at the end of a race, everybody stops running.
Old October 15th 03, 03:31 PM
Christopher

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:45:29 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Tubbiolo
wrote:

Hi All:

Just heard news the Chinese have launched about 30 min ago. None
of the ephem services list it yet. Too bad I did not generate a fake set.
Anybody know if the initial ground track takes it near the U.S. West
Coast?

Yeah, it was on my clock radio this morning as it clicked on for the
7am news. Well done China, and welcome to human space flight.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old October 15th 03, 04:15 PM
jeff findley

"Dave" writes:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
u...
"Andrew Tubbiolo" wrote in message

Nooo!

The Russians did it. It just happens there's a Chinese communist

astronaut
aboard.

The Chinese have copied the Russian space vehicle, and the space suit as
well.

Its more original than that being fair to China. The separate control and
power on the orbital module is pretty signficiant a departure to suggest its
not purely a Soyuz clone.

Perhaps Alan is suffering from the condition "we could launch someone into space
if we wanted to".

The fact is that the Chinese are there. They did build on Russian
experience, but clearly the launch vehicle is Chinese, the orbital
module is Chinese, and I'm sure much of the systems inside the descent
and propulsion module are Chinese designs.

The spacesuit may be a Russian suit or a copy, but so what? Who
bitches when ESA astronauts wear US or Russian suits?

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old October 15th 03, 04:29 PM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:38:32 -0400, in a place far, far away, John
Penta made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Let's just go back, dammit.

Why?

Cuz we can. Why need a better reason. It's there, we can do it.

So we go and do it, dammit.

Ah, the anthem of the economically and politically ignorant.

What, don't dreams count for anything anymore?

They never did, when it comes to space policy.

Old October 16th 03, 01:04 AM
MSu1049321

Now THAT's what i call Chinese takeout!
Problem is, you orbit the earth in a chinese capsule, 90 minutes later, you
wanna orbit again...

Thanks, I'm here all week..;-)