Death Sentence for the Hubble?

Old May 2nd 05, 06:45 PM
Jim Davis

Rand Simberg wrote:

You'll never see an RLV if real savings can't be wrung out of
ELVs.

Somehow, Burt achieved real savings in a suborbital "RLV"
without any cost savings in sounding rockets.

By suborbital "RLV" you of course mean non-RLV. That's the reason
for the quotes, right?

If and when RLVs emerge it will be because of markets created
by ELVs.

That's seems to be a quite dubious statement to me, given that
cost-effective space transports (I hate the phrase "RLV") will
require completely new markets to be viable. Do you have any
basis for it whatsoever?

We seem to be in complete agreement. RLVs need new markets to be
viable. Those new markets will be created by ELVs. One possibility
is the orbital tourism market recently opened up by ELVs. If the
market proves large enough it might spur the development of RLVs.

Jim Davis
Old May 2nd 05, 10:22 PM
Rand Simberg

On 02 May 2005 17:45:49 GMT, in a place far, far away, Jim Davis
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

You'll never see an RLV if real savings can't be wrung out of
ELVs.

Somehow, Burt achieved real savings in a suborbital "RLV"
without any cost savings in sounding rockets.

By suborbital "RLV" you of course mean non-RLV.

No.

That's the reason for the quotes, right?

No, the reason for the quotes is that I dislike the phrase RLV (and
"launch vehicle" in general). I (like Mitchell Burnside Clapp, its
originator) prefer "space transport."

Nonetheless, it is an RLV in the sense that it launches things into
space (though not orbit).

If and when RLVs emerge it will be because of markets created
by ELVs.

That's seems to be a quite dubious statement to me, given that
cost-effective space transports (I hate the phrase "RLV") will
require completely new markets to be viable. Do you have any
basis for it whatsoever?

We seem to be in complete agreement. RLVs need new markets to be
viable. Those new markets will be created by ELVs.

That's very unlikely.

One possibility
is the orbital tourism market recently opened up by ELVs. If the
market proves large enough it might spur the development of RLVs.

The market won't prove large enough until the RLVs are developed.
That's already happening with SS2, Rocketplane, and others.
Old May 3rd 05, 06:41 AM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 03 May 2005 02:19:19 GMT, in a place far, far away, Fred J.
McCall made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

:I'd actually like to see a Hubble repair mission fly, but I seriously doubt
:it will happen. My guess is that he would need buy-in from Bush and his
:other advisors, and I doubt he's got that yet.
:
:I'd be willing to wager that he got it before taking the job. Not
:that they care. I'm pretty sure that was O'Keefe's decision, not the
:White House's.

Rand, what's wrong with you. Everyone knows that any decision that is
unpopular MUST have been made directly by Bush.

Don't you mean Cheney? Everyone knows that Bush is just a puppet of
Halliburton.
Old May 3rd 05, 06:44 PM
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Tue, 03 May 2005 02:19:19 GMT, in a place far, far away, Fred J.
: McCall made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
: such a way as to indicate that:

: :I'd actually like to see a Hubble repair mission fly, but I seriously doubt
: :it will happen. My guess is that he would need buy-in from Bush and his
: :other advisors, and I doubt he's got that yet.
: :
: :I'd be willing to wager that he got it before taking the job. Not
: :that they care. I'm pretty sure that was O'Keefe's decision, not the
: :White House's.
:
: Rand, what's wrong with you. Everyone knows that any decision that is
: unpopular MUST have been made directly by Bush.

: Don't you mean Cheney? Everyone knows that Bush is just a puppet of
: Halliburton.

yawn....

....back to sports and science.
Old May 4th 05, 12:08 AM
JATO

Lockheed & Boeing's launch groups join forces. United Launch Alliance (ULA)
is born.

-JATO
http://jatobservtory.org
Old May 4th 05, 03:56 PM
Jeff Findley

"JATO @jatobservatory.org" jatoNo-Canned-Ham wrote in message
Lockheed & Boeing's launch groups join forces. United Launch Alliance

(ULA)
is born.

And competition for EELV launches effectively ends. This single stop
shopping will no doubt do little in the long term to lower launch costs of
EELV's.

Jeff