Why is the Earth so Homogenized ??

Old June 30th 03, 12:54 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Why is the Earth so Homogenized ??

Naturally it is not 100% homogenized,but we find lots of iron embedded
in surface rock in every part of the world.Most of iron is at the
earth's center. Why is any at the earth's surface?. Same has to be
true of uranium. Lots of aluminum near the earth's surface. Can't see
that element near the earth's core,but who knows? If there was
aluminum near the core I could create a nice theory on magnetizum.
Seem when the earth was a very hot liquid all the elements should have
been in layers heavy elements making up the core going up to gases to
the surface(yes)? Well things can be tricky Put small light
marbles mixed in with large heavy marbles in a large jar,and shake the
jar very well and you will find the heavy large marbles on the top
(go figure) Bert

Old June 30th 03, 03:17 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Naturally it is not 100% homogenized,but we find lots of iron embedded
in surface rock in every part of the world.Most of iron is at the
earth's center. Why is any at the earth's surface?. Same has to be
true of uranium. Lots of aluminum near the earth's surface. Can't see
that element near the earth's core,but who knows? If there was
aluminum near the core I could create a nice theory on magnetizum.
Seem when the earth was a very hot liquid all the elements should have
been in layers heavy elements making up the core going up to gases to
the surface(yes)? Well things can be tricky Put small light
marbles mixed in with large heavy marbles in a large jar,and shake the
jar very well and you will find the heavy large marbles on the top
(go figure) Bert

I think the idea of layers certainly falls true to a point. As for the final
placement of matter, I think that can be easily answered by the constant
churning that the earth does. Earth Quakes, Volcanos, Plate Tetonics. The
earth is getting shaken and stirred, so maybe those heavy layers are down
deep, but they keep getting pushed to the top with the rest of the ice and
gin...I mean rock and stuff.

BV.

Old June 30th 03, 10:51 PM
Sally

It is all getting continuously jumbled up.

There is a constant slow turnover of surface material. Generally, new
material wells up along areas called mid-ocean ridges and eventually gets
buried again in other locations called subduction zones. Most of the surface
which does this recycling is located on the ocean floors. There are other
areas of more permanently floating crust that can move, break up and rejoin
Mid-ocean ridges and subduction zones are both subject to earthquakes as are
areas where continental plates are being forced together. All of this
surface movement is thought to be driven by convective forces in the
interior.

Sally

Old June 30th 03, 11:44 PM
Odysseus

Sally wrote:

It is all getting continuously jumbled up.

There is a constant slow turnover of surface material. Generally, new
material wells up along areas called mid-ocean ridges and eventually gets
buried again in other locations called subduction zones. Most of the surface
which does this recycling is located on the ocean floors. There are other
areas of more permanently floating crust that can move, break up and rejoin
Mid-ocean ridges and subduction zones are both subject to earthquakes as are
areas where continental plates are being forced together. All of this
surface movement is thought to be driven by convective forces in the
interior.

In addition most of the iron outside the core is in the form of
silicates, oxides, and so on, which have much lower densities than
metallic iron or iron-nickel -- instead being comparable to the other
materials in the mantle. So unless there's some sort of chemical
process at work that causes metallic iron to 'precipitate' there's no
reason to expect the iron to 'gravitate' towards the core.

Compare with water, which of course is much less dense than any of
the minerals in the earth's interior or crust -- yet only about 1% of
the water in the planet has managed to find its way to the surface
over the past 4.5 billion years or so.

--Odysseus
Old July 1st 03, 12:06 PM
Sally

BTW...the only other body in the solar system known to currently have a
recycling surface is Io.

Sally

Old July 1st 03, 10:31 PM
Robert Ehrlich

no you will find the large marbles on top regardless of the difference
in specific gravity between large and small. Wreaks havoc machines that
produce "combination of ingredients" pharmaceuticals. The size
difference can be quite small for the effect to take hold,

Old July 1st 03, 11:04 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

I think you will find that the large objects can either settle to the
bottom or rise to the top, and it doesn't depend in any simple way on
density. The "cereal-box effect"?? Something like that. There's a lot of
research on it.

In message , Robert Ehrlich
writes

--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old July 4th 03, 12:47 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

To add to the mystery we find gas pockets locked in the earth's surface.
We find no hydrogen,or helium in the atmosphere,and that is logical.
Don't seem logical to find say a mile below the earths crust these two
gases. Is there a theory on this? The two gases are mixed together,and
the ratio is 1% helium. Helium does not bond to other atoms so it is
very easy to separate. It is not rare today and is very cheap to buy.
Has only a few uses. Bert

Old July 6th 03, 02:23 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

An emailer asked why helium is so plentiful today? The reason is a smart
chemist 25 years ago working at Exxon city in Colorado found 1% helium
mixed in with the hydrogen that comes out of oil wells. This is true all
over the world. That was true in the days of the Hindenburg,but Germany
did not have a smart chemist to check it out. There is a reason why
hydrogen is not twice as buoyant as helium,but I forgot how it goes?
Bert

Old July 6th 03, 04:31 PM
David G. Nagel

Helium is element #2 on the atomic table. He is what is called an inert
element because all the electron orbital positions are filled and no
chemical combinations are possible. Hydrogen fills the #1 position and
with only one proton it has only one electron in orbit. This leave one
electron orbital position open for chemical combination. Hydrogen is
very reactive due to this and forms a bond with the first available
atom. For the most part this is another Hydrogen atom, not always but
for this discussion that is what we are considering.
Now Hydrogen has an atomic weight of 1.something per atom, Helium has an
atomic weight of 2.something being slightly less than two Hydrogen
weights, this difference is what is laughingly called a Hydrogen bomb.
Now if the He atom occupies 1 unit of space due to the fact that it has
two protons, two neutrons and two electrons, then the H2 molecule
occupies slightly less space due to it's lack of the two neutrons. The
actual difference in lift between 1H2 and 1He is about 94% in favor of
1He. Hydrogen lifting less than Helium.
Germany with it's lack of natural petroleum reserves could not produce
Helium in sufficient quanties for use in lighter than air craft. The US
Navy could not even afford to have enough helium for two of it's rigid
airships, they had to share. Germany tried to obtain quantities of
helium from the US but was refused because the government was afraid of
the possibility that it could be used for war purposes. 38 people died
in New Jersey as a result and an industry was destroyed with the
Hindenberg in 1938.
Some minor points in my rather long winded dissertation may be in error
but the general point of what I am trying to say are correct. Exact
numbers are not presented because I don't feel energetic enough to look
them up.