Planet Like 'Star Wars' Tatooine Discovered Orbiting 2 Suns

Old September 16th 11, 06:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Planet Like 'Star Wars' Tatooine Discovered Orbiting 2 Suns

"It's a real-life Tatooine. A spectacle made popular
by the "Star Wars" saga — a planet with two suns —
has now been confirmed in space for the first time,
astronomers revealed.

Scientists using NASA's Kepler space telescope
captured details of a giant planet in orbit around the
pair of binary stars that make up the Kepler-16 system,
which is about 200 light-years away."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/planet-star-wa...181404397.html

Old September 22nd 11, 11:15 AM
anneking anneking is offline
Junior Member

Thank you so much for providing such interesting article! Was the planet mentioned above consider an exoplanet? Basically, an "exoplanet" is a planet outside the solar system. And its discovery was made by NASA's planet-hunting telescope Kepler, but I believe we should also credit the human planet hunters for this out of their curiosity. Indeed, curiosity is a very powerful tool. Why do I say this? It is because the word "curiosity" is the fuel of science and all other disciplines of human study. This is infallibly true to all planet hunters, as it becomes their driving force. The fact that the search for human friendly planets in other solar systems has been massive for years in the United States, it is still handed down up to this era. This reminds me of the article I read a while ago. Check this out: Citizen science racks up another win with Planet Hunters. Sounds catchy, isn't it? Just click the link for the details. It will supplement you with additional information regarding planet hunters and exoplanets.