Hubble image of Mars this August?

Old August 5th 03, 10:24 AM
Paul Neave

Default Hubble image of Mars this August?

Ever since I saw the 2001 'close encounter' image from Hubble,
I have been eagerly awaiting this year's closest approach for
thousands of years. The 2001 image was the clearest yet of what
Mars would look like if you were sat right above the planet in
a spaceship. Absolutely humbling.

Does anyone know if Hubble will be taking images this time
round? It'd be a huge tragedy to miss such a great opportunity.

BTW - BBC's 2001 report

And this year's:

Many thanks,
Paul.

Old August 5th 03, 11:18 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:24:33 +0100, "Paul Neave"
wrote:

BTW - BBC's 2001 report

This report finshes with...

"The Mars opposition of 2001 (this event sees the Earth lie directly
between the Sun and the Red Planet) serves as a prelude for 2003 when
Mars and Earth will come within 56 million km (35 million miles) of
each other. That will be the closest they been since 1924 and will not
be matched again until 2287."

Is 1924 60,000 years ago?

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old August 5th 03, 11:29 AM
Pete Lawrence

"The Mars opposition of 2001 (this event sees the Earth lie directly
between the Sun and the Red Planet) serves as a prelude for 2003 when
Mars and Earth will come within 56 million km (35 million miles) of
each other. That will be the closest they been since 1924 and will not
be matched again until 2287."

Is 1924 60,000 years ago?

I guess 1924 is the second closest. Phew - heat is getting to me

Old August 5th 03, 11:32 AM
Pete Lawrence

I guess 1924 is the second closest. Phew - heat is getting to me

Heat IS getting to me because I'm rambling to myself - sorry.

2003 apparition just needs to be closer than any other appartition for
60,000 years - Doh! Just ignore me!

Old August 5th 03, 11:50 AM
Geoff Smith

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
I guess 1924 is the second closest. Phew - heat is getting to me

Heat IS getting to me because I'm rambling to myself - sorry.

2003 apparition just needs to be closer than any other appartition for
60,000 years - Doh! Just ignore me!

Please stop spamming this group with your meaningless babble.

Old August 5th 03, 12:08 PM
Phil Wheeler

Ooops .. looks like the Beeb did not do their homework, Pete.

A local organization (not an astronomy club) has scheduled an event to
see Mars through a telescope on the night of its closest approach -- 4
Oct 2003. and they are charging admission! I called them and they are
clueless: Said all I know what is printed in the schedule. One does
wonder about the person owning the scope, though.

Oh well.

Phil

Old August 5th 03, 12:33 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:50:15 +0100, "Geoff Smith"
wrote:

I guess 1924 is the second closest. Phew - heat is getting to me

Heat IS getting to me because I'm rambling to myself - sorry.

2003 apparition just needs to be closer than any other appartition for
60,000 years - Doh! Just ignore me!

Please stop spamming this group with your meaningless babble.

What you mean shut up completely ;-) !

This is what too much sleep and coffee does for you.

How's the weather up there in Scotland Geoff - does it get dark at
night yet?

Old August 5th 03, 12:38 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:08:07 GMT, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

Ooops .. looks like the Beeb did not do their homework, Pete.

A local organization (not an astronomy club) has scheduled an event to
see Mars through a telescope on the night of its closest approach -- 4
Oct 2003. and they are charging admission! I called them and they are
clueless: Said all I know what is printed in the schedule. One does
wonder about the person owning the scope, though.

Oh well.

The press is beginning to jump onto the band-wagon now. I have had a
number of requests from people to help me point out Mars on a
particular night be cause a radio/TV program has said it's visible
*tonight*. The general impression is tonight and tonight only!

Old August 5th 03, 01:18 PM
Gavin Whittaker

In uk.sci.astronomy Paul Neave writted:

: Does anyone know if Hubble will be taking images this time
: round? It'd be a huge tragedy to miss such a great opportunity.

I can see where the sentiment is coming from Paul, but given that we're
getting images from a couple of hundred km above Mars via the Mars
global surveyor, I'm not sure that there's any value in Hubble taking the
time out to look.

ATB, Gavin
Old August 5th 03, 05:54 PM
Paul Schlyter

wrote:

BTW - BBC's 2001 report

This report finshes with...

"The Mars opposition of 2001 (this event sees the Earth lie directly
between the Sun and the Red Planet) serves as a prelude for 2003 when
Mars and Earth will come within 56 million km (35 million miles) of
each other. That will be the closest they been since 1924 and will not
be matched again until 2287."

Is 1924 60,000 years ago?

In this context --- almost!!!

Mars' maximum apparent diameter in 1924 was a mere 0.01 arc seconds
smaller than the corresponding value in 2003. No observer would be
able to notice the difference, if they were able to observe both
oppositions.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/