Luxon 76/700 telescope

Old July 8th 03, 02:46 AM
Starlord

Default Luxon 76/700 telescope

Sounds like just another Department store telescope, no worth the time.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Drs. Nixan" wrote in message
Hello,

I'd like to buy a telescope for as well as space observations (moon,
planets, etc.) as well as 'earth' observations (towers, birds, etc.).

I noticed the Luxon 76/700 telescope, containing 2 Barlow lenses.

My question: is this telescope a good choice for my purposes, or would you
advise another one.

Any comment would be appreciated, thanx in advance!

Nick

---

Old July 8th 03, 03:34 AM
Drs. Nixan

Sounds like just another Department store telescope, no worth the time.

Meaning?

Regards,
Nick

Old July 8th 03, 04:57 AM
Starlord

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Old July 14th 03, 08:53 AM
mumblin-joe

What are your price ranges? Age and seriousness of the user?
The telescope you are referring to is made by Luxon Astronomie in the
netherlands and would be fine as a first scope for a youngster that may
treat the scope roughly and not be that serious about astronomy. It costs
about $100 US and is a reflector telescope. If this is for an adult viewer
that is more serious about viewing then I wouldn't recommend it. Be more
specific about the intended use for the scope... Terrestrial (earth)
photography? Cellestrial (space) photography? Do you want something with a
computerized "goto" function to assist you in finding objects in space?
There are alot of options and lots of information on which scope is best for
you depending on what you intend to do with it and prices range from a
couple hundred dollars to many thousands of dollars... I ended up getting 2
scopes for myself. One is a 10" Orion dobsonian mounted reflector
(newtonian) and is great but a bit large for packing around and terrestrial
use and a small tasco starguide (maksutov - cassegrain) for portability, the
computerized goto functions and terrestrial use. The tasco is the same as
the celestron nexstar and is quite a bit cheaper. Saw one on ebay just now
for $350 with several additional plossyl lenses, not bad...
It is really difficult to tell someone what scope is best for them, its like
telling someone what car is best for them... That is why very few people
here will take the time to assist you. I would recommend you exhaust
yourself reading on the internet and learning as much as you can before you
make your purchase so you will get what is best for you. Once you are
addicted as I am getting you will then start to save your pennies for better
scopes.
Hope this was some help. Good luck and happy viewing!
Joe