Digital Camera and Telescope

Old July 9th 03, 01:54 AM

Default Digital Camera and Telescope

Hi. I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to
try it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.

I'm using a Meade ETX90 scope and a Nikon D100 digital camera. I have
the proper attachments. However, try as I may, I can't get the moon to
focus. I tried both with the long extender tube and the shorter version.
With the shorter, I come closest, but I get almost focused, using the
eyepiece of the camera, and the focus knob comes to it's end and I can't
clear it up. What am I doing wrong, or couild I have the wrong
equipment? I bought the camera adapters from, Meade, for a Nikon. It
attaches fine to the camera and scope, so it seems to be the right one.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Old July 9th 03, 03:18 AM

Thanks. But with the lens removed so the telescope adapter can be
installed, how can I set any focus at all on the camera itself?

Set your camera's focus to infinity and leave it at that. Most camera's
focusing were designed for closer object and moon's a long way out.

Old July 9th 03, 06:57 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message ,
writes
Hi. I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to
try it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.

I'm using a Meade ETX90 scope and a Nikon D100 digital camera. I have
the proper attachments. However, try as I may, I can't get the moon to
focus. I tried both with the long extender tube and the shorter version.
With the shorter, I come closest, but I get almost focused, using the
eyepiece of the camera, and the focus knob comes to it's end and I can't
clear it up. What am I doing wrong, or couild I have the wrong
equipment? I bought the camera adapters from, Meade, for a Nikon. It
attaches fine to the camera and scope, so it seems to be the right one.

I don't know the Nikon D100. Is it a SLR with a removable lens, or does
it have a fixed lens? Either way, you should be able to get a picture by
simply focussing on the Moon and pointing your camera with lens focussed
at infinity through the telescope eyepiece. If you use the camera lens
you also need the eyepiece - I don't think you can get an image without
it. The camera just replaces your eye.
If you're using prime focus photography without a camera lens or
eyepiece you _should_ be able to reach focus - you can have problems
doing this with a Newtonian but not with an ETX, I would think.
Similarly with eyepiece projection.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old July 10th 03, 01:59 AM

The D100 is in fact, a true SLR digital. I removed the lens and used the
T attachment and adapter tube I bought from Meade. Still no luck getting
the arrangement focused.

In message ,
writes

Old July 11th 03, 08:35 AM

This might be obvious, but how good or bad was the seeing that night? And
how long was your exposure for? The reason I ask is, it can be very hard to
get crisp exposures of the moon, especially when the astmosphere is moving
all over the place. The longer your exposure, the worse the effect. By any
chance, does you exposure look more out of focus in some places than in
others? I never got a good crisp shot of the moon until I got up to about
8000 feet on a slightly hazy night when the seeing was good and the gods of
the CCD were benevolent.

Old July 11th 03, 11:09 PM
JATO

Remove the tube, so only the Tmount is attached to the camera
Hold the camera against the back of the ETX-90 with one hand.
Using your other hand focus the telescope.
This will tell you if you extender tube is to long, which I suspect it is

JATO
www.jatobservatory.org

Old July 12th 03, 01:28 AM

(It was a very clear night, which is why I decided to try taking the
photos. Couldn't see a cloud in the sky and no haze. And I actually got
some shots, albeit out of focus, with regular shutter speeds of 1/30 and
1/60 second. Didn't use the cable or bulb setting.

This might be obvious, but how good or bad was the seeing that night? And
how long was your exposure for? The reason I ask is, it can be very hard to
get crisp exposures of the moon, especially when the astmosphere is moving
all over the place. The longer your exposure, the worse the effect. By any
chance, does you exposure look more out of focus in some places than in
others? I never got a good crisp shot of the moon until I got up to about
8000 feet on a slightly hazy night when the seeing was good and the gods of
the CCD were benevolent.

.. .