How blue is a blue star?

Old April 7th 05, 12:58 PM
Starlight-Starbright

Default How blue is a blue star?

Thinkin' to set my novel on a planet circling the bright blue star
Spica (alpha-virginis), now on show in spring evenings. Now, the
question is how much blue light will illuminate the planet of this
star? I want to put some scenes of exotic, deep blue landscapes and the
like. (There can't be life there as such, but it's only fiction).

Would the brighness wash out all the color, or not? All answers
invited!

cheers, me deers!!

Starlight

Old April 7th 05, 01:12 PM
Twittering One

"How blue is a blue star?

Thinkin' to set my novel on a planet
Circling the bright blue star
Spica (alpha-virginis),

Now on show
In spring evenings.

Now, the question ~
How much blue light will illuminate
The planet of this star?

I want to put some scenes
Of exotic, deep blue landscapes
And the like.

(There can't be life there
As such,
But it's only fiction).

Would the brightness wash out
All the color, or not?

All answers
Invited!

Cheers, me deers!!"

~ Starlight

"How blew Blew?
O deer, just ask ~ Ms.
Annie! Or Ms.

Fannie Brice, aka, Ms.
Barbara Streisand, if necessary!"
~ Folly

"This just
In ~"
~ Twittering

"Appealing workplaces are to be avoided.
One wants a room with no view,
So imagination can meet memory in the dark."
~ Anne Dillard

"If imagination meets memory
In the dark ~ Its dark memories dark ideas
And dark designs.
Dark is for sleeping."
~ george

"... and Darts,
That Morning Wood discotheque ~
For dancing in the dark ...

.... O, who's that wearing Dark Glasses,
Shady character, lurking over in the corner,
In the dark, at Darts?"
~ Twittering

"... care for
A 'lude?"
~ Jane

"O, Afternoon's Prelude
For a Faun, or L 'Images? Or Limoges
China? Or just ~ A cookie from Jane's Jungle
Kitchen? Why

Yes, don't mind if I do!
Merci.

Seen Mare, or
Marzipan? Or have you just ~ Papered The Place
Yourself?

.... and where's Elf,
Starring in our next Hampton Hound Ballet?

If we can't rustle up Elf,
Mica must dance ~ Must Star!"
~ Twittering

"O, yes, Jane
Knows Leonardo, well, as well, All
My
DeadE Back Bay Beacon ~ Street Boyz Makin' Lots ~ a ~ Noyz!

As well,
Jane knows ~

'TK ~
The Sequel:
93 Waltham Street'
A Truer Tale!

O, yes, Jane
Hung out with me & Leonardo

On Waltham Street! A Boston Chapter
Of This Tale Of Noir, or Woe."
~ Twittering

~ * ~

Old April 7th 05, 01:18 PM
Twittering One

"... but on a clear
Day, you can see forever!"
~ Barbara

"... O, who's that wearing Dark Glasses,
Shady character, lurking in the corner,

Over in the dark, at Darts,
Corner of Dartmouth and Newbury?"
~ Twittering

Old April 7th 05, 01:19 PM
Peter Webb

"Starlight-Starbright" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thinkin' to set my novel on a planet circling the bright blue star
Spica (alpha-virginis), now on show in spring evenings. Now, the
question is how much blue light will illuminate the planet of this
star? I want to put some scenes of exotic, deep blue landscapes and the
like. (There can't be life there as such, but it's only fiction).

Would the brighness wash out all the color, or not? All answers
invited!

cheers, me deers!!

Starlight

I assume we are talking about human eyes. I don't know much about alien life
form eyes.

Ever taken a photo indoors at night and not used a flash? Noticed when you
get the photos back everything is orange coloured?

Fact is, normal incandescent lights are very orange. Its just that your eyes
(or maybe your brain) automatically compensates and makes white things
white. This happens all the time in real life, whenever we move from one
type of light source to another. When we look at an indoor photo our brains
cannot compensate for just the photo, so we see the "real" colours.

This is your problem on alpha-virginis (BTW a great planet name). With human
eyes, however blue the light, our brains will immediately compensate and it
will be perceived as white. So no deep blue shadows.

Old April 7th 05, 01:30 PM
Twittering One

"But on a clear night,
Twilight twinkles, you can see forever!"
~ Barbara

"How blue is a blue star,
You ask? Why not just go see

The Boston Flower Show!
They'll know! The Horticulturists know
Everything!"
~ Folly

"Thinkin' to set my novel on a planet
Circling the bright blue star
Spica (alpha-virginis),

Now on show
In spring evenings."
~ Starlight

"O ~ I know! Blew
Delphiniums!"
~ Twittering

"Now, the question ~
How much blue light will illuminate
The planet of this star?"
~ Starlight

"Call Ms.
Star Black ~ She'll know!
Star shoots celebrity photos!
Star knows all The Stars!"
~ Folly

"I want to put some scenes
Of exotic, deep blue landscapes
And the like."
~ Starlight

"The like,
What's that?"
~ Twittering

"You're aroused the lilacs and they brew violets
with inappropriate fluidity!"
~ Star Black

"Twittering ~ Viking
Penguin said call home!"
~ Folly

"What? A Viking, know ~ Never
Trust him! You never know about men.
But Penguins nice."
~ Twittering

Old April 7th 05, 01:40 PM
Twittering One

"Who do you love?

Who do you love?"
~ Bo & Seymour

"Who do I love? I love Who,
My owl, and many, many more. Seen Ms.
Beebo Brinker?

Yes, me and Folly,
Birds of a feather ~ Dogs together,
Wandering the heather ~

For when we reach Morning Wood,
Our promises we'll keep!

Mama waits for us ..."
~ Twittering

~ * ~

"Cowboy logic,
Jan."
~ JJ Lodder

"Seen
Leonardo? Or Tom Robbins?
A hitchhiker we be, swimming the Shimmering Sea. Or Mr.

Steven Slough, a fine bud of ours,
And Ms.
Chake Najarian, so Highly Esteemed, too?

But O, if you know,
If you have contacts high above,
We must know ...

.... who murdered Ms.
Melody Mix, my bud Terry's sister?

I need to know ~ For a shotgun in her head,
No, not likely Melody

Could have shot herself
With a shotgun ~ No matter
What the police said! So know! Many thanks.

Gotta run!

O, seen Leonardo?
Blog, or dog? Who knows.

But if you see my lost pup, please bring him home!
I got Leon a brand-new bone.

Or perhaps,
We could hitch a ride, ride shotgun?"
~ Twittering

*

Shotgun ~ A short-range
Smoothbore gun that discharges
A load of small pellets. An offensive formation

In football, usually used when passing,
In which the quarterback receives the snap
A few yards back

Behind the line of scrimmage. Brought about
By pressure, threats, or force. Having
No clear design,

Purpose,
Or objective.

*

"No purpose?
O, heck, yeah, we do."
~ Folly

"O, yes, indeed, we do!
Yes, true, we have AD[Hi!]D, a Spectrum Disorder,

But heck ~ If you shift the mean,
We're just plain normal! A tall order
Folly and me were given ~ Find Leonardo! Seen
Him?"
~ Twittering

"Twittering, look ~
A porpoise!"
~ Folly

"No, Folly,
She's a dolphin ~ A delphinium!"
~ Twittering

"Or, if you wish ~
The Delphic Oracle."
~ Ms. Dolphin

"O, charmed, I'm sure.
My name's Folly."
~ Folly

"I'm Twittering."
~ Twittering

"How lovely to meet you both, Folly,
Twittering, following

Me along this sandy quartz beach ~

Also known
As the Far Reach of Knossos."
~ Dolphin

"Really? Folly
Told me, this, The Great Barrier Reef."
~ Twittering

"Golly,
Twittering, I guess I was wrong.
Please forgive me."
~ Folly

"No problem, Folly,
Don't worry.
We'll get there, we're just hugging the shore ...

Someone's shore ..."
~ Twittering

"Sure?"
~ Folly

"O, yeah.
Pretty sure.
~ Twittering

"Pretty shore,
Too!"
~ Folly

*

Old April 7th 05, 02:44 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Starlight-Starbright wrote:

Thinkin' to set my novel on a planet circling the bright blue star
Spica (alpha-virginis), now on show in spring evenings. Now, the
question is how much blue light will illuminate the planet of this
star? I want to put some scenes of exotic, deep blue landscapes and the
like. (There can't be life there as such, but it's only fiction).

Would the brighness wash out all the color, or not? All answers
invited!

cheers, me deers!!

Starlight

nightbat

Nightbat blue, still shinning brightly but very very blue.

ponder on,
the nightbat
Old April 7th 05, 03:37 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Starlight Best the planet has a humid atmosphere,and this will reflect
light back blue by scattering the light rays. Let the planet reflect
light back to look like a blue marble. Bert

Old April 7th 05, 03:56 PM
Twittering One

"Starlight ~
Best the planet has a humid atmosphere,
And this will reflect
Light back blue

By scattering the light rays.
Let the planet reflect light back to you ~

Look ~
Like a blue marble!"
~ Bert

"Blue marble, or Blew Marlin?"
~ Folly

"Mr.
Marvin Hamlisch, or the Pied Piper
Of Hampton Township?"
~ Mer Loleil

"Crack my vessel,
Spout a leak? Pour, poor me, decant me?

Me, no more, now, no nothing more
I see ~
But liquid sky ...

An azure bleeding shimmering
Sea,

Just diffuse pigment,
Staining me? For all I see ~

Now ~ Just Morris Louis paintings unfurling!
Figure, ground? All's same,

Seems to me. Pigment wed
To canvas. Me inside my frame.

Or this ~
A blood stain?

Hymen, or ear's tympanum,
Drum broken,

A blood stain on
My pillow?

But, O,
My bed? Who knows me

Biblically?
Folly and me, O so, chaste,

So tired,
So tried and true!

Did someone put
A chastity belt on us?

Or a woven spell,
To keep us chaste, for a very long spell?

O, this shell, you say,
My telephone?

......................... Allo?
Mum?

Is this taught,
A lesson missed, never learned,
Over at The Goldfish School?

Please explain. I lost my marbles, or
Missed that day. Or was I merely napping,

Ignoring, hushing that Raven
Persistently tapping, rapping at my door?

Or perhaps, yes, more likely,
Did my mind, O know ~

Unravel
Me, undone.

O, for Folly told me
Someone whacked me over

Me head, ransacked
My bed, ran off hollerin' toward ~

The Holland Tunnel!
But Mum, my knapsack, now a bundle

Of tears
And fears.

So, if my head, still cracked ~
.... a China Wedgwood reparation I must
Pay, a border tax,

And what, if, too,

Folly and me get basted, stuffed, as well,
With Chivas Regal?"
~ Twittering

~ * ~

" ~ !
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
Marbles! Marbles! Marbles!
~ !"
~ Folly

"Lord Elgin ~
Where?"
~ Twittering

"'WOW!!
What a Ride!'"
~ Ann

"A New York Ride,
Perhaps, by
The Highly Esteemed ..."
~ Twittering

"He was one of those men who possess almost
Every gift,
Except the gift
Of the power to use them.
~ Charles Kingsley

"... he needed to heed
A Key, a Task ~ Master.

Or a tactful, masterful Twittering One,
Tacking tactfully,

Sailing into the wind
To win, looking for Holland, wind mills ~"
~ Twittering

"Where's the room with the Mummies,
And The Gallery of The Knight's

Armor

Who Dreams
Impossible Dreams?"
~ Folly

"Behind that door, over there,
That says ~

'Art Is Work,'
Over on East 32nd Street."
~ The Vacuum

"From far with thundering noise among our foes
Such implements of mischief as shall dash
To pieces, and orewhelm whatever stands
Adverse, that they shall fear we have disarmd
The Thunderer of his only dreaded bolt.
Nor long shall be our labour, yet ere dawn
Effect shall end our wish. Mean while revive;
Abandon fear; to strength and counsel joind
Think nothing hard, much less to be despaird."

~ Milton,
From "Paradise Lost."

Book VI, vs. 488 - 495

"Merci! Nice
Jacket.

Nice verse, too.
Did you rehearse?"
~ Folly

~ * ~

Old April 7th 05, 05:55 PM
Mike Dworetsky

"Starlight-Starbright" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thinkin' to set my novel on a planet circling the bright blue star
Spica (alpha-virginis), now on show in spring evenings. Now, the
question is how much blue light will illuminate the planet of this
star? I want to put some scenes of exotic, deep blue landscapes and the
like. (There can't be life there as such, but it's only fiction).

Would the brighness wash out all the color, or not? All answers
invited!

cheers, me deers!!

Starlight

To the human eye, the landscape will not look much bluer than it does on
Earth. The brain adjusts our perceptions so that any significant colour
variations are minimised. The big problems will be that (a) there will be a
lot more UV around even if there is ozone in the atmosphere, and (b) the
surface brightness of the star will be much higher than that of the Sun, so
even a slight direct glimpse of the star directly might lead to blindness.
Sunglasses and a complete coverup will be the order of the day--no
sunbathing.

By the way, isn't Spica a binary? Will you work that in?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)