CHANDRAYAAN = ? Photoshop + cut and paste ?

Old November 12th 08, 11:43 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

Default CHANDRAYAAN = ? Photoshop + cut and paste ?

On Nov 12, 1:15 am, Jim Newman wrote:
Painius wrote:
"Jim Newman" wrote in message...

And your original post was questioning the resolution quality of the
photograph "Why exactly did they intentionally degrade their image"

You then squeaked "perhaps too much of the sodium saturated atmosphere to
deal with"

You don't do yourself any favours do you!
:-)

At great risk of falling into a weird pigeon hole, i must
ask you, Jim, wouldn't the presence of any resolution
degrading substance that is thickest up to 100km still
have an effect no matter if you're 100km, 200km, or
300,000km away from the surface?

Sorry, but i see Brad get picked on a lot. And frankly,
he does bring much of it on himself. But in this case,
it appears to me that you're barking up the wrong tree.
Rather than question the resolution degradation issue
from the angle of distance from the surface, maybe a
concentration upon the question as to whether such a
tenuous amount of sodium (even within the 100km
limit) would have much of an effect on resolution in
the first place?

After all, we can get a good bit of detail of the Moon's
surface from Earth with a fair telescope. Does the
atmospheric sodium content have a significant effect
on image resolution? at *any* distance?

Ask yourself why it is that the 'lunar sodium atmosphere' degradation
only affects this image, but doesn't affect images taken from the Earths
surface.

The photograph in question was taken from near Earth orbit - 311,200km
from the moon. The equipment used to take the photograph is /designed/
to be used at a distance of about 100km. When in normal use, the
resolution will be 3000x better because the camera will be 3000x nearer.

In other words, you're saying it's out of focus. Sure, why the hell
not.

~ BG
Old November 12th 08, 12:23 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Nov 11, 11:58 pm, "Mike Dworetsky"
wrote:
"BradGuth" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 1:24 pm, Jim Newman wrote:
BradGuth wrote:
On Nov 11, 6:44 am, "harmony" wrote:
http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/...n/Moon_Enh.jpg

Interesting. Why exactly did they intentionally degrade their image?
(it worked perfectly while imaging Earth, even with narrow bandpass
filtering)

Was there too much Van Allan or Magnetosphere radiation, too much of
those UV secondary/recoil photons or perhaps too much of the sodium
saturated atmosphere to deal with?

What 'sodium saturated atmosphere' are you talking about?

Search for the words sodium and moon.

That Selene sodium, which isn't of much density at 9r, or even the
average of 50/cm3 out to a million km as within a comet like trail of
sodium still isn't all that bad, but otherwise it gets a bit more
populated or saturated at 1.1r or less. At 100 km they should be
right in the thick of it, especially near the surface of the solar
illuminated side should offer more abundance than above the cold
nighttime surface.

~ BG

The Moon does not have its own atmosphere, but solar wind impacts on the
surface sputter off atoms at speeds up to and including lunar escape
velocity. An experiment specifically designed to study this is on board
Chandrayaan:

http://www.chandrayaan-i.com/chandra...oads/sara.html

See what it says about this on that page. As the satellite has not yet
reached its final orbit, it may not be switched on yet. Certainly, a period
of a few days or weeks is normally needed for engineering checks on the
instruments.

Surely you jest. Perhaps a few minutes or possibly hours once in LEO,
which I'm certain each and every instrument was in fact tested
extensively using mother Earth as its target.

The moon is likely a highly charged and otherwise reactive/anticathode
orb, and perhaps those solar wind blown particle storms should likely
exist, but that initial image (one out of a thousand that should
exist) is simply proof of something else entirely weird going on.

btw, CMEs and especially of halo CMEs are currently few and far
between. In other words, there's minimal solar wind at this time.

In any event, Brad, are you an Indian tax payer? Or a tax payer of an ESA
member state? If not, then you have no right to demand the data be made
public to you.

Yes I am. I happen to own my fair share of NASA which provided a few
of those instruments, and otherwise I'm a global tax paying citizen
and consumer of most everything that's global cost inflated because of
these spendy off-world adventures.

Each and every citizen and other life on Earth has rights to what
others are doing with our hard earned public loot and limited
resources, that which can't help but impact our environment and any
number of other critical matters. You can't spend our hard earned
billions here or there and otherwise divert or drain our resources
without consequences.

Like most space projects involving collaborations with academics, full
public release of data is embargoed for a period of time to allow them to
study, analyse, and write reports for publication. Academic scentists spend
a considerable amount of time and effort proposing, designing and
constructing experiment packages, then have to wait for the flight and
return of telemetry data. Exclusive right to the data for a period of time
is the "payback" for this effort, which affects their academic careers.

Of which we citizen of Earth have once again paid for, in a hell of a
lot more ways then you are willing to admit.

If you don't like this, well, too bad. It isn't a conspiracy against you..

--
Mike Dworetsky

Clearly you are making up excuses, and otherwise covering on behalf
their intellectual cartel/cabal butts with your brown nose, the exact
same as those Zionist/Nazis did on behalf of Hitler and more recently
on behalf of our NASA/Apollo fiasco and now of our resident LLPOF
warlord(GW Bush).

btw, what about the terrestrial birth to grave and thus all-inclusive
environmental impact and subsequent cost of such missions, or don't
you understand the meaning of "birth to grave" or "all-inclusive"?

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old November 12th 08, 12:48 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Nov 12, 2:44 am, (Andrew Robert Breen) wrote:
In article ,

Mike Dworetsky wrote:

See what it says about this on that page. As the satellite has not yet
reached its final orbit, it may not be switched on yet. Certainly, a period
of a few days or weeks is normally needed for engineering checks on the
instruments.

The word I'm getting (from one of the instrument PIs, just down the
corridor) is that it's about 10 days until the science instruments start
taking data. There'll be a period of calibration following that, of
course, but the data should be coming in from then.

--
Andy Breen Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth

Thank you for that feedback. However, what's to calibrate about a
camera, other than selecting the best image out of hundreds or
thousands that are using whatever optical filtering or bandpass
configuration for achieving their best affect?

That initial moon image released to the public looks as though they
were using a special affects fog inducing filter. The other image of
Earth by that same terrain camera was crystal clear (or was that one
of Earth via their color camera with all of the color/hue saturation
excluded), but was there some kind of lens protective but yet optical
plate or cap that had not been opened up for the look-see at our moon?

BTW, is their color camera broken or also in need of "calibration"?

Can we get a full disclosure listing of these optical filters and
their plan of action for using them individually or as stacked
elements?

~ BG
Old November 12th 08, 02:28 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Nov 10, 10:37 pm, BradGuth wrote:
What gives? (why the delay?)

Is our DARPA and NASA telling India/ISRO what they can or can't do?

Is our Selene/moon still nondisclosure rated?

Why not allow India/ISRO to share raw/unaltered science data from all
11 instruments, including those original full digital frames of raw
(monochrome and color) images?

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”

Why the delay or nondisclosure policy? (NASA damage control?)

Because we’ve been specifically informed by ISRO, we know that at
least some if not most of the 11 science instruments had been turned
on for quite some time (since having left LEO), and their having sent
back valid data, including radiation status and otherwise images from
their high resolution cameras (most likely hundreds if not thousands
of images by now). So why the media delay or need-to-know policy?

Either they have accomplished such science and having received valid
data and many observationology worthy images via Chandrayaan-1, or
they don’t. There’s no need of such information being studied or much
less modified before release to the general public that’s paying for
everything.

For example; What was their go-between space environment, especially
while within the Earth-Moon L1?

What sorts of spectrum bandpass or cutoff filters are currently being
used on behalf of their monochrome terrain mapping camera? (in other
words; we’ll need to know the optic or bandpass specs of each image)

What is the A/D limited dynamic range of either monochrome or color
camera?

What is each of their CCD’s raw dynamic range and spectrum bandwidth
or scope?

In other words, why not impress us by way of ISRO telling or otherwise
sharing in exactly what we’re getting for our hard earned public loot?

Mike Dworetsky wrote:

See what it says about this on that page. As the satellite has not yet
reached its final orbit, it may not be switched on yet. Certainly, a period
of a few days or weeks is normally needed for engineering checks on the
instruments.

The word I'm getting (from one of the instrument PIs, just down the
corridor) is that it's about 10 days until the science instruments start
taking data. There'll be a period of calibration following that, of
course, but the data should be coming in from then.

--
Andy Breen Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth

Thank you for that informative feedback. However, what's to calibrate
about a camera, other than selecting the best image out of hundreds or
thousands that are using whatever optical filtering or bandpass
configuration for achieving their best affect?

In other words, why select the worse possible image or much less
intentionally degrade a given image?

http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/...n/Moon_Enh.jpg

That initial moon image released to the public looks as though they
were using a special affects fog inducing filter. The other image of
Earth by that same terrain camera was crystal clear (or was that one
of Earth via their color camera with all of the color/hue saturation
excluded), but was there some kind of lens protective but yet optical
plate or cap that had not been opened up for the look-see at our moon?

BTW, is their color camera broken or also in need of "calibration"?

Besides the following links; can we get a full disclosure listing of
these optical filters and their plan of action for using them
individually or as stacked elements?

http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/htmls/hysi.htm
http://www.chandrayaan-i.com/chandra...oads/hysi.html

It sounds like each and every “Hyper Spectral Imaging” obtained image
can be as color/hue saturated as it ever needs to be, especially
effective within their extended sensor dynamic range that’s apparently
a mystery even to ISRO. Other than a basic grayscale 8 bit
calibration, and thus limited to 8 bits per color wavelength, whereas
you might think they’d use at least 12 bit A/D, although as great as
16 bit should have been doable. However 8*64 contiguous bands = 512
bits worth of full spectral image data per composite image is
certainly a lot of color/hue saturation data to work with.

It’ll be interesting as to see how much excluding of the blue to
violet spectrums get moderated or entirely taken out of those images
before getting released to the public domain. As a matter of purely
scientific interest, I’d like to see all 64 hue/spectral bands as is
per given image. In other words, 64 frames of 8 bits each per image
will do nicely.

The terrain mapping camera with 10 bit usage of it’s APS dynamic range
is certainly good enough depending on what sort of optical bandpass
filters get utilized.

http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/htmls/tmc.htm
The “spectral region of 0.5 to 0.85 µm” certainly excludes the bluish
hue saturation or mineral fluorescence created by all of the UV
secondary/recoil (black light) affect coming off that reactive lunar
surface.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old November 12th 08, 02:53 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"OM" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:47:13 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Brad thinks the moon is made of frozen salt water.

Brad still thinks the stork brings babies. Which is why if we can't
shoot the *******, at least we should make sure there's lots of bird
hunters living nearby so they can make sure he reproduce that way.

Perhaps we could sic a few of those Wisconsin Loon hunters on him ...

Old November 12th 08, 05:29 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
harmony

BradGuth wrote:
[...]

harmony:
the only image of the moon made available so far at the isro website is one
from over 30 thousand miles.
no close ups yet. the final orbit in which chandrayaan is supposed to settle
into is just 100 miles circular orbit.
i agree that some great pictures should be available by now if all is ok.

In any event, Brad, are you an Indian tax payer? Or a tax payer of an ESA
member state? If not, then you have no right to demand the data be made
public to you.

Yes I am. I happen to own my fair share of NASA which provided a few
of those instruments, and otherwise I'm a global tax paying citizen
and consumer of most everything that's global cost inflated because of
these spendy off-world adventures.

Each and every citizen and other life on Earth has rights to what
others are doing with our hard earned public loot and limited
resources, that which can't help but impact our environment and any
number of other critical matters. You can't spend our hard earned
billions here or there and otherwise divert or drain our resources
without consequences.

harmony:
i like brad's attitutde. you gotta to know a bit about the exteremly strange
happenings in india before you dismiss brad's enthusiasm. any visitor to
india can observe these which i did on a recent visit:
- did you know that everybody is welcome in india and treated well - except,
of course, the taxpayers who are hindus, a terribly apolitical people who
are 80pct of the population.
- would it surprise you that the indian sikh prime minister (who is an
appointee, who actually lost election!!!!!!!) is on the record thundering
that "the muslims have the first right on national resources".
- did you know that the hindus are tortured in india by its anti-hindu govt
which is controlled by christians. yes, just last week a young hindu
priestess was locked up in prison and treated inhumanely on trumped up
charges. (the reason was that a scooter was used in a terror act that was
stolen from her 2 years back by muslims - no terrorists are ever caught in
india which has an open border policy with pakistan, the wholesale breeder
of terrorists. the idea of anti-hindu govt is to import millions of muslims
into india and make them citizens overnight with voting rights).
- the hindu equivalent of a pope - called shankaracharya - was jailed
without prima facie by christian bureaucrats in the south and spoken to in
vile language by a christian prosecutor.
- all donations made by the hindus in their temples are channelized for the
upkeep of christian churches or financing muslims so they can go to saudi
arabia for something called hajj.

Old November 12th 08, 05:39 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

wrote:

Brad thinks the moon is made of frozen salt water.

Brad still thinks the stork brings babies. Which is why if we can't
shoot the *******, at least we should make sure there's lots of bird
hunters living nearby so they can make sure he reproduce that way.

Perhaps we could sic a few of those Wisconsin Loon hunters on him ...

Or perhaps you could simply encourage the honest release of public
funded science without all the usual exclusions or banishment of
whatever might rock the NASA/Apollo good ship LOLLIPOP.

? Visual UV florescence ? (because secondary/recoil photons don't
exist on Selene?)

There's hardly any question as to why their TMC is intentionally
spectrum limited as to the 500 to 850 nm worth of what our physically
dark Selene/moon that would have otherwise been over-saturated in the
400 to 500 nm band. I'm fairly certain that portions of the 400 to
500 nm spectral attributes will also be extensively moderated or
entirely excluded from their HySI (color) mapping of the Selene/
surface, just so that the public doesn't get any notions as to
wondering why those Apollo EVAs had such unfiltered Kodak moments
without ever any hint of the visual mineral or artificial material
fluorescence within the 420 to 480 nm band.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old November 12th 08, 05:49 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
Jim Newman[_3_]

BradGuth wrote:

The photograph in question was taken from near Earth orbit - 311,200km
from the moon. The equipment used to take the photograph is /designed/
to be used at a distance of about 100km. When in normal use, the
resolution will be 3000x better because the camera will be 3000x nearer.

In other words, you're saying it's out of focus. Sure, why the hell
not.

Sigh
Get your digital camera.
Set focus to infinity.
Take a photo of the moon.
Crop to include just the Moon.
Resize the crop so the moon diameter is about 700 pixels.

Learn the difference between 'focus' and 'resolution'
Old November 12th 08, 06:16 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/.../Moon_Enh..jpg

[...]

Such as by now hundreds to pick from, and later on we'd be talking of
having tens of thousands to select from (including those HySI
images). So, why not offer the public at least a few of their best
examples, instead of just one terribly ****-poor monochrome image
that's worse than cell phone camera quality?

[...]

I've never thought of India as being the least bit evil, having
ulterior motives or intentions of global domination, so I can fully
appreciate their expertise and entitled bragging rights that can be
attributed to this Selene/moon conquest. I even like the idea of the
India flag being planted on Selene.

[...]

It seems our Usenet/newsgroup contributor Mike Dworetsky is another
one of our DARPA spook/moles in charge of public and media damage
control.

~ BG

Old November 12th 08, 08:46 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.astronomy,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,uk.sci.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

"OM" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 06:37:54 GMT, "Painius"
wrote:

Sorry, but i see Brad get picked on a lot. And frankly,
he does bring much of it on himself.

...And deservedly so. He's obviously in need of a very long
incarceration in a rubber room at the local funny farm. Until that
happens, anytime anyone responds to the retarded ******* for any
reason whatsoever, you're wasting bandwidth.

You seem to be intelligent. Why is it so difficult for you to grasp
that responding to a loon is *not*?

Thank you, OM, you "mantra", you! g Well, maybe
things aren't always as they seem, or maybe Brad can
often appeal to my "cutting-edge" physics/astronomy
mindset. Whatever the reason, i rarely find any cause
for behaving too negatively in a global communications
medium. Improve relations, make the world a better
place, all that stuff.

And i probably have a bit o' the "loon" in me, too. But
then, don't we all.

Thank you again for your earnest attempt at a pleasant
compliment!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: "Be ashamed to die until you have won
some victory for humanity."
Horace Mann

P.P.S.: http://yummycake.secretsgolden.com
http://garden-of-ebooks.blogspot.com