SpaceX Omelek Island

Old September 26th 05, 02:22 AM

Default SpaceX Omelek Island

Can anyone clarify the status of SpaceX's launch facility in the
Kwajalein Atoll?

http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php?p=997 says that SpaceX owns the
Island, but there was an earlier post here that says the army is
leasing it long term from Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Was this island ever part of the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile
Defense Test Site?

Does anyone know of a map on-line which identifies which island it is
in the Kwajalein Atoll?

thanks

Old September 26th 05, 03:33 AM
Cardman

On 25 Sep 2005 18:22:05 -0700, "
wrote:

Can anyone clarify the status of SpaceX's launch facility in the
Kwajalein Atoll?

http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php?p=997 says that SpaceX owns the
Island,

That I would doubt. At most they would have leased it out from the US
military.

but there was an earlier post here that says the army is
leasing it long term from Republic of the Marshall Islands.

True.

Was this island ever part of the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile
Defense Test Site?

I doubt it. There are lots of islands there, where they tended to use
the more important ones. Kwajalein Island, Meck, and Roi-Namur mostly.

Does anyone know of a map on-line which identifies which island it is
in the Kwajalein Atoll?

SpaceX will launch from Omelek Island I hear.

Sorry, but I have not yet seen a map that identified what speck of
land this exactly is, but you may be able to find it from a search.

thanks

np.

Cardman.
Old September 26th 05, 05:02 AM
Allen Thomson

Was this island ever part of the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile
Defense Test Site?

I doubt it. There are lots of islands there, where they tended to use
the more important ones. Kwajalein Island, Meck, and Roi-Namur mostly.

Yes, it is an part of the test range. See
http://www.smdcen.us/pubdocs/files/s...si_13dec04.pdf

Figure 1-2 in the document show where Omelek is in the atoll.

Old September 26th 05, 07:02 PM
puddl duk

Thanks.

Does anyone know which (if any) configuration SpaceX built the launch
complex to (out of the four shown) ?