WHAT WILL NASA SAY???

Old July 26th 03, 01:10 PM
Fred Garvin

Default WHAT WILL NASA SAY???

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:52:37 -0400, Hallerb wrote:

If a future shuttle has a serious problem, it makes a low orbit but is
unable to deorbit? Unable to reach ISS, its destination its stuck in a
low decaying orbit but the crew will die before reentry.

Sadly it will also be a hazard to whoever is in its reentry footprint of
debris. Fear of this causes chaos with people trying to flee the area.
Lives are lost.General panic disrupts lives and the economy too

After the clean up it becomes clear this loss was also preventable if
they could of gotten some spare parts to the stranded shuttle in time.

This was looked at for Columbia but not acted on.

How will you nasa explain this oversite?

Lets remember IF we had known Columbia had a problem and had a emergency
fast launch capability a power pod would of been sent up for electricity,
and other essentials. This would of been followed by atlantis to return
the crew and very possibly a emergency repair kit we may have saved the
orbiter too.

Granted we had neither, but we are now clearly aware such a situation can
occur.

Call me names, knock my grammar and spelling, say plonk, whatever it does
NOT atter what you post here.

But how will NASA explain such a thing?

*PLONK*

(I've had enough of this moron.)
Old July 27th 03, 10:32 AM
Eddie Trimarchi

The idea that every single possible outcome should be foreseen and catered
for in advance is ludicrous. As problems happen, solutions are formed to
stop the same thing happening again. This is called progress.

The boneheads sit back and watch progress have a hiccup and shout "It never
should have happened" when in reality it's all just a part of progress. It's
so important that people are willing to give their lives fully knowing the
risks. What will Nasa say? They will say something appropriate at the
time.With every disaster comes a new understanding of the deficienies and
another step towards remedying it. Onward and upward!

I for one am fully accepting of the idea that I may be killed by a piece of
space debris at any moment. Life is dangerous, it could be a plane ....Will
you now post.... WHAT WILL QUANTAS SAY??? I might get hit by a bus tomorrow
should I post...WHAT WILL THE BUS COMPANY SAY???

Death is a part of life that we have to learn to live with. And if you
haven't worked it out already, I think NASA are doing a great job. I have
them to thank for some of the most inpirational human events I have
witnessed in my lifetime. I suspect the same applies to you, but it could be
just wishful thinking...
--

Regards,

Eddie Trimarchi
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.astroshed.com
http://www.fitsplug.com

Old July 27th 03, 10:39 AM
Dale

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:32:42 GMT, "Eddie Trimarchi" wrote:

snipped a bit

Life is dangerous, it could be a plane ....Will
you now post.... WHAT WILL QUANTAS SAY???

LOL BTW, isn't Quantas the only major airline that has never
had a fatality?

Death is a part of life that we have to learn to live with. And if you
haven't worked it out already, I think NASA are doing a great job. I have
them to thank for some of the most inpirational human events I have
witnessed in my lifetime. I suspect the same applies to you, but it could be
just wishful thinking...

I think NASA could do alot better, and I hope that they feel the same way.
But yes to the latter part- I can't imagine what my view of the world would
be now had I not grown up with the race to the moon. Pretty bleak, I fear.

Dale
Old July 27th 03, 11:54 AM
Dale

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:57:41 +0000 (UTC), Dan Foster wrote:

QANTAS (Queensland And Northwest Territory Aerial Services) has had
a crash-free half century But they did have a crash when they were
named QANTAS Empire Airways which had a DHA-3 Drover turboprop plane
crash into the Gulf of Huan while approaching Lae on July 6, 1951.
Seats 6-7... on that flight, all 7 didn't make it.

Still an enviable record. Thanks for the spelling correction on their name.
My "oz.net" ISP is in Seattle, USA- not Australia

Dale

Old July 27th 03, 12:02 PM
Dale

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:07:40 GMT, "Eddie Trimarchi" wrote:

Personally I think Queensland deserves two letters in the acronym, but
perhaps we should revert to the correct spelling

I don't want to spoil they're fatality record, so let's hope I get hit by
Virgin flight!

Yeah, that's pretty much every guy's dream, isn't it??

Obviously way past my bedtime,
Dale

Old July 28th 03, 04:25 AM
Stephen Stocker

In article , Hallerb wrote:
[...]

"Plonk" being a term worthy of any self-respecting teenybopper.

Seriously, these are good questions, and the fact that they've been
asked before makes them no less valid. I hope you keep asking them,
regardless of the noise-making on here.

Steve
Old July 28th 03, 09:34 PM
Hallerb

Exactly what sort of failure would lead to this situation? The
shuttle has two OMS pods. Each pod not only has an OMS engine that
can do the de-orbit on its own, but smaller RCS engines that can be
used as a backup. These same engines could be used to raise the orbit
if necessary. Each OMS pods has its own fuel/oxidizer tanks as well.
There is multiple redundancy built into these systems, for good
reason.

I just don't see how you get into the situation you describe. You
remind me of the type of person who would refuse to wear their
seat belt while driving in Arizona. Why? Because you might
accidentally drive into a large body of water and be unable to escape
the sinking car due to the seat belt getting stuck.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.

Even Roger B, retired FDO says theres lots of ways a shuttle could get
stranded.

Perhaps he would like to list some?

Risks Hallerb Space Shuttle 38 July 26th 03 01:57 AM
Shuttle Investigator Faults NASA for Complacency Over Safety Scott M. Kozel Space Shuttle 1 July 20th 03 01:35 PM
NASA Announces Independent Engineering and Safety Center Ron Baalke Space Shuttle 0 July 15th 03 04:16 PM
NYT: NASA Management Failings Are Linked to Shuttle Demise Recom Space Shuttle 11 July 14th 03 05:45 PM
NASA: Gases Breached Wing of Shuttle Atlantis in 2000 Rusty Barton Space Shuttle 2 July 10th 03 01:27 AM