Spitzer and WISE on the search for brown dwarfs and "Nemesis" planet

Old July 5th 10, 03:44 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Spitzer and WISE on the search for brown dwarfs and "Nemesis" planet

Coolest stars come out of the dark: Spitzer spies frigid brown dwarfs
"Most of the new brown dwarfs found by Spitzer are thought to belong to
the coolest known class of brown dwarfs, called T dwarfs, which are
defined as being less than about 1,500 Kelvin (2,240 degrees
Fahrenheit). One of the objects appears to be so cold that it may even
be a long-sought Y dwarf -- a proposed class of even colder stars. The T
and Y classes are part of a larger system categorizing all stars; for
example, the hottest, most massive stars are O stars; our sun is a G star."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...cience+News%29
Old July 6th 10, 07:22 PM posted to sci.astro
vtcapo[_2_]

On Jul 5, 10:44*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Coolest stars come out of the dark: Spitzer spies frigid brown dwarfs
"Most of the new brown dwarfs found by Spitzer are thought to belong to
the coolest known class of brown dwarfs, called T dwarfs, which are
defined as being less than about 1,500 Kelvin (2,240 degrees
Fahrenheit). One of the objects appears to be so cold that it may even
be a long-sought Y dwarf -- a proposed class of even colder stars. The T
and Y classes are part of a larger system categorizing all stars; for
example, the hottest, most massive stars are O stars; our sun is a G star.."http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100629112152.htm?utm_sou...

Kirkpatrick says that it's possible that WISE could find an icy,
Neptune-sized or bigger object in the far reaches of our solar system
-- thousands of times farther from the sun than Earth. There is some
speculation amongst scientists that such a cool body, if it exists,
could be a brown dwarf companion to our sun. This hypothetical object
has been nicknamed "Nemesis."
"We are now calling the hypothetical brown dwarf Tyche instead, after
the benevolent counterpart to Nemesis," said Kirkpatrick. "Although
there is only limited evidence to suggest a large body in a wide,
stable orbit around the sun, WISE should be able to find it, or rule
it out altogether."

Does this sound like Sitchens Planet X? Ooops, I said a bad word,
Sitchen......

RT