The Harmonic Concordance debunked

Old October 20th 03, 06:38 AM
The Bad Astronomer

Default The Harmonic Concordance debunked

By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse.
The astrologers (ack phhht) are calling this the Harmonic Concordance,
and are giving it a lot of New Age mumbo-jumbo relevance. I'm sure the
planetarians here have heard about this from the public!

I have written a webpage debunking it. The address is
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/concordance.html, though if you
go to my main page you'll see my punning wit and Photoshop skills.

The key to this whole thing is the use of Chiron in the alignment.
Yes, Chiron, the 200 km wide 18th magnitude ball of ice 1.8 billion km
from the Earth.

Feh.

Anyway, enjoy, if you can.
Old October 20th 03, 08:58 AM
Ante Perkovic

The Bad Astronomer wrote:

By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse.

Speaking of alignment:
Comet C/2001 HT50 LINEAR-NEAT will be just 2 degrees from the moon during
the eclipse! This is a unique chance to see 10.9 mag comet during a full
moon )). Maybe someone can photograph it?

Ante
--
http://astro.fdst.hr

Old October 20th 03, 11:40 AM
Hilton Evans

"Ante Perkovic" wrote in message ...
The Bad Astronomer wrote:

By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse.

Speaking of alignment:
Comet C/2001 HT50 LINEAR-NEAT will be just 2 degrees from the moon during
the eclipse! This is a unique chance to see 10.9 mag comet during a full
moon )). Maybe someone can photograph it?

Thanks for the heads up. I might just try that.

--
Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old October 20th 03, 12:34 PM
Davoud

The Bad Astronomer wrote:
By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse...
The astrologers (ack phhht) are calling this the Harmonic Concordance...

Ante Perkovic:
Speaking of alignment:
Comet C/2001 HT50 LINEAR-NEAT will be just 2 degrees from the moon during
the eclipse!

*****

Uh-oh. This could throw some Disharmony into the Concordance. We all
know that comets are Harbingers of Bad Doo-Doo (sorry for the technical
jargon; sometimes it is unavoidable in the pursuit of Scientific
Accuracy). Best we all bring out our Aquarian Crystals and spread them
liberally about our hovels, particularly near the windows. This will
capture the energy of this Concordance, be it Harmonic or Otherwise,
and rebroadcast it through our hovels, with the effect that Harmony, if
it be that, will be amplified, while Disharmony (if that be the case)
will be attenuated by aphasia.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old October 20th 03, 01:39 PM
Dan Wenz

The Bad Astronomer wrote:

By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse.
The astrologers (ack phhht) are calling this the Harmonic Concordance,
and are giving it a lot of New Age mumbo-jumbo relevance. I'm sure the
planetarians here have heard about this from the public!

I have written a webpage debunking it. The address is
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/concordance.html, though if you
go to my main page you'll see my punning wit and Photoshop skills.

The key to this whole thing is the use of Chiron in the alignment.
Yes, Chiron, the 200 km wide 18th magnitude ball of ice 1.8 billion km
from the Earth.

Feh.

Anyway, enjoy, if you can.

Thanks, I did - nice "dissertation"! Only one fault I can see - it's
"thphht", NOT "phhht" ;-

Old October 20th 03, 03:32 PM
Randy

"The Bad Astronomer" wrote in message
om...
By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse.
The astrologers (ack phhht) are calling this the Harmonic Concordance,
and are giving it a lot of New Age mumbo-jumbo relevance. I'm sure the
planetarians here have heard about this from the public!

I have written a webpage debunking it. The address is
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/concordance.html, though if you
go to my main page you'll see my punning wit and Photoshop skills.

The key to this whole thing is the use of Chiron in the alignment.
Yes, Chiron, the 200 km wide 18th magnitude ball of ice 1.8 billion km
from the Earth.

Feh.

Anyway, enjoy, if you can.

Pretty tragic that something like this needs to be "debunked". Doesn't say
much for the education system, does it?

--
-Randy (OF+)
'Up the stairs.

Old October 20th 03, 04:31 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Hi,

Ante Perkovic wrote:
The Bad Astronomer wrote:

By now, a lot of you have probably heard about a so-called planetary
alignment on November 8/9 that is concurrent with the lunar eclipse.

Speaking of alignment:
Comet C/2001 HT50 LINEAR-NEAT will be just 2 degrees from the moon during
the eclipse! This is a unique chance to see 10.9 mag comet during a full
moon )). Maybe someone can photograph it?

FYI: it should be running more like magnitude 11.9...

For updated comet information see:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets.html

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Old October 20th 03, 05:19 PM
Chosp

"Dan Wenz" wrote in message

Thanks, I did - nice "dissertation"! Only one fault I can see - it's
"thphht", NOT "phhht" ;-

My dictionary shows them to be two different words
with slightly different meanings and different etymologies.
They are, however, often pronounced just about the
same.
Ahem....

Old October 20th 03, 06:48 PM
John Carruthers

Uh-oh. This could throw some Disharmony into the Concordance. We all
know that comets are Harbingers of Bad Doo-Doo
Davoud

Fear Not, Oh Davoud; For I, MinG the MinGer, Have Many "Anti Bad
DooDoo" Pills For Sale.
Send 3 Rustproof ShillinGs to ming@gilgameshtoad .....trust me.
jc

---

Old October 21st 03, 09:52 AM
Ante Perkovic

Greg Crinklaw wrote:

Hi,

Ante Perkovic wrote:

snip

Speaking of alignment:
Comet C/2001 HT50 LINEAR-NEAT will be just 2 degrees from the moon during
the eclipse! This is a unique chance to see 10.9 mag comet during a full
moon )). Maybe someone can photograph it?

FYI: it should be running more like magnitude 11.9...

For updated comet information see:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets.html

Hi, Greg

Where did You find that info? Is there some recent magnitude estimates for
this comet? That would explain why I can't see it in my 4.5" dob.

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephem.../2001HT50.html still gives
mag 10.9 for November 9th.

Ante