"In a Year of 13 Moons"

Old November 8th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,sci.astro
John Schutkeker

Default "In a Year of 13 Moons"

"Randall Coleman" wrote in

wrote

... not quite the same vocabulary, but I work for a company that
works on a 13 period accounting calendar. So we recieve 13 pay
cheques a year, one every 4 weeks. However, every seven years we have
a 53 week year, whereby one of 'periods' is 5 weeks instead of four

a similar mechanism for the same problem

Thanks for that input. I haven't found a calendar system that makes
an adjustment every seven years, but your post verifies that that can
work.

You posted to the wrong group. If you'd posted to sci.astro, you would
have had more expert answers than you could answer. They're talking
about our calendar. There is no system that adjusts the calendar every
seven years.

Until I read the first response, I thought that there were always 13
months in a year. If there are 12 and a fraction months in one, then
every few years that fraction will align just right so that the year
both begins and ends with a new moon (or a full one, if you prefer).
Then there are 13 "moons" in a year.

If the first responder's numbers are accurate, that number is not 7. He
quoted 12.38 months per year, which means that it would happen every
three years, with a further correction for the gradual accumulation of
the renmaining 0.05. Thus, ever twenty years, you would have a thirteen
month year every two years.

I suspect that the number 7 is taken from the number of days in the
week, although I can't quite put my finger on what they were trying to
conjure up.
Old November 9th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,sci.astro
Randall Coleman

"John Schutkeker" wrote in message
. 17.102...
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted my question at sci.astro. Let's see if
I get any results.

Randall Coleman

Old November 10th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,sci.astro
Prai Jei

John Schutkeker (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
02:

Until I read the first response, I thought that there were always 13
months in a year. If there are 12 and a fraction months in one, then
every few years that fraction will align just right so that the year
both begins and ends with a new moon (or a full one, if you prefer).
Then there are 13 "moons" in a year.

It's very nearly 12 8/19 lunar months in a year. (Actually a wee bit less,
it was more exact when the Julian calendar was in use.) Thus the sequence
of new moon dates will repeat every 19 years (228 calendar months, 236
lunar orbits), the so-called "golden number" sequence in which each year is
allocated a number from 1 to 19. The golden number 1 is taken by years
which are multiples of 19, most recently 1995. The year 2006 has the golden
number 12.

The same fraction 8/19 is the reason why the Jewish calendar puts a 13th
month in the year eight times in a 19-year cycle.
--
Terms and conditions apply. Batteries not included. Subject to status.
Always read the label.

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Old November 11th 06, 11:12 AM posted to sci.astro
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article ,
Prai Jei wrote:

John Schutkeker (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
02:

Until I read the first response, I thought that there were always 13
months in a year. If there are 12 and a fraction months in one, then
every few years that fraction will align just right so that the year
both begins and ends with a new moon (or a full one, if you prefer).
Then there are 13 "moons" in a year.

It's very nearly 12 8/19 lunar months in a year. (Actually a wee bit less,
it was more exact when the Julian calendar was in use.)

One synodic month = 29.530588853 days

29.530588853 * (12 + 8/19) = 366.800998....
29.530588853 * (12 + 7/19) = 365.246756....

A year isn't very nearly 366.8 days..... :-)

Thus the sequence
of new moon dates will repeat every 19 years (228 calendar months, 236
lunar orbits), the so-called "golden number" sequence in which each year is
allocated a number from 1 to 19. The golden number 1 is taken by years
which are multiples of 19, most recently 1995. The year 2006 has the golden
number 12.

The same fraction 8/19 is the reason why the Jewish calendar puts a 13th
month in the year eight times in a 19-year cycle.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/